Scotty Electrics - To Plug or not to plug

Jockey

My electric downriggers are currently hard wired to the battery (with a fuse of course) so they do not have the scotty plugs.

I have been thinking about installing plugs because it is nice to be able to take the downriggers off when halibut fishing or leaving the boat outside un attended for peice of mind. It is too much of a PITA to disconnect them from the battery and re connect when taking them on and off so currently they just stay mounted all the time.

I am thinking about installing plugs but I had another idea. Can't I just install little quick connects so I can clip and unclip the wires? This will essentially leave the downriggers hard wired but I will be able to disconnect closer to the downrigger when taking them off like a plug. The price difference is $2 per side instead of almost $50 per side, the quick connects are a lot smaller and I don't need to drill any new holes or install any plugs.

It's a choice between the scotty plugs
http://www.eagleeyecanada.com/Scotty_Accessories-12V_ConnectPro_Downrigger_Plug_Receptacle.html

Or
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...+Male+&+Female+Disconnect,+4-pc.jsp?locale=en

Any reason why those quick connects will not work? I know I will have to be aware of corrosion but that applies to both options and I don't think it will be much of an issue once taped and heat shrink is applied.

I can't figure out for the life of me why Scotty changed to a straight in plug.....they get in the way

the old plugs plug in from the bottom and only stand off the bulkhead a bit....they don't get in the way...

if you're installing plugs I'd look around for the old ones if you can find them...maybe a Scotty repair shop up your way.....I know the repair shop down here carries both

I would go the Scotty route IMO. Scotty stuff is desgined well and stays working for long periods as long as you maintain it - which is easy to do. I have had corrosion on wires that I carfeully heat shrinked and taped (i.e. the corrosion creept up the wire from the connection point and eventually turned the cooper wire into green dust). You don't want your downriggers going down when you need them when out on the water. Those our my thoughts on it.

I would be worried about overheating the connection more than corrision.
Take those clips apart a few times and the "spring / tension" will start to deteriote on the female connector.
The male connectors snap at the base of the plastic insulation.
Seen it plenty of times.
I suppose if you only took it apart on rare occasions it would work.
Would I do it.
No Way.
Dan.

I would go the Scotty route IMO. Scotty stuff is desgined well and stays working for long periods as long as you maintain it - which is easy to do. I have had corrosion on wires that I carfeully heat shrinked and taped (i.e. the corrosion creept up the wire from the connection point and eventually turned the cooper wire into green dust). You don't want your downriggers going down when you need them when out on the water. Those our my thoughts on it.

I dont agree with this at all. I use cheap spade connectors.. and I replace them every season with new ones for just pennies. I will never buy 30$ plug in just because it says "scotty" that only lasts a couple seasons, and may leave you hanging when you really need to get em up in a hurry!

There are some great weather proof connectors that cost alot less then $30 and do just as good of a job. But my Scotty connectors came free with my new riggers so I am using them for now....

Jockey, I use the cheaper in wire marine grade connectors for my VHF and black box so that I can remove them from my boat . X2 what IFL says ....... just change em when they wear out. The only difference with my radio and BB vs the downriggers are that unless the rigger wiring connection was well protected from the weather/salt spray it could be more exposed to the elements than my radio and BB wiring .

I use the Scotty plugs and have never replaced 1 in over 20 years of use. I have mine mounted under the gunnel where they stay dry..I applied a non conductive grease to them every year and take both ends apart each spring and replace the wire connectors and polish up the male brass end of the plug. The female end is stainless and doesn't need any attention. I leave my riggers connected all summer, I don't pull them off each day after use. I always turn off the power at the main switch at the end of the day. Simple maintenance each spring is the key.

I use the new Scotty connectors-You seem to have to re-wire and clean connectors and wires every 2 years. I am seriously thinking of going back to the way I used to do it. Get a set of # 10 wire plug type connectors from Lordco -make your connection in a dry spot which is easy to get at-Put a little di-electic grease inside the plug-plug together and then cover the plug in Liquid tape. Lasts for years and it's no big deal to unplug and reseal again.

I use the new style Scotty plugs because I had them, but why not a good outdoor extension cord plug. Male and female plugs should work and would be way cheaper then the Scotty's.

I just put the new style scotty plugs in this summer and I like them so far. They are mounted under the gunnel out of exposure to spray etc. I always carry dielectric grease on board and apply it every so often.

Who has had problems with the new style plug and why?

As for the op's question. I would always have some kind of quick disconnect on my downriggers. I like to take them off for lets say a just bottom fishing trip or just running around with the kids or family members when not fishing etc.

I also have the Scotty connectors (old style) and they are mounted under the gunnels so they stay dry. Every 4 - 5 years I take them apart and clean them and smear dielectric grease on them. Never had a problem.

The new Scotty twistlock style is actually a very good product that is designed for a saltwater environment. The problem with using standard cord end attachments Casper, is that they are only plated and will patina, creating additional resistance in the line (resistance is bad).Scotty plugs are stainless,which will resist corrosion and last far longer than something not designed for saltwater, which is corrosive by nature.
That's why marine grade material costs so much.
The new plugs are worth it, and if you spend 5$ every year, plus your time on repair/install with a cheap product, doesn't it seem reasonable to spend a little extra to get something you dont have to replace every year?

And no, I dont work for Scotty Plastics

I also have the Scotty connectors (old style) and they are mounted under the gunnels so they stay dry. Every 4 - 5 years I take them apart and clean them and smear dielectric grease on them. Never had a problem.

I had used the old style scotty plugs as well all my life until this year. I like how the the new style scotty plugs "lock" into place and can't be pulled out by accident etc. I like how the female receptacle has a waterproof flap that you close over it. What is not to like?

I replaced the old plug style with Marinco. They still get corroded and ugly. Prolly 'cause they were 1st located in a questionable location. If you don't have bulkhead issues, hardwiring with a simpler plug and a fuse would be a good option. Use dilectric/vaseline on all exposed connections, clean every now and then w/a dremel.

The new Scotty twistlock style is actually a very good product that is designed for a saltwater environment. The problem with using standard cord end attachments Casper, is that they are only plated and will patina, creating additional resistance in the line (resistance is bad).Scotty plugs are stainless,which will resist corrosion and last far longer than something not designed for saltwater, which is corrosive by nature.
That's why marine grade material costs so much.
The new plugs are worth it, and if you spend 5$ every year, plus your time on repair/install with a cheap product, doesn't it seem reasonable to spend a little extra to get something you dont have to replace every year?

And no, I dont work for Scotty Plastics

I have a set of Scotty DR's that are a few years old. They came with the new twist lock connectors and the connectors still look brand new. There is zero corrosion on these connectors and they may indeed be stainless steel. I have had no problems and I do prefer them to the old style. However My uncle bought a pair of the new HP Scotty DR's last April with the same connectors. Maybe things have changed because he has corrosion on both his connectors and the tin has wore off to show copper underneath. Cleaned it up and added di-electric grease and things look OK. Just wanted to add this because of Hoochiebobs comment on the stainless steel part. He probably has the older one like mine. It could be that Scotty's new twist plugs are not the same as there were a few years ago.
GLG

I just give the plugs a shot of Corrosion Block every now and then. never had a problem

Interesting... Words from the Scotty rep were that they are stainless prongs. Would be interested to know myself if this was a recent change in design, or if the rep meant stainless plating(which I have never heard of).
My plugs look immaculate after their third season , so you may be correct GLG. If they did change the design, I would be extremely disappointed. Would like to know if anybody else has had a corrosion issue with the new style.

If I gotta eat my own words cuz someone lied to me, I'll be pissed

Salesman have been known to speak with fork tongues.:(
Or it could be their supplier that has subed in some cheaper parts. It seams to be the smaller post on the two connectors that is tinned copper. the lager post has no corrosion. I was thinking of just taking them apart and putting more solder on them but know I might just bring them to the attention of Scotty. It also makes me wonder what the female part of the plug is made out of. Way to much fishing to be done till I can rip every thing apart and fix. Who would have guessed that Scotty's top of the line DR would be such a pain.
GLG

Back