Scotty 1106 Running Away

Marley

One of my downriggers is running away on me. It hits the auto stop and the free spools until I grab the drag. I assume this is a drag issue and I need to tighten the drag? Though I would get everyone’s thought before I pull it apart and start messing with it.

Can you move the little spring inside over one slot for the extra pressure to pull the handle in. I touched up my pads on the water recently by using a nail file that a fishing guest had with her, worked great on the pads and the friction plate. Used the fish scale for just under 40 lbs for an 18 lb cannonball on the 2100 series.

^^^^^^^

What he said. Take it apart, clean pads, set your tensioner to…..30lbs I think. Use a fish scale to get a static weight that your rigger should to. This allows your rigger to feed cable out should you snag a ball.

Check the spring under the handle. I’ve had this happen, on a west coast trip. Mine broke. I fabbed one out of a duo-lock snap, and replaced later with a Scotty one.

^^^^^^^

What he said. Take it apart, clean pads, set your tensioner to…..30lbs I think. Use a fish scale to get a static weight that your rigger should to. This allows your rigger to feed cable out should you snag a ball.
I used 35 lbs. scale reading for my 1106 series with 15 lb. weights and it was great, but the 2106 Scotty's with 18 lb. weights needed a bit more tension though. Good point on the feed out when snagging bottom. Scotty recommends 35-40.

Also be sure your plastic brake wrench is properly installed. I took mine out thinking I didn't need to stow in in the rigger (I use a socket wrench to remove spool when backlash occurs so plastic wrench was in the way), but discovered that mine slipped until I put the wrench back. I'm not quite sure why, but it appears to help.

Hi guys. Thanks for the advice. Today was cleaning the boat tomorrow is downrigger repair.

Where would be the best place to get a new spring? I live in Vancouver.
Was it broken?

Go to the Scotty website, look at the dealers and repair depots in your area. (you have to enter your area) Or if no rush, email Scotty service and they will mail a couple to you.

I found the problem it wasn’t the spring. It was the handle catching on the housing. Looks like the handle had a ridge on it from when it was made. It was jamming up and not coming back. I filed it down and it’s working great now.

Attachments

• A29F437B-619E-45C1-8BB2-8A425CA74D99.jpeg
    A29F437B-619E-45C1-8BB2-8A425CA74D99.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 109
Well thats a first for me hearing about that??
ive had so many of them springs break thats usually the tell tale sign , Scotty is best by FAR for a local company backing their products they have always been great to me...great ya found the problem

Back