Schooner Cove Boat Launch

Tiki35

I just thought I would let everyone know that they are contemplating closing the boat ramp at Schooner Cove Marina as they go forward with their Seaside Village proposal. It is still in the planning stage at present and they are looking for feedback from the community. As a resident of Fairwinds, this impacts me a great deal.

If anyone else feels the same, I would encourage you to email president@fairwindscommunityassociation.org. All letters will be forwarded to the developer. I stated in my letter that if anything, the ramp should be upgraded so it is steeper so we are not so tide-dependent and then more people will want to use it.

If they close the ramp, they'll have to close the marina as well. You can't have a marina without a boat ramp can you? Anyone remember the pub fiasco at Schooner,sounds like the same thing.

The marina is staying open. But I agree, living a waterfront community without a boat launch is ridiculous. The dozens of acres around the marina including where hotel/pub is will be mostly apartments, but some commercial buildings too.

Nope, not a guide.

I wish they would build a proper dock at Beachcomber so that launch would be usable. No matter how much I try, my wife won't swim out to the boat...lol.

Tiki35, I spoke to someone at the boatshow about this. I really hope they decide to improve the ramp, one of the reasons we have decided to retire in Nanoose is because of the ramp. Also, the staff at the marina are the nicest and friendly people. They have always bent over backwards to squeeze our boat in for transient moorage. And the guys at the office are quick to help with the fishing tips.

Still don't understand the pub closing. My wife and I used to eat in there often, and it was always packed for dinner with the local retired crowd (and the Schooner Cove locals have a couple dollars to spend).

I've always thought that was a pretty nice ramp.

Exactly. My wife and I were in the pub for dinner at least twice a week. I bet it will still be at least another year before construction on this new project starts. I can't believe that they were losing so much money that it is better to just let the building sit there for two years.

If they receive enough negative feedback, we can prevent them from closing the ramp. There is also the problem of where to park our boat trailers. All three proposals I have seen have called for the top gravel parking lot to be turned into a site for condominiums. Most of us park on the road now, but that can fill up fast in the summer.

I was under the understanding the ramp was there before the hotel, and the ramp belonged to the community, much like public beach access.

I have found nothing belongs to a comunity anymore. Look what Mayor Trassolini did in Port Moody. He ruined the launch at Rocky Point by putting a Boathouse Restaurant smack in the middle of the parking lot. They originaly told us it would be built on piles. They lied.

Fairwinds has published their current proposal for the redevelopment of the Schooner Cove marina area. I have an image of their proposal, but I don't know how to bring it into this forum. If someone with the means or knowledge will do it, I will send it to them.

The current proposal shows that a "jib crane" will be stationed in the area where the current ramp/tidal grid exists. If you keep in mind that there is very little financial incentive for Fairwinds to incorporate an "in/out" facility in their development, it is extremely unlikely that this facility either by design or operation will allow for the launching or retrieval of "fishing" boats.

It's unlikely that this change will occur in the very near future, but they are obviously lining up their ducks. There will be a public meeting on April 15 to inform the public of their intentions.

Highlights what is happening in a lot of other places. Losing launch ramps will be a serious problem for all trailer boaters before too long, if it isn't already. The ramp area itself usually doesn't occupy too much area, but with an access road and, more importantly, the parking area that can easily be turned into a condo site, developers are more than willing to ditch the ramp in favour of something that they can turn a quick profit on.
Only solution I can think of is to involve government, local or provincial, but they are loath to involve themselves.

A jib crane would be useless to trailered boats.

I heard that the area proposed for development is owned by the Ontario Teacher's Union Pension Fund and since they are in dire straits financially, hopefully this development will not happen for a long time.

Back