Schooner Cove Launch Ramp

Tiki35

When I was out fishing yesterday, I returned to my truck and there was a flyer on the windshield explaining that Schooner intends to close the boat ramp and tidal grid and information necessary for me to contact my MLA as this is public land that is leased. As a Fairwinds resident, I of course was aware of this and have written many letters to the developer explaining what a bad idea this is. At this point, it appears the closure is inevitable as they are jumping through all the necessary hoops, holding meetings, next comes the public hearing and then the final plans next spring. So basically we want to hear from the community, we don't care what you have to say, and we are going to do it our way regardless.

For those not familiar with the situation, they are planning to put a 10,000 pound jib crane instead of a boat launch. This is useless on so many levels. For starters, it would take a minimum of 20 minutes each time to launch and retrieve. It also requires a crane operator which would finish his/her shift at 6pm. Well since it gets dark at 10 pm during the summer, how useless is that? What about liability issues for damage they could do? A jib crane uses straps that go under the hull. Well I have a bunk trailer so that leaves me out. Under the new plan there is absolutely no parking for boat trailers either. This whole thing is a shame as I specifically bought a house in Fairwinds due to that boat launch.

This has NOT gone away... just got this:

Hi ,

I’m from the PQF&G [ Parksville Fish & Game], current Secretary.

The Club last week got a head’s up that Fairwinds / Nanoose is holding an open house info session this Wednesday on June 26th 4:00-8:00 pm at the Golf Club, concerning an application to remove the Public Boat Ramp. Apparently it doesn’t fit in with their development scheme.Details are at the open house.

Of course this has various user-groups of public access-water concerned and many of us are getting the word out.

The RDN is involved in this process or application.

There is info on web files...

Complete information on the Schooner Cove Zoning Amendment Application (with
links) can be found on the Regional District of Nanaimo website:
http://www.rdn.bc.ca/cms.asp?wpID=1185

I request that the Comox Courtney Fish & game put out a heads up to its membership via your excellent e-mail site to alert everyone and throw in some attendance or submission to defeat this proposed closure.

I understand too from Rodney Weibe BCWF that this may be discussed at the upcoming BCWF Region Meeting in Nanaimo.

Thankyou ,

Peter Bolten

If you guys in the area value your ramp access, I suggest you get to the meeting and let your feelings be known

A 10,000 lb jib crane isn't all that much....how will they get the bigger boats out of there if need be?

Yep...I figured any meetings about it right now are just "info" meetings where they'll try to give the semblance and idea of "public input".......but there isn't any.

This one has been coming for quite awhile.

"They say the ramp doesn't fit in with developer's plans".....

exactly right........the developer's have no interest in promoting a marina for fishing, kayaking, boating purposes at all.

They just want to make a nice little yuppy center for the people who'll be living in the other 700 homes they're going to build around Enos Lake as well.

Correct, they have finally received government approval which what has delayed this for so many years. The owners of the property were very close to backing out of the project because it was taking so long. Fairwinds residents are very much in favour of this proposal. There are two other required meetings after this one (in September and November) before this receives final approval. Rather than invest money in a useless jib crane, I don't know why they don't build a proper dock at Beachcomber so everyone can just launch from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
f You us the ramp there and you can U should show up and voice your opion .. I cannot today but will in Sept and Nov...

:0

I live just down the road and can confirm Tiki's statement that the community wants the development around schooner. Most could care less about the boat launch as it does not affect them but it will sure hurt us who trailer their rigs. It's to bad they can't squeeze a one lane boat launch in the development plans, even if the trailer parking has to be on the far side of the property. I am not in town to attend the meeting but in this case I think the best approach would be to address the areas heritage of being a destination for sports fisherman and explain how this would be a major blow to that era. Ideally they can find balance for both crowds and include a realistic way for sports fisherman to be included in the future developments.

So the community wants the development around Schooner...

I hope they also want the increase in property taxes that will occur as good old Schooner Cove morphs into the Village Of Fairwinds...and then into the town of Fairwinds.

On the RDN plan website they refer to having 86 parking spots...many if which will be up the tennis courts or "some other location".

But the tennis court parking for trailers, according to them, could be cancelled at any time they deem it necessary.

They also say they would consider building an underground parking lot for boat trailers beneath the tennis courts......that will never happen......

Say goodbye , folks.........along come the developers...and...your life is changed forever......

They can put in all the tennis courts they want they will never get used like all the other resorts,villages etc they are just a selling feature.
Is there still a ramp at Beachcomer ?

Yes...there is still a ramp at Beachcomber....but there is no dock beside it.......so it's basically a "wet foot" launch in many instances......

o.k. to get in and out of small boats that you can push up beside the rocks......but a larger boat may be difficult to get in and out of at the ramp without getting your feet wet.

There are already tennis courts behind the now-existing trailer parking area at Schooner.....

Last edited by a moderator:
If they ever did develop the ramp at Beachcomber......they would absolutely need to address the parking issue.

There is very very little parking there at present for trailers.

The Beachcomer ramp had near zero parking even 40 years ago. Once the strat condos went in they removed the limited parking there was and the store and a chunk of the docks. By the 80's if you wanted to park it was on the main road and then the tenants got grumpy and the launch dock was removed. cant have our type trashing up the high end strata.

The Beachcomer ramp had near zero parking even 40 years ago. Once the strat condos went in they removed the limited parking there was and the store and a chunk of the docks. By the 80's if you wanted to park it was on the main road and then the tenants got grumpy and the launch dock was removed. cant have our type trashing up the high end strata.

The marina managers passed away a few years ago and after management changed the launch docks were removed. Not sure why they did this. Parking is very limited now on the side of the street but so is the launches use, this might change if schooner removes the launch.

Without the float the best method is to have 2 guys who know what they are doing (not always possible). Back the boat in with a guy in the boat, launch it. One guy goes and parks the truck, one guy pulls the boat over to the dock, opens the gate and lets the other down. When you get in drop the guy driving the truck off at the dock, he backs down, you load the boat on. Beats nosing into the rocks, getting wet etc.

It's a steeper ramp but it is not good at low tide as it drops right off. I would say you need a slightly higher tide than schooner.

hmmm... thought they had that dock gate locked most of the time at Beachcombers....members only.....

Back