Saving bottom fish

R

rgreen29

I know some anglers , like myself , occasionaly catch a rockfish or two. When I found out they can live to be 100 and reproduce slowly I felt kinda bad about hooking them, But what could I do ? the swim bladder was sticking out,it was dead, or so I thought. I just came across this article on a US web site, dont know if the methods described will work but ill give it a try as I only keep Salmon or Halibut.

Rich

Rockfish have a gas-filled organ, called a swim bladder, that allows the fish to control its buoyancy (figure 1). When rockfish are brought to the surface quickly, the swim bladder can overexpand and burst. The expand-ing gas from the swim bladder can push the stomach out of the mouth and the intestine out the anus. These symptoms may get worse with time at the surface. The fish may also float on the surface, unable to dive back to the bottom. Recompressing or venting the fish may increase the fish’s chance of survival.

Avoidance
Avoiding rockfish you cannot keep is the best option when fishing in water deep enough (60 feet or more) to cause swim bladder problems. If you start to catch rockfish that have to be released, move to a different location. On rockfish you can target, do not high grade (releasing smaller fish so you can keep larger fish) rockfish caught in water deeper than 60 feet. Instead, use larger hooks and bait to discourage smaller fish. Catch-and-release fishing is not a good option in deepwater fishing for fish with well-developed swim bladders.

Recompression Methods
New strategies being developed for releasing rockfish suffering from pressure damage need to be tested to determine long-term survival. You should not assume that a fish survives simply because it swims off on its own after being vented or recompressed and does not return to the surface.

Recompression methods involve assisting the fish back down to a depth where it can descend the rest of the way to the bottom on its own. The greatest relative pressure change occurs in the top 33 feet. Recompression, if done quickly, can reverse some of the damage done by the expanding gas. Even rockfish with severely bulging eyes may survive when recompressed quickly. Different methods have been devel-oped to recompress fish and assist their return to the bottom. One method involves using a weight and a large, inverted, barbless hook. Fish should be hooked from outside to inside through the membrane on the upper lip so that the hook releases effectively (figure 2). The weight must lead the fish into the water and be heavy enough to sink the fish to the desired depth (over three pounds for a large yelloweye).

Figure 1.(omitted) Dissection of a black rockfish showing the location of the swim bladder. (omitted)

Figure 2.(omitted) Left: A barbless hook is inserted into the jaw and the fish is dropped to the release depth. Right: The fish is released by pulling up on the line.

Bill Shelton has developed a modi-fied wire hook clip that can be placed above an angler’s bait and weight (figure 3). The fish is hooked in the mouth on the clip and then brought down to a safe depth, where the fish can be released by a sharp tug on the line.

Another method involves using a container, such as an upside-down milk crate or an inverted, collapsible crab trap, weighted with lead and attached to a rope (figure 4). The container is dropped over the fish and then, with the buoyant fish trapped inside, lowered to a minimum depth of 40 feet and held to allow the fish to swim out on its own. A deeper depth may be needed if fishing in very deep water.

Venting is another method used to deal with fish suffering from overinflated swim bladders (figures 5a and 5b). It involves releasing the gas by puncturing the swim bladder with a hollow tool or needle. This releases some of the pressure on the internal organs of the fish. It is hoped that the fish can then overcome buoyancy problems and swim back down to the bottom. (In some cases when fish are brought up from a great enough depth, sufficient gas remains in the eyes to keep the fish from diving back to the bottom, or the fish is too exhausted to swim to the bottom, even when the swim bladder has been vented.)

Do not vent a fish by piercing the stomach, which is often what you see sticking out of the mouth of the fish. To prop-erly vent a fish, use a hollow venting tool. This can be an 18- gauge needle or a hollow, sharpened, steel cannula mounted on a wooden dowel. Cannulas (16-gauge recommended) can be obtained from farm supply and feed stores.

To avoid getting pricked by the fin spines of the fish, grasp the fish firmly by the head or by the lower lip in a “bass hold,” using a clean, wet hand, glove, or cloth. Insert a venting tool into the body wall at a 45° angle halfway along the length and above the pectoral fin (see figures 5a and 5b). Slip the point of the tool underneath a scale and insert it only deep enough to release the gas. Do not skewer the fish. You should hear or see evidence of gas escaping through the needle or venting tool. Firmly hold the fish but do not squeeze it. Aquarium studies have shown that squeezing can increase the chance of infection.

Figure (omitted) 4. A weighted milk crate can be dropped over a fish and then lowered deep enough to recompress the fish.

Figure (omitted) 3. Bill Shelton has developed the Shelton Fish Descender to bring rockfish back down to be released.

Figure (omitted) 5a. Where to vent a canary rockfish (demonstrated on a quillback rockfish). (Caution: The location of the swim bladder can be different in other species of rockfish.)

Figure (omitted) 5b. A hypodermic needle is inserted at a 45 • angle beneath a scale of a quillback rockfish.

The needle should be cleaned with alcohol or chlorine bleach between each fish to reduce the chance of infection. Infection can be a serious problem with vented fish, so it is preferable to use recompression methods if it is at all feasible. Venting can also puncture internal organs. Also, be careful not to puncture yourself with the needle or the spines of the fish. It is very easy for fishers to develop a bacterial infec-tion from puncture wounds caused by fish spines.

Does Slowly Bringing up a Fish Help Reduce Decompression Damage?
Bringing up a rockfish slowly does not decrease the decompression problem significantly. It takes most rockfish a long time (hours at least) to naturally adjust to pressure changes. When using any of the above release methods, it is very important to bring the fish up at a steady rate and then get it back into the water as fast as possible.

Determining Whether the Fish Needs to Be Recompressed or Vented
A fish needs to be recompressed or vented if one or more of the following conditions exist (figures 6 and 7):

The fish is seriously bloated.
The stomach is visible, sticking out of the fish’s mouth.
The fish floats on the surface when released.
The greater the depth at which the fish was caught, the more likely it will need to be recompressed or vented, especially if the depth is greater than 100 feet. Some fish have reduced or no swim bladders or have swim bladders that can adjust to changes in depth. Such fish do not have trouble swimming back down on their own. Lingcod, cabezon, and greenling (sea trout) do not need to be recompressed or vented.

Other Recompression Devices
New devices are being developed to increase the survival of fish suffering from changes in pressure. The photos in figure 8 show some recompression devices that have worked for other fishers.

Conclusion
The best policy is to try to avoid catching rockfish you can’t keep when you are fishing in water deep enough to cause pressure problems. Do not high grade rockfish.
Recompression is preferred to venting because of venting complications caused by infections, handling, and puncturing of internal organs. Getting the fish quickly back down to depth seems to be the most important factor in decreasing symptoms and damage.

Fish-Handling Tips
Avoid the following:

Using gaffs and landing nets (if possible)
Touching the gills or eyes
Dropping the fish
Use the following precautions:

Handle the fish as little as possible and then, gently. You can hold a rockfish by the lower lip.
Handle the fish with wet hands, wet gloves, or a wet towel to avoid removing protective slime.
Back out hooks or cut leader as close to the hook as possible on throat-hooked fish.
Return the fish to the water as quickly as possible.
Figure 8. (omitted) Some devices designed by fishers for bringing pressure- damaged fish back to the bottom: A—disposable gaff; B and C—hook and drop.

Figure 6.(omitted) A vermillion rockfish that is bloated and has bulging eyes.

Figure 7. (omitted) A canary rockfish is suffering from damage from expanding gases. Its stomach is sticking out of its mouth and it has bulging eyes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This publication was supported by the National Sea Grant College Program of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration under NOAA grant number NA16RG1039 (project number A/ESG-5) and by appropriations made by the Oregon State legislature. The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of any of those organizations.

Credits
Editing and layout: Sandy Ridlington
Photos: Figures 1, 2 (right), and 7 are reprinted by permission from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. The other figures are from Oregon Sea Grant Extension.

Steve Theberge is a Sea Grant Extension agent, stationed in Clatsop County, Oregon. Steve Parker is a research biologist with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Sea Grant Communications
Oregon State University
322 Kerr Administration Bldg.
Corvallis OR 97331-2131
(541) 737-2716, (800) 375-9360
Fax: (541) 737-7958
E-mail: sea.grant.communications@oregonstate.edu

Thanks Rgreen. this a problem that always bugged me as well. I like the idea of the weighed milk crate over the fish to send them back down....

Edited by - ratherbefishin on 04/04/2006 06:09:16

Great tips.I will take a milk crate out next time fishing.

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Here's our problem in Wa.you are only allowed one rock fish per day.You have to keep the first one you catch and it's usually about 8 inches long.Ling cod is out of the question they are closed 10 1/2 months a year.so the little buggers get released .probably most die.

thanks the runt

its pretty easy guys,

lings dont die cause they dont have a closed swim bladder (unless you deep hook them) and they are tough cookies

rockfish really just dont target as they arent worht it anyway, wait till hali season and get your white meat with a fish taht still has healthy stocks. if you nail small ones keep your one for the day and save it for crab/prawn bait.

J/w, but is there a general area that the bigger rock fish ahng out in? Deeper water? Edge of the reef? or is everythng just everywhere? Also, does using bigger lures help get big ones or do the little ones just go after anything

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

On this subject, you are aware in B.C. the Federal Minister of fisheries is looking at privatising all rockfish.
The plans are to go to quota and at this time 100% is allocated to the commercial fleet.

the advantages of going big for bottom fish is twofold in my opinion

1- your less likely to catch many rockfish, and if you do at least what you kill (if fishing deeper then say 40-50 feet) will likley be fairly large so not a waste.

2- generally bigger is a lot better for lings, especially ncie ones, although its a good policy to release the real big ones over 30 pounds or so as they are big time spawners.

as a bonus its easier to keep a heavier (bigger) vertical= less snags.

quote:
On this subject, you are aware in B.C. the Federal Minister of fisheries is looking at privatising all rockfish.
The plans are to go to quota and at this time 100% is allocated to the commercial fleet.

How do you mean "privatising all rockfish"? If anything the commercial fleet is going to get more cutbacks. Also, commercial rockfish has been on the quota system for over 10 years.

We got a milk crate and put 4-1lb weights on it (one on each side). We tied a loop through the top so we would hook a rope on it and out fishing we went. We hooked several rockfish today, but most of them were the brown ones, or the skinny grey ones, these all went back with no problem (we weren't trying, by the way, we were just trolling).

We finally did however, hook a red one, and his bladder was in his mouth. Unfortunately, he floated away from the boat and it took a little while to maneuver the boat over to him. Finally we got the crate over him and lowered him down. No one told us how long it would take, so we waited about 7 minutes. We kept watching to see if he would come popping up somewhere. We finally pulled it in to see if he was still there, and he was GONE! IT WORKED! It was easy, and it works!

So guys, c'mon, we all need a little extra storage in our boats, and a milkcrate can hold a lot of stuff, so everyone needs to have one as a permanant fixture on their boat. I know ours is there to stay!

We got a milk crate and put 4-1lb weights on it (one on each side). We tied a loop through the top so we would hook a rope on it and out fishing we went. We hooked several rockfish today, but most of them were the brown ones, or the skinny grey ones, these all went back with no problem (we weren't trying, by the way, we were just trolling).

We finally did however, hook a red one, and his bladder was in his mouth. Unfortunately, he floated away from the boat and it took a little while to maneuver the boat over to him. Finally we got the crate over him and lowered him down. No one told us how long it would take, so we waited about 7 minutes. We kept watching to see if he would come popping up somewhere. We finally pulled it in to see if he was still there, and he was GONE! IT WORKED! It was easy, and it works!

So guys, c'mon, we all need a little extra storage in our boats, and a milkcrate can hold a lot of stuff, so everyone needs to have one as a permanant fixture on their boat. I know ours is there to stay!

I find I catch at lot less rockfish/lings since speeding up my trolling speeds a few years ago. I almost never catch lings/quillbacks with the faster troll. I still pick up the occassional larger snapper, but a faster troll really cuts down on the bycatch.

The revival methods sound interesting but with a 60 minute fishing window between tides, bringing in the gear, stopping the boat and lowering a milk crate into the water doesn't sound very practical..... troll faster and don't catch them in the first place....

Also why I stopped using anchovies/herring for bottom trolls. Caught way to many dogfish and other misc species with the bait and slower speeds.

I find I catch at lot less rockfish/lings since speeding up my trolling speeds a few years ago. I almost never catch lings/quillbacks with the faster troll. I still pick up the occassional larger snapper, but a faster troll really cuts down on the bycatch.

The revival methods sound interesting but with a 60 minute fishing window between tides, bringing in the gear, stopping the boat and lowering a milk crate into the water doesn't sound very practical..... troll faster and don't catch them in the first place....

Also why I stopped using anchovies/herring for bottom trolls. Caught way to many dogfish and other misc species with the bait and slower speeds.

I suppose we were trolling slowly at times, but we were using no bait at all, only lures. We were out for 9 hours, so 7 minutes to save 1 fish was really no big deal.

We will try increasing the speed a bit, however, we were catching the Springs too, so we don't want to change things too much.

I suppose we were trolling slowly at times, but we were using no bait at all, only lures. We were out for 9 hours, so 7 minutes to save 1 fish was really no big deal.

We will try increasing the speed a bit, however, we were catching the Springs too, so we don't want to change things too much.

quote:Originally posted by drhook

Found this great video on using the crate method.

http://www.sheltonproducts.com/Frankonator.mov

The rockfish appear to recover quite quickly in order to swim out.
Will be giving this a try with the upcoming lingcod season almost upon us.

I have had good luck with the Shelton Product release - rigged inline as pic'd below: http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD.html

SFDanglersetup.jpg

Thanks for posting that link to that video Dr. Hook. That was the video I saw that inspired me to build mine. When the time came to actually try it and post my success, I couldn't find the video again to post the link.

Back