Sansum Narrows

nedarb2

Going to give salmon one last try this sunday before the closure, thinking about doing sansum narrows, that or tent island. So the question is, tent or sansum..and in sansum, i was reading the island outfitters report and it said that in sidney fish 20-60' in the evening..so if iwas insansum as it is not too far away, what depth would you put your lines at? last summer we were there for an afternoon and 60' seemed to be the hot depth, but 20'?! thats liek west coast fishing :p any ideas?

60' is good for Sansum. I'd go up to 20 with one line right before dark, or first light. But seriously, its early for cowichan springs in any #s .Doesn't mean you won't get lucky. Always feeders around.

This time last year I caught a 32 and a 37 at Wayne Rock, in 37 ft fishing 37 on the rigger. Cut down on leader to 50in, Cop car flasher and spoon
good luck!

Was out at Porlier last weekend and got skunked. When we came back into Ladysmith the creel guy said that there were quite a few coming in from the narrows, some guys getting their limits. He said near burial island and the power lines. Not sure what they were using or depth though.

quote:Originally posted by Oglthorpe

Was out at Porlier last weekend and got skunked. When we came back into Ladysmith the creel guy said that there were quite a few coming in from the narrows, some guys getting their limits. He said near burial island and the power lines. Not sure what they were using or depth though.
Funny, maybe he was being goofy. I was at power lines on sunday for pm tide change. Not a boat at power lines or burial. not a fish either.

This was on Saturday when I talked to him, and he said that they were catching these the previous week. He sounded serious, but whoever told him may have been bs'n?

The power lines like in the northern part of the narrows on the way to crofton? Wow 37', im liking this shallow fishing cranking up 100' sucks :p haha thanks alot, so sansum it is then sunday evening..ill try to be out around 5~5:30. Poacher, how long were you fishing for? thart sounds great!
Ill try one line at 60' and the other line at 45' as the evening progresses ill keep moving the lines up if we arnt having any luck. Should i bother with anchovies or are spoons the way to go?

oh what depth should i be fishing in? Last year it was about 250' out about 1/3 across the narrows...near wayne rock..(ill have to find it on the charts tongiht :p) how is the bottom, is it fairly consistant? Thank-you!

Nedarb2, when talking about the power lines in Sansum narrows most people are referring to the fenced area to the west side from Burial.
There isn't actually much for power lines showing except for a small one running up the hill. Mostly it is under ground.
And for Wain Rk., it is the marker at the entrance to Deep Cove on Sannich Peninsula. Its often a good bet. used to fish it back when Mill bay had a annual derby.
Sansum Narrows (power lines) was hot about 3 weeks ago.(So Oglthorpe, rumors could be true) Trolling shallow. Lots of people do well fishing Bold Bluff this early in the season.
ps- I've always done best trolling 'choves around here. and bump up the speed a little.
If I don't get running I might just have to throw the tin can in the water with the kicker and give er a shot.Might see ya there. Whats your boat look like. Its a grady isn't it?

yup it is, 25' w/a. what are you in?..so when you say troll burial, aroe you trolling like 180 degrees around it? I havnt seen anyone fish there, ive only seen ppl fishing at bold bluff and betwwen the cowichan/genoa bay point up that side of the narrows... give me a hollar if your out there, im not too experienced at fising weve only had the boat for 2 seasons now, so hollar at me if you notice im doing anything i shouldnt be ;p haha

Got one 17 pounder this am, white hoochie at 66 ft in 250 feet of water. Only strike of the day.
Just outside of Separation Point.

Good luck to all.

If I get mine goin again I'll take it. 28' glasply .white with red/burgundy trim. If mine is doa, i'll try to hitch a ride in my buddys double eagle.
For fishing burial , fish the south side only. Check your charts. the area is known as Hughys'(sp) Reef. Yes, there are reefs there. Its o.k. though if you know the area.Many people prefer to jerk fish this area.
I prefer to troll the shore line from power lines to seperation pt.
(thats the point you referred to before Genoa Bay)

great, thank-you very much knucklebuster and everybody else, hopefully ill be able to find a fish now :)

quote:Originally posted by Time

Got one 17 pounder this am, white hoochie at 66 ft in 250 feet of water. Only strike of the day.
Just outside of Separation Point.

Good luck to all.
Time, you must have been a fair ways off shore. Thats how I start. I'll set up on the Cow bay side of Seperation then troll around the point , all the way to just past power lines. Then turn around and do it all again. Throwing in some zig zags along the way.
I always remember something I read from Charlie White years ago.
He said-'If you haven't had a strike for 20 minutes, change something. Speed ,depth,direction, gear. Just change something till you get it.'

Thats it! I'm closin shop and headin to the boat. Got some parts. got a plan. Gonna get that baby goin.
and if that doesn't work, I'll be at the wind jammer(j/k)
I'm goin fish'n

went out tonight, about 10 boats out or so, but everything was dead dead dead, one fish was reported being cought the whole day, it was taken south of burial. I fished bold bluff and the bay south of it, and the power lines. It was a little bumpy near seperation point around 5 when we gout out, but everything calmed down by about 6,it was a very nic evening..ill be out tomorrow night agian to try our luck..i only used coyote spoons by the way, didnt want to bother with bait, but ill use it tomorrow

knucklebuster/anybody else that got out, how did you do? My dad wanted to go north today,so we went to porlier for almost 3 hours, cought 6 rock cod, in 3 hours, the biggest one was maybe 6 inches, we couldnt catch anything anywhere. THere was one other boat out there with us and amazingly we were catching more than them. So after porlier we went to Tent and trolled for about 1.5 hours and not even a nibble, we were using anchovies. Good news is though, the livwell worked great for the 40 prawns we got in our 1 trap ;p

Went out sat. evening about the same time as you. didn't see you though. Trolled between power line to seperation .Nothing but dogfish. The one fish that was caught below burial was a buddy of mine. 15#er caught on jig at 8:30 am. They fished all day and nothing else.
Sunday went out at 4:00 . Had one hit ? on coyote. Released clip.
another 3 or 4 weeks before big # will be in. If they show up. Then its all catch and release. and reduced area.

Being as it is July 31, we put a full 8 hour day into Samsum Narrows.
Nada.
Maybe they will be laaate this year and still be around for October 16.

Meanwhile, where to go next?
Pedder, Sooke, Renfrew (inshore only), or, in a couple weeks, Alberni.

C'est la vie. The smile is still on even without any fish today.

quote:Originally posted by Time

Maybe they will be laaate this year and still be around for October 16.
Geuss that all depends on how much rain we will get. Then of course , there will be chum.

Back