Sand heads

Dennis.t

Just wondering, what is the best, closet launch to access the Sandheads. The only launch ive used out that way is Tsswasssin, im thinking that is too far of a run from the Sandheads? I be coming out from Chilliwack. Want to try and catch some Sockeye this summer...:p

Dennis, Wellington Park in ladner or there is other ones in ladner, richmond also has a launch in steveston at the end of no.2 rd that basically puts you right at the jetty and then out to the sand heads.

I would launch out at McDonald beach in Richmond it spits you out of the north arm of the fraser. I have heard of guys launching in ladner also but I don't know the name of that launch that would spit you out the south arm of the fraser. theres also a launch at the port mann but then you have to spend 30 minutes or so running. last year I launched at port mann everytime and this year ive been launching at mc Donald beach find its got lots of parking and I burn way less fuel

hey scotty

whats the name of the launch at 2rd ? assuming that's scotch pond where all the commercial boats are tied up

The launch at the end of number 2 is a good launch not sure it has a name, Wellington is a little rougher.
It is going to be Freaking busy, Mcdonald might be the way to go with all the ramps
And parking

The launch at the end of number 2 is a good launch, Wellington is a little rougher.
It is going to be Freaking busy, Mcdonald might be the way to go with all the ramps
And parking

Hi FS, I use all those launches regularly. Depending on the size of your boat you may have to watch the tides carefully in Ladner. The launch at the end of 2 Rd in Richmond is managed by the Steveston Harbour authority. It is a good launch however like Mcd beach there is a fee.

Captains Cove Marina in Ladner. Its a free Launch with good parking and a nice ramp. In the Summer the rcmp like to road checks on your way out so lay off the wobbly pops if you launch there.

I will be launching a new to me 18 ft Hourston Glasscraft. I have launched before at Mcdonald beach. I didn't like navigating out of the North Arm when those big tugs are moving about. Lol. Captains Cove Marina in Ladner sounds good. How far a run to the Sandheads is it from there?

Bout a 10 to 15 min run to sandheads. We'll be out there when it picks up

10-15 minutes from Captains Cove?! Wow, you must be cooking. Its about 10 nautical miles so at 20 knots that's about 30 minutes.... I do the run from Steveston to the sand heads in about 15, weather dependent. Tides and wind can be a beeatch out there.

10-15 minutes from Captains Cove?! Wow, you must be cooking. Its about 10 nautical miles so at 20 knots that's about 30 minutes.... I do the run from Steveston to the sand heads in about 15, weather dependent. Tides and wind can be a beeatch out there.
Yes,thats another concern. At what wind speed and direction is it not a good idea to run out there? What tides are best as well to go out that way?

The closest launch is Steveston harbor authority launch just to the right at the south end of #2 rd. I think it is $12.00 per day to use. This is the only launch that tides do not matter at all, as it is deep enough to go at the lowest tides and the ramp is not an axle eater at low tide. McDonald, Capn's cove and Wellington all have issues at low tide.

Yes,thats another concern. At what wind speed and direction is it not a good idea to run out there? What tides are best as well to go out that way?
SW, W, or NW winds over 15knots start to get nasty, combined with an out going tide, you could encounter standing waves over 8' in the river.

Just wondering, what is the best, closet launch to access the Sandheads. The only launch ive used out that way is Tsswasssin, im thinking that is too far of a run from the Sandheads? I be coming out from Chilliwack. Want to try and catch some Sockeye this summer...:p

You gonna floss them, Dennis? ;)

I wouldn't launch at MacDonald beach lower than a 4' low and I've hit a few deadheads coming in as they are all pointing at you with the current (lots of wood in the N arm). Steveston is the best (end of #2 rd) but your trailer can drop off the end of the concrete ramp at extreme low water.

Thanx for all the tips boys. Super excited to get back on the salt with a new to me boat. We sold our former Salt water boat when the Fraser River Fishery took off. Now after 10 yrs of doing that, and fed up with what it has become. It was time get another boat and pass on our great West Coast Salt water fishery to my son, as my Dad passed on to me.:cool:

Attachments

• New Boat 015.jpg
    New Boat 015.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 159
Dennis, the 2 road ramp is good BUT the parking is brutal ! Not a lot of space when it's a weekend or the fishing is good . McDonald is good too, lots of parking and is good access for the Q A , T 10, Iona, Sandheads is a bit of a run, Van harbour, Bowen etc fishing. The sox do stack up off Sandheads, all the way to van harbour so don't just think you have to fish Sandheads. I do a lot of mine starting at the North arm jetty and head towards sand heads. Many times bang em right there. The two ramps of McDonald and 2 road are almost all tide ramps and will work most of the time with your Hourston pictured ....... Ferry rd ramp, or capt. Cove as they call it can be dicey getting in or out, the water and wake boarders use it a lot along with native fishery for unloading and can be a DRAG when ya just want to get out. If you need any more info P M me . I too am looking forward to what is suppose to come but won't believe it till I see it. 2010 was unreal ! Fantastic, 2011 was no slouch either. But the 7 to 72 million guesstimate is hilarious. Good luck to you.
Ht

Back