Saanich Peninsula Launches

tbeatm

Tulista boat ramp seems to be getting hammered already, great job by the volunteers directing traffic as best they can from what I have seen. Only witnessed a couple of arguments so far in July! I imagine it will only get worse once August 1st hits.

Any word on more parking availability since the Anacortes isn't running this summer, maybe overflow into their area at all? A friend of mine told me they did last year but I wasn't around to confirm.

Still can't believe there is only one solid launch on this side, launching from the Tsartlip spot doesn't make much sense depending what you are targeting. Is anyone aware of movement on another spot to launch out that way?

Waterfront property is basically unobtainable. Not many places geographically that would be suitable for a launch between 10 mile point and Sidney without some major excavating and construction of a breakwater. Could you imagine the nimby backlash.

Yeah, fair point. Maybe no new launch, but a few more parking spots sure would be nice!
Town of Sidney do not want to deal with it. They say the the anacortes ferry compound is a secure landing for customs and immigration. It has been tried ever since covid stopped the ferry. Maybe everyone start writing to the town of Sidney, might help

I know there's the smaller lot across the street for longer than 24hrs and weiler st as well for parking. Are you allowed to park on weiler st for longer than 24hrs?

Why can’t the launch at island view be fixed up ? I know it costs money and the parking sucks but it’s already owned by the CRD ? I was thinking it could take some of the pressure off Tulista and allow for smaller boats to launched ?
There sure needs to be more than 2 quality launches between Esquimalt and Goldstream! We have Esquimalt Anglers and Tulista plus several that have no finger floats for handling larger boats.

Island View has zero protection, so unless a breakwater was built [a tough assignment as already said], the best that could be done is to have a seasonal finger float. As it is, boats like my old 16' Skookum Sealer are the biggest I'd want to launch there.

I think Cattle Point [second ramp] has more protection, and more hope of keeping finger floats at least seasonally [the main ramp is too exposed for floats to survive].

This issue needs some kind of collective approach to deal with all the different municipalities [Sidney, Oak Bay, Victoria, Esquimalt] and authorities [CRD Parks, Harbour Authority]....

When the Institute of Ocean Sciences was built in Pat Bay back in the early 70's Justin's dad's government put out and information pamphlet to the residence that when they build IOS they would build a boat launch. There are no more copies of this pamphlet but a few folks that had it would swear and sign an affidavit that it existed and promised a boat launch.

Any legal folks here that would like to advise or take on and sue the government about a broken promise?

They have 5 acres beside IOS that is vacant land. It's just a mound of dirt from the excavation of the build.

When the Institute of Ocean Sciences was built in Pat Bay back in the early 70's Justin's dad's government put out and information pamphlet to the residence that when they build IOS they would build a boat launch. There are no more copies of this pamphlet but a few folks that had it would swear and sign an affidavit that it existed and promised a boat launch.

Any legal folks here that would like to advise or take on and sue the government about a broken promise?

They have 5 acres beside IOS that is vacant land. It's just a mound of dirt from the excavation of the build.
The seaplane ramp beside IOS is the first place I ever launched my Skookum Sealer in 1981 -- popped from the mold, placed on a defunct trailer and walked to the ocean by a few of us! Many a dive trip and camping trip followed. Never from IOS.

I'm surprised there isn't one for emergency access from our land based SAR groups along the East side. How about adjacent to the QA Hospital? Could you imagine the uproar? There's a RV park in a ok spot, down on a little peninsula at the end of Campion Rd.
How about talking the First Nations at Saanichton Bay to have the government build them a Marina there. Could be quite lucrative for them.

I'm surprised there isn't one for emergency access from our land based SAR groups along the East side. How about adjacent to the QA Hospital? Could you imagine the uproar? There's a RV park in a ok spot, down on a little peninsula at the end of Campion Rd.
How about talking the First Nations at Saanichton Bay to have the government build them a Marina there. Could be quite lucrative for them.
I think this would be the best hope, the new Mill Bay launch looks pretty amazing.

I think this would be the best hope, the new Mill Bay launch looks pretty amazing.
The New Mill Bay launch seems to have come to a halt. I live in Mill Bay and have been following its build.
Was told by a workman on site months ago it was a partnership Malahat First Nations and Mill Bay Marina.
Parking lot was to be built across the road from the launch. Nothing has been done for months on its progress
and why I don't know.

The New Mill Bay launch seems to have come to a halt. I live in Mill Bay and have been following its build.
Was told by a workman on site months ago it was a partnership Malahat First Nations and Mill Bay Marina.
Parking lot was to be built across the road from the launch. Nothing has been done for months on its progress
and why I don't know.
its great spot to launch kayak from but walk back up with the kayak sucks haha

Back