Saltwater Flyreels

jimbob

I am interested in purchasing a fly reel that is suitable for saltwater use mainly for bucktailing in summer or on one of my downriggers in the winter. It would be matched with a 10 foot nine weight Sage fly rod.

Any suggestions other than an Islander? It needs to be corrosion resistant and have a good disc drag.

kamloops M/C made by dragonfly fairly cheap and very durable in the salt.

I use a lampson reel but I do not know the model number I do know you cant get them anymore as I had a pair and lost one so wanted another one, i have used it for 4 years up guiding and is still very very smooth.the drag is a little lever on the opposite side of the reel and once you adjust it you dont even have to "palm" the reel the drag does all the work.maybe someone on here knows of the model??

Good luck Wolf

Hey cronic are you wanting to part with them???

Wolf

Lamson reels are still availible from websites online. Try a Pflueger reel there are availible locally and are resonably priced they have worked great, having a bucket of fresh water on board is a good idea for the quick rinse.I am using the 4 inch reel on a 9 wt sage rod using thin diameter 20lb non strech braided line for maximum spool capcity. Nice set up.

Back