SALMON TEEZER -a game changer!!

spring fever

This is an entirely new salmon fishing technique I have developed over the last month. I have never seen this used for salmon before but if it has been then I apologize-it is entirely unintentional and without malice.

Before I show you the system let me say I thought long and hard about showing this to anyone other than my close friends but it is so much fun and effective I couldn’t keep it to myself. I am not selling anything and I have no financial axe to grind. It is entirely legal as long as you follow the measurements I give you and then check the regulations yourself. All the benefits of a flasher but none of the draw backs.
Take a good cuttlefish hoochy such as a purple haze, or a translucent green cuttle fish and put in a Pirates Den LED (what I use) or any other GOOD double flash LED and tie a quality swivel right after the hootchy and in front of it. The LED will go in the hootchy easier with Vaseline or better yet- Smelly Jelly. No Hooks!!! IT’s a TEEZER!! Try to match the colour of the LED with the hootchy. Then tie an anchovy holder or a spoon onto the rear swivel of the cuttlefish with enough line so that from the hook to the light is no greater than 1 meter.

This is important-the law says the light must be WITHIN 1 meter of the hook-measure it to be sure. Tie or clip the front swivel to your main line. Make sure that you have enough line between the TEEZER and your anchovy or spoon so that the action is correct!!! Attach to the downrigger as normal. NO FLASER!! Have fun!!
There are a few variations I have thought of as you can see in the photo’s- I am sure that different coloured hootchys and LED’s may produce different results.

I basically brought this system out because I wanted to fish without the flasher or a dummy and I usually fish deep. Bringing a flasher up after a pinpopper at 180 ft is hard work-but this is easy . It was meant for large fish who are getting flasher shy . It was successful beyond my best hopes!! The system is still evolving and if you have any thoughts please either PM me or stick it on the forum. Only works with lures or bait with its own action-ie. Won’t work on hoochys or flies. Obviously I would have preferred to have 6 ft between anchovy holder and light, but that is not the law-however I have not tried a glow hootchy without the light at a 6 ft distance-that may work as well.
Only draw back is -if you give the fish slack line-you have no flasher to help with the tension -you have to play the fish a little tighter than some of us are used to. LOL

Attachments

• DSC01138.jpg
    DSC01138.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 2,054
  • DSC01140.jpg
    DSC01140.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2,054
Great rig spring fever. I have been running a new hoochie rig that is proving quite productive. I run a 32" leader from my flasher with a cuddlefish hoochie. halfway up the leader I rig a scotty downrigger stop, and ontop of that I put a 2" squirt hoochie.

My theory is its a big squid chasing a little squid. Looks damn fishy in the water and the fish seem to think so as well.

Thanks for posting, looks like one to try!

Cool setup Spring fever i am guessing the 1 meter from the led to the spoon is still long enough to ensure proper action on the spoon as you stated there is no flasher attached. going to give one a try as i have been curios for awhile to try LED's:)

Would this setup be effective at the 30-50ft range or do you need to go deeper where there's less light so the led would be brighter?

Spring fever....use a Jim's Break away flasher....Qcove fishing tackle, Qcove.com. Flasher breaks away after the strike and you are playing the fish on the line....not fighting the flasher and much easier getting up from the deep spots. Nice set-up though...I'll have a to check the WDFW rules on lighted fishing.

Would this setup be effective at the 30-50ft range or do you need to go deeper where there's less light so the led would be brighter?
I suppose that is the LED,s Achilles heel-bright sunlight is not it's friend-I like them very deep, Also late at night and early in the morning-but I'm not sure if it is just the LED light we're playing with here-particularly with the big spoons-I think the fish thinks the Pilchard is chasing a small fish. I got some really aggressive takes in the 60 ft depths with this rig at around noon on a sunny day. Perhaps it may also be explained by the fact that the light in these things is not constant but rather blinks from front to back- it is also charging the glow aspect of the hootchy. I am still testing-but I can say that I love it-I don't have all the answers on it yet. One big question that worries me more than the sunlight is what happens when the fish get into the inlets and truly become flasher shy causing us to lengthen anchovy leaders to 7,8,9 and 10 ft such as at Nootka. My belief is that it is the motion and vibration of the flasher that disturbs them in which case this could be the answer. Give it a try when there are some fish around . It's a hoot.

Spring fever....use a Jim's Break away flasher....Qcove fishing tackle, Qcove.com. Flasher breaks away after the strike and you are playing the fish on the line....not fighting the flasher and much easier getting up from the deep spots. Nice set-up though...I'll have a to check the WDFW rules on lighted fishing.
Tried them-good kit-just trying to find the perfect set-up. If you're not learning you're not getting ahead!! Sorry can't comment on WDFW rules-I have no knowledge of your rules at all and in fact everyone should check their own rules to make sure they are certain they are OK.

Excellent concept, Spring Fever. I am glad it is working so well for you.

@PHW: Washington state offers law no law in the books regarding lights or lighted lures. I've been selling them in various areas such as Port Angeles, Sequim, Seattle, Vancouver, Neah Bay, Everette, and Bellingham to name a few.

I do have to check the regs of every state and province I in to make sure there have been no updates or banning every year. I have gone through WA regs again recently and there is still no change- they are legal. As yet, there is no proposal on record for next year, either. Pm me with your location and I will refer you to the nearest retailer if you like.

Cool setup Spring fever i am guessing the 1 meter from the led to the spoon is still long enough to ensure proper action on the spoon as you stated there is no flasher attached. going to give one a try as i have been curios for awhile to try LED's:)

The reason for ensuring the light is within one meter is so you stay within the confines of law:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.htm

The 14th black "bullet" shows the law regarding the use of lights in BC. While a longer leader would permit more action, SF indicates the "one meter rule" because there ain't no fish worth losing your gear over.

Awesome rig SpringFever, thanks for sharing.

Any Gibbs/Oki flasher can be made into a break-away style. Just copy the "Farr better flasher" rigging and drill a hole in the flasher. I've completely switched to breakaway flashers and love them.

Great rig spring fever. I have been running a new hoochie rig that is proving quite productive. I run a 32" leader from my flasher with a cuddlefish hoochie. halfway up the leader I rig a scotty downrigger stop, and ontop of that I put a 2" squirt hoochie.

My theory is its a big squid chasing a little squid. Looks damn fishy in the water and the fish seem to think so as well.

Thanks for posting, looks like one to try!

Interesting that youre doing this! I've seen it done once before and it worked well.

Love the innovation Spring Fever! Will definitely give it a try as I like to fish very deep as well, where in the lower mainland can a guy buy the Pirate's Den LEDs?

Thank you for sharing Spring Fever. I for one applaud you for sharing information. Over the years I have done lots of fishing seminars (not so much on salmon as I still have too much to learn) around locations, techniques, etc. My theory has been twofold; first by helping people become better anglers they are less inclined to kill and keep everything they catch and second we are stronger as a political force when there are more of us who are passionate about our sport.

Hello, SF.

Where do you get the LEDS?
I am in Nanaimo, see you are in Comox.

Fishing DEEP without a flasher is my favourite m.o.

Smiley.

Spring Fever, this is a great ideal, one I have also seen something like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HN-2tSeobeY

I noted this guy has a different tactic from your successful approach in that his LED goes in the hootchie with hook, and his LED is a single flash. So.... did you try hanging a hook off the back of one of these in a hootchie behind a flasher instead of teaser in front of bait/spoon? Consider putting into a plug with a hook? I cant wait to experiment when things open up in Puget Sound for catch and release July 1. Good fishing. DAJ

lighthouse lures is on mainland... same stuff

No, they are not the same. Same concept, but, Pirates Den offers a wide variety of color and flash choices and the background is vastly different. As an avid angler of many years, I firmly believe in the products we offer. I don't simply import lights and lures for profit- I am proactive in designing products; products that have been proven in the areas the items are offered.

Aside from options of single or double flash, we offer a variety of colors and our electrodes are 100% virgin copper for the most accurate electrical emission possible, we will NEVER use some cheap alloy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, SF.

Where do you get the LEDS?
I am in Nanaimo, see you are in Comox.

Fishing DEEP without a flasher is my favourite m.o.

Smiley.

By locations in BC:

Vancouver
Berrys Bait and Tackle
Nikka Marine

Victoria
Trotac
Wisebuys

Nanaimo
Gone Fishin
The Harbour Chandler

Courtenay
Gone Fishin

Campbell River
Ideal Tackle

Powell River
Marine Traders

Port Hardy
Jims Hardy Sports

Port Alberni
Gone Fishin

If no retailer is near you, please contact me and we will send the items you select to your door. Also, at this time, we have 7 other locations that have requested products for their shelves in BC.

If you are in the states, please contact us for your nearest retailer as we have retailers along the entire east, west and Gulf coasts and along the mighty Mississippi river.

Spring Fever, this is a great ideal, one I have also seen something like here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HN-2tSeobeY

I noted this guy has a different tactic from your successful approach in that his LED goes in the hootchie with hook, and his LED is a single flash. So.... did you try hanging a hook off the back of one of these in a hootchie behind a flasher instead of teaser in front of bait/spoon? Consider putting into a plug with a hook? I cant wait to experiment when things open up in Puget Sound for catch and release July 1. Good fishing. DAJ

I applied for a patent for a lighted plug. Due to the other products currently in mass production stages right now, the lighted plug will not be released this year. The plug design with a light crammed inside is too heavy so I scrapped that in favor of a very light design- even lighter than a nonlighted plug and can be had with several other options.

This past winter, I applied for a total of 19 patents, none were rejected. Over the next few years, we will release new products as material and factory time permits. There is no possible way I can oversee all things being built at once so a few at a time is all I can handle.

I will soon be offering Double flash Red, Green, UV and Blue. I also carry single flash White and Green. I'm not sure why you (Pirates Den) are constantly trying to undermine me...Lighthouse Lures. I get my led products from the same guy that you get yours. I am also getting many positive reviews of the items I am selling and always looking for new ideas. There is plenty of room in this world for competition. I have many new products that I am testing as well. I wish you all the best. Let's all try and get along!

Sincerely,

Lighthouse Lures

Back