SALMON TEEZER -a game changer!!

Andrew....personally I don't think the Crazy8 is going to help you much in that particular application.....

You need to be going like hell with a long leader for the Crazy8 to give the hoochy any action....
I agree sea fever-I have never used them and I wasn't looking for the Teezer hootchy to have much action at all-all I wanted was the flash,the illusion if possible of one fish chasing another and to hide the swivels-which I will try in black and small next time. Still I don't think if Andrew trolls at a reasonable chovie speed I doubt the crazy 8 will do any harm.

All the very successful salmon killers that I know in Washington are more than convinced that the LED lures do not outfish any lure that consistently catches fish.......not even a close 2nd...........I've only seen pics of the ones being manufactured north of the border (they look higher quality than the Wa. made lure), but the ones from south of the border catch more fishermen than fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to argue with you-but the secret to getting them to work is not re-invent the wheel but to combined them with lures that consistently catch fish. If you can't catch fish on an anchovy cause you can't rig it correctly-then no amount of LED's are going to correct that. Similarly if you drag a hootchy that has an LED but the total rig was made in China with the 80lb test and shark hooks they come with, and those awful crimps-that will never catch fish on the best day!!
The sad part of the whole business is that the LED's themselves are great attractors-but the fisherman himself must adapt them to the salmon fishing he does using quality hooks, and proven hootchy's. I have yet to see a manufactured LED hootchy from China that I would bother to fish. My 2 cents.

Thanks SF for the info....I aim going to try them in Puget Sound for our Spring/King opener on July 16. I'll run with flasher and hootchie and then I'll try the SF set-up in Westport next time I head down there and report back. Can't make Ukee this year but enjoy readings the posts--don't catch all of our fish....leave some for us in the lower 48. :D

Stay Safe--PHW

So where are a couple of places that I can order the cuttlefish hoochy? I can find the LED double flash lights but I'm having a hard time finding the cuttlefish hoochy through my normal sources. Any help would be very much appreciated as I'd really like to give this setup a try.

Thanks Fishtank. I went to their site and it appears to not be taking on line orders as they are still building it out. Any other suggestions for an online order?

Thanks Fishtank. I went to their site and it appears to not be taking on line orders as they are still building it out. Any other suggestions for an online order?

Where are you located. We have some retailers in WA state. Go to our website at www.piratesdenfishing.com to find a retailer nearest you. If there are none, we will sell directly to individuals. Thank you.

Phone Trotac directly during the day-I've done this with a number of BC tackle stores they are always Happy to help-might need a minimum to do business with Trotac though.

Salty Dog, your link was a big help. It looks like Westview Marina has them which happens to be where I am heading the first part of August so that works perfect . . . . just one more item on what will be a sizeable tab anyway! Thanks everyone for the help and thank you again Spring Fever for sharing your new setup with us.

Salty Dog, your link was a big help. It looks like Westview Marina has them which happens to be where I am heading the first part of August so that works perfect . . . . just one more item on what will be a sizeable tab anyway! Thanks everyone for the help and thank you again Spring Fever for sharing your new setup with us.
My pleasure-trying out some new versions this week and hope we can refine the set-up a bit. Still trying to see where all the sweet spots are and when there is a better alternative. Will post more results early next week and maybe some pictures if we change much. Say hi to John and Kathy at westview for me. Tight Lines. mike

I haven't tried this in teaser mode yet. However, this past Friday I did stick a flashing LED device inside of a big green glow hootchie. I then ran a bead chain swivel behind it with a single Matzuo hook. I tied that behind a 11" hotspot flasher and trolled with it early in the day. I did pick up a small spring on that gear near first light. I'm thinking something similar (with a bigger hook) might be fun for tuna after dark.

It's fun to play with the LED's-that's how I got" hooked". I always try and combined them with things I know that work-also trying at dark whether morning or evening. Light is not their friend-mid day in clear water less than 50 feet you might as well shine a flashlight at hi -noon-but drop it to 180 on the rigger and it's a whole different story. I haven't used them tuna fishing-you guys would know where a hi vis lure would be most appropriate and from the size of some of your gear you should be able to adapt it.

Hey Spring Fever - quick question and sorry if you've already answered it but is the primary location for testing this offshore or have you used it inshore as well? We all know offshore fish are stupid as hell, its when they come into shore that they get picky, just curious what you've noticed or if you've had a chance to compare?

Strange you should ask-we were limited sitting at anchor behind Swale about a month ago when I came up with the idea. Got up late-15 boats at Swale-6 am-I fished 1 rod for catch and release -nothing was happening-no nets-no one was catching Nada-I put on a teezer-with yesterdays salted chovie and within 5 min we had a solid hit. Kind of looked at each other and did it again-We hooked 6 fish in an hour and brought 4 to the boat and released them. There were no other nets and in fact boats were leaving. I have to say our next trip to Nootka was a bust-I had to quit using it-couldn't keep the coho off until I put a 6 inch tomic behind it-but it hasn't been truly tried"inside" say at Nootka. I know it will work with anchovy inside at say 6 ft-but our law says 1 meter-that is the part I don't know-my gut feeling is that early in the morning and late evening it will-don't think it will make any difference through the day as Nooka inside is a pretty shallow fishery.
Still playing with it-has lots of promise-and if I can get rid of flashers most of the time-that's my aim. I'm not promoting it for gain-it's an idea-anyone is welcome to try it-just give us some feedback and we'll see where it takes us. Up to Winter Harbour fri-with some new variations-hope somebody gives it a shot inside Nootka. Tight Lines

Back