Salmon Stamp Required for Catch and Release?

With a bit of thought and science applied, DFO should have realized that this would
have been a better option.
Fraser fish would remain unharmed and all the people and jobs that rely on the fishery
would not be suffering.
This is clearly a political mandate brought on by ENGO groups backroom dealing with the Liberals.
Even more pathetic is using First Nations constitutional rights as an excuse for closure and a method of further dividing Canadians. I doubt the Supreme Court of Canada made any rulings on American fish? If it did I suggest it overstepped it’s authority in doing so!

SECOND CLASS. Laughable term considering the history and how 98% of aboriginal people have been forced to live in poverty over the past 150 years or more.
If you want your rights back, stop registering your annual public fishing contracts...force Canada to stop race based fisheries and have them invest in something equitable, sustainable and science based.

Who's fault is it really...
I totally agree with half of what you said,one rule for everybody,no race based fisheries.And no nets on the Fraser.

Wolf I have been telling the same story for ten years - one day you will see it. Hopefully sooner than later.

I got it a long time ago . im not even going to comment on what YOU believe is fair as thats what you think it is. we are not living in the 1800s anymore FYI

You do realize that First Nations didn’t get the right to vote in Canada w/o surrendering their status until 1960, right? That’s a LOT more contemporary than the 1800s.

Cheers!

Ukee

With a bit of thought and science applied, DFO should have realized that this would
have been a better option.
Fraser fish would remain unharmed and all the people and jobs that rely on the fishery
would not be suffering.
This is clearly a political mandate brought on by ENGO groups backroom dealing with the Liberals.

Even more pathetic is using First Nations constitutional rights as an excuse for closure and a method of further dividing Canadians. I doubt the Supreme Court of Canada made any rulings on American fish? If it did I suggest it overstepped it’s authority in doing so!

Scott's comments above while logical and I agree to that logic to a point , there is one thing missing that is worth mentioning. There is a strong ENGO component obviously here however I will say that there is no need to look farther than the FN component in all this when the focus comes clearer. Ziggy, while it is pathetic, it is VERY REAL and I highly recommend not to take it lightly - even if you feel it is pathetic. I won't offer a ton more than that for various reasons including that this thread started as a SALMON STAMP question. I will however add that "the better option" would unfortunately not have kept Fraser stocks of concern unharmed. The only thing that would help to keep the stocks of concern in the Fraser unharmed would be if the Fraser FN were to agree to keep their nets out of the river and stop fishing in river - and perhaps move out to SoG to attain their FSC needs. Now to have that happen anytime would be extremely difficult but to attain that at the same time as allowing the rec sector to enjoy a retention fishery in SoG of stable stocks that don't even return to the fraser .....even just hatchery clipped fish ...... that is going to take some major negotiating with FN or years of expensive court battles. I think Ziggy probably has it correct, constitutional rights/rulings very likely don't include all those hatchery US fish ...nor do they likely include our own hatchery clipped fish. Negotiations with FN to an agreement or ridiculously long and expensive court battles. The ENGO's are just a massive thorn in our side that fuels the fire all while filling their pockets with donations from the lazy and uneducated.

Last edited:
I wish salmon stamp money would just go directly to fund local BC groups could that can't get PSF or have very limited funding. Not everyone gets the funding so you guys understand. Also a lot of overhead is trimmed off in admin costs by PSF. PSF does great work but they have gotten a ton of money from government over last while.

I personally made a shift to just give money directly instead of through them, and I really hope businesses start to look deeper into this. Nothing personal just think more people should move to grass roots approach when possible.

For example I don't think our salmon stamp funding should support groups like Raincoast who PSF seem to like to work with that is actively trying to shut down our fishery. We as group should have a lot more control of where the money goes and to who. Especially with what just happened in our fishery. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I wish salmon stamp money would just go directly to fund local BC groups could that can't get PSF or have very limited funding. Not everyone gets the funding so you guys understand. Also a lot of overhead is trimmed off in admin costs by PSF. PSF does great work but they have gotten a ton of money from government over last while.

I personally made a shift to just give money directly instead of through them, and I really hope businesses start to look deeper into this. Nothing personal just think more people should move to grass roots approach when possible.

For example I don't think our salmon stamp funding should support groups like Raincoast who PSF seem to like to work with that is actively trying to shut down our fishery. We as group should have a lot more control of where the money goes and to who. Especially with what just happened in our fishery. Just my thoughts.

1 year of stamp funding would buy a few of those automated trucks that clip chinook.

1 year of stamp funding would buy a few of those automated trucks that clip chinook.
I guess the question is though what’s the point of clipping if you’re simply closing rather than selectively fishing?

Back