Salmon Stamp fee revenue to increase to 100% for B.C.

Stosh

I'm hearing that the Feds are going to be sending B.C. 100% of the Salmon Stamp fees to B.C. due largely to the efforts of the PSF and MP Mark Strahl. This is some of the best news ever from the Feds providing it never ends. Anybody have any comments on this news?

Stosh

Imagine that the funds from the "Conservation Stamp" actually going to conservation. Does anyone know how much annually this involves?

h.e.h.

As a joe angler I would be fine with $100 a year as well. As a guide I would be fine with $500 a year for a license created for guides. So long as it goes directly into the resource.

I'd prefer to leave the licenses/salmon stamps as they are and I will continue to donate money directly to our local marine rescue and salmon restoration groups. I'd rather leave the Government agencies out of the equation altogether. As long as such groups (eg marine rescue and salmon enhancement) have charitable status from Revenue Canada, any donations to them are tax deductible. My former employer (I'm retired) continues to match my contributions which doubles them up.

This is simply a political move by the Feds. This is a bone they are throwing.

We accept this at the same time the Feds are gutting the DFO?

So what would you suggest - that we tell them to pound sand and take the money back??? At some point one has to realize that anything a Government does is 'political'. That's why they are called "Political Parties".

H.e.h.

The stamp revenue collected by the PSF under the "old" system was $1 out of the $6 stamp and amounted to around $300k a year. Under the "new" system the PSF will collect appx $1.3million per year (there are some stipulations, etc in the agreement so that it not the full $1.8 million that the math would indicate)

Anyways it's a huge win for the PSF and for wild pacific salmon and hopefully the stamp fee can now be increased by several fold as there are still about half of the acceptable grant applications that are turned down due to lack of funds that the PSF can't afford to fund. Should be the govt doing this work but that just ain't the case.

It is shocking to think that only $1 out of the amount of the saltwater fishing license and stamp revenue actually went directly to conservation for so long.

Agree with this entirely. It's a drop in the budget bucket that is going to be highlighted as the Feds "strong" support for wildlife conservation

We have been complaining for years that the "Conservation" stamp funds should go to conservation. Who cares why it has happened. Why not just say about time and be done with it. Now lets get license fees oUt of general revenue and jack those up to reflect realistic user fees for the 365 days access to what is still some of the best fishing in the world. We need more money to keep it or improve it. Not enough people seem to give voluntarily that is only obvious.

H.e.h.

The stamp revenue collected by the PSF under the "old" system was $1 out of the $6 stamp and amounted to around $300k a year. Under the "new" system the PSF will collect appx $1.3million per year (there are some stipulations, etc in the agreement so that it not the full $1.8 million that the math would indicate)

Anyways it's a huge win for the PSF and for wild pacific salmon and hopefully the stamp fee can now be increased by several fold as there are still about half of the acceptable grant applications that are turned down due to lack of funds that the PSF can't afford to fund. Should be the govt doing this work but that just ain't the case.

It is shocking to think that only $1 out of the amount of the saltwater fishing license and stamp revenue actually went directly to conservation for so long.

Thanks tincan.

1.3 mil is nothing to shake a stick at however if the stamp was to cost $25 we would see over 5 mil now that would indeed be a significant amount.

h.e.h.

I always laugh my saltwater license is less then $30 with all the tags possible but a fresh water with steelhead tag is almost $50 and you can spend a lot more to fish some restricted waters.

Then I fish 3-5 days in the fresh and keep nothing vs. 20-30 days on the salt keeping a years supply of fish, prawns and crabs including enough to put on some big seafood feasts during the summer.

Back