Salmon (Spring) Lodge Recommendation

tubby

Hi
I know this year's salmon openings are in question across much of our coastal waters, but I have a friend of a friend (from overseas) who would still like to come out to BC and catch some spring salmon. They looking for bigger size fish where possible, maybe one or two over 30lbs if possible (lol) or fish in the 20lbs. With the North Coast and the Charlotte's area season still questionable, are there any recommendations out there?
I was originally thinking River Inlet but heard that big fish are still there but the fish numbers are quite low (i.e. landed good size fish per day are low). Right now thinking somewhere like Port Hardy or Kyuquot?
Just curious on other people thoughts.
thanks

All those spots are good but if you bring your friend out with the expectation of landing a bunch of huge fish youre setting him up for disappointment no matter what the bite is like. Either he doesnt catch the "big one" and its a let down, or he does catch one but the moment isnt as special because it was to be expected. Get him involved in the whole experience and he'll have a much better time than just winching in a couple fish.

Show him an experience he will never forget. Westcoast Fishing Club 100%
They are first class & sell the experience as much as the catch. Guides are top notch, and most importantly this lodge puts more in to salmon & sustainably then any other lodge in Haida gwaii. The lodge is also involved in the Haida Community in positive ways.

They are first class & sell the experience as much as the catch. Guides are top notch, and most importantly this lodge puts more in to salmon & sustainably then any other lodge in Haida gwaii. The lodge is also involved in the Haida Community in positive ways.

Depends on how much you want to spend. West Coast Fishing club is certainly a premium lodge, over $2,000 per night per person for guided fishing, but you have spas, chefs, celebrity guests. Langara fishing has gotten more hit and miss as many of the Northern rivers have declined, but you do get some of the Rivers inlet fish hanging out there so a few big ones, as well as other runs. Last year limits in Langara were 1 per day then 2 per day later in the season. There is the threat of NRKW restrictions, but I dont think they would close fishing with the mega $ Lodges up there.
If you are looking at less expensive trips, where the fishing is often just as good or better, you can look at Esperanza Inlet, Kyuquot and Nootka. There you are looking about 1/2 the price of West coast fishing club or other premium Haida Gwaii locations as many lodges are drive in access, no flights to get there.

Hi
I know this year's salmon openings are in question across much of our coastal waters, but I have a friend of a friend (from overseas) who would still like to come out to BC and catch some spring salmon. They looking for bigger size fish where possible, maybe one or two over 30lbs if possible (lol) or fish in the 20lbs. With the North Coast and the Charlotte's area season still questionable, are there any recommendations out there?
I was originally thinking River Inlet but heard that big fish are still there but the fish numbers are quite low (i.e. landed good size fish per day are low). Right now thinking somewhere like Port Hardy or Kyuquot?
Just curious on other people thoughts.
thanks
I have fished at most of the lodges on our west coast including the Club House.
There is no doubt it's the premier Saltwater lodge in BC.
I have also been fishing the Central Coast a lot in the last 25 years and I think it's where a person has the best chance to get a fish over 30lbs and there's no shortage of 20lbers there!
My choice would be Milbanke Sound, Shearwater or Hakai Pass.
Not only good Chinook fishing but a real good chance of getting a Coho over 20lbs and possible world record Chinook!

I guided out of King Pacific Lodge in Milbanke last summer. Great scenic location, good chance to catch nice fish and you can always fish somewhere there if the weather goes sideways. I suggest they choose the longer trip option if they come that far. Check out the lodge online. Cheers

I guided out of King Pacific Lodge in Milbanke last summer. Great scenic location, good chance to catch nice fish and you can always fish somewhere there if the weather goes sideways. I suggest they choose the longer trip option if they come that far. Check out the lodge online. Cheers
I fished at KPL the last two years and can't say enough about the whole experience! The beauty of having Cheney Point two minutes from the lodge is a huge selling point for me. I have done enough trips where you might need to run 45 minutes to an hour out to the hot spot and usually in rough water. There's something to be said about being able to run back to the lodge in a couple minutes if you need to. The option to run out to McInnes Island is always there if one needs a change of scenery. I have had some of my very best days of fishing at McInnes and Cheney!

I fished at KPL the last two years and can't say enough about the whole experience! The beauty of having Cheney Point two minutes from the lodge is a huge selling point for me. I have done enough trips where you might need to run 45 minutes to an hour out to the hot spot and usually in rough water. There's something to be said about being able to run back to the lodge in a couple minutes if you need to. The option to run out to McInnes Island is always there if one needs a change of scenery. I have had some of my very best days of fishing at McInnes and Cheney!

Going there in June. Can hardly wait! Glad to hear some great reviews.

I can't agree more. August is a great month to fish this area. I worked with West Coast Resorts and we spent from July until the first week of September fishing Cheney Point, Whurtele Island, Cape Mark, McInnes Island. Plenty of tyees and in August, some nice slab coho in the high teens consistently. Cut plugging is the norm there. It's nice to hop on the boat and be able to have your line in the water in only minutes. KPL would be an excellent choice

Port Eliza Lodget out of Esperanza inlet. We can get you into a trip for a reasonable price. Sign up for a crew membership and get a good discount.

reminds me of a guide friend of mine who got his lady client into two big chinook on the same morning, both of them flirting with the 30 lb mark. he told her that when they get back to the weigh station, don’t be upset if there are a chorus of
“ aawwwss” if they are slightly under 30. you guessed it they were both 29 pounds and all the other guides and their clients at the weigh station let out a collective “Awwwww” of disappointment . she was pissed off at him and he didn’t get a tip.

reminds me of a guide friend of mine who got his lady client into two big chinook on the same morning, both of them flirting with the 30 lb mark. he told her that when they get back to the weigh station, don’t be upset if there are a chorus of
“ aawwwss” if they are slightly under 30. you guessed it they were both 29 pounds and all the other guides and their clients at the weigh station let out a collective “Awwwww” of disappointment . she was pissed off at him and he didn’t get a tip.

Yikes. 29 lber and you won’t hear the end of it for a year.

Go with Joes salmon Lodge, Clay is a good guy crazy as **** mind you :) Still big fish in rivers inlet, buddies took their boat over last year an 80, 52 lb hogs hit the cut plug !!!!

Dont think Clay is there anymore...Doug is majority owner. :) Doug is a great guy :D
Correct! Doug has partnered up with Carl Rosenau and his wife Grace.
They are all super nice people.
Joe's Salmon Lodge is right up the Jackel's alley. they still fish old school power mooching with 6-8oz weights and cut-plug herring.
I was up there two years ago and have fished at Joe's in Hakai at ton in the past.
it's another one of those great places where you can be fishing two minutes from the lodge.
Joe's Point East or West has produced some truly large fish and I have had some of the craziest Coho fishing at Joe's Point East and around the corner at Bailey's Point.
Again it's another location where there's a good chance to get your Chinook of a lifetime or an over 20lb Coho.
River's Inlet fish swim right past here.

Back