Salmon from shore in Esquimalt

This site has some old information on shrimp/prawn limits-- best to check the DFO website to be sure ....

I caught a few springs off the Fisgard Light rocks and the gravel pit beach when I was a kid with Buzzbombs. Early morning and late evenings were best. (Be prepared to put in a lot of time).

There's always a chance of salmon coming in close to shore. One morning mid summer I encountered salmon thrashing through the needle fish down at Esquimalt lagoon beach. Probably not a common occurrence worth targeting but it can happen. I was targeting trout at that time and only had my 3wt fly rod. Occasional a salmon gets hooked in the Victoria harbour but again not with enough regularity to make it worthwhile, except perhaps during the fall spawning run.
It's better for Salmon fishing of the points East of Victoria. The Golf Links, 10 mile point etc.

I saw some dudes casting off the rocks right at Macaulay point a couple times last summer. Not sure if they had success.

The rocks at Macaulay point or the Jetty at Fleming. There's an inshore rockfish conservation area at the southwest end of Esquimalt. Breakwater is your best bet.

Back