Salmon fishing in the Fraser river, beginners questions for setup?

Rod and Reel

Hi fellow fishers, I have recently started fishing in the Fraser river and caught some small fish just trying different things. I now hear it is salmon season, and I have a 21ft bay liner and would like to try and catch some salmon. The boat has no down riggers and I am a beginner with fishing on a boat. I would appreciate if you can tell me which rod to use and a simple spinner or spoon setup. I also don't want to troll I just want to anchor the boat in about 30-10 foot water..
Rod choices:
7ft shimano rod and reel combo rated for 6-15lbs test.
9ft river king rod and reel combo rated for 10-25lbs test.
7ft d-shock rod and reel combo rated for 6-12lbd test.
Ps these are all spinning reels.
I have variations of weight from 4-15oz
20lbs test & 10lbs braded test.
Various spoons, spinners etc..
I also have various swivels..
Hope what I listed helps you give me an idea thank you!
(Add on)I also have 10lbs mono leader. And if I can also have a setup where I can catch trout and salmon in the same setup possibly.. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The web has lots of the information you seek.
Pink Salmon will be in the Fraser shortly so do a search on "Fishing for pink salmon in the Fraser River"
Chinook Salmon are currently open so do a search on "How to Bar Fish for Fraser River Chinooks"

Pink Salmon are also a lot of fun on the fly.

The web has lots of the information you seek.
Pink Salmon will be in the Fraser shortly so do a search on "Fishing for pink salmon in the Fraser River"
Chinook Salmon are currently open so do a search on "How to Bar Fish for Fraser River Chinooks"

Pink Salmon are also a lot of fun on the fly.

All salmon fishing in all parts of the Fraser River downstream of the Alexandra Bridge north of Hope is now CLOSED

Back