Salmon fishing 1926

Awesome to read of 2 "Mrs" , out hand lining for big springs.
Love the old photos of well dressed fishers. No Jeans and Stanfields back then. LOL
That fish looks like it could have used some ice in the cooler. ; )

Love Cow bay, grew up there rowing handlines, photo of my Mother with a bay fish from when she was 19. Oh and Bucky's in Duncan a dream store for a young farmer kid with some haying money to spend.

Attachments

• Moms big salmon Cow bay.JPG
    Moms big salmon Cow bay.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 139
Love Cow bay, grew up there rowing handlines, photo of my Mother with a bay fish from when she was 19. Oh and Bucky's in Duncan a dream store for a young farmer kid with some haying money to spend.
Some amazing pics here! What a cool thread Scott.

Regarding this picture, I tried zooming in, but couldn’t tell if her MR3 had the ported back or not?

Family lore has my dad catching a 52#er on a hand-line out of a canoe in the Alberni canal.
View attachment 64023
Funny, I was just about to add a very similar story. My dad and his brother landed a 50+ in Alberni Harbour from a row boat and a handline. It would have been around 1938-40ish.
They caught it on a Lake Tahoe spoon. I have one here in an old tackle box. It may be the exact spoon, but I don’t know for certain.

There is a story in the following book that relates to a couple of young lads that
were rowing across cordova bay back in the 1800. They dropped a line and picked
up an 80lb. spring. They had to hand line it to the shore and up on the beach.

If I can find the book I will post excerpt's from the story.

From Cordwood to Campus in Gordon Head 1852-1959 by Ursula Jupp

The biggest spring I have seen was in 1965.. (74lbs.) It was caught by my father
and one of his friends who fished Ucluelet. My father was asked by my younger brother
to bring a fish home as big as he was... My father showed up one morning with a large
wooden box which contained the 74lb. fish. We fed the neighborhood for month with
that fish. One steak was about 20 inches long and 16 inches fat.

Back