safe boaters license

nitnat_junkie

anyone know the website or where I can write this, found a few websites just dont know it they are legit, need it for this summer, thanks

Anyone know a Recognized Examiner in the Nanaimo area who could give me the Restricted Operator's Certificate (M) with DSC endorsement exam.

I have studied all the course materials and would like to just do the test without taking the course.

hey Tiki , Industry Canada handed over the radio examinations to the Power Squadron 3 years ago. To my knowledge they are the only examiners. I think it is pretty sad that they throw so many road blocks in you way to comply with the regulations. In the US no license is required , and hey guess what the world hasn't come to an end yet!

Here is a link to your local Power Squadron http://www.nanaimocps.org/

That link to "Freecourse" is good for brushing up on the exam if you need to, but the online exam feature does not work. They claim that it's not certified 'yet'.

Not to hijack the topic, but what can they do to you if you do not have a VHF license?
I can understand why "they" would want you to be proficient with a VHF, but in my mind it is better for everyone out there to have one rather than not.
I don't have a license, but there is no way, no how I will go out in any boat without my handheld, or a mounted unit.
- been on too many searches for guys without radios.

First off, the law does not require you to have your Radio Operator's Certificate (M) if you just have a VHF on board, only if you operate one.

The current fine is $100 for operating without the certificate per offense. If you do other things on the radio, the fines are higher.

Such as:
Transmit superfluous signals, it is $250.
Use profanity or offensive language, it can up to $5000 and a year in jail.
You get the idea.
You learn a lot from the course and it's as easy to get as the PCOC card. Once you read the material and do the exercises, you will see why they require everyone to have it.

OK... I guess I'd better look into it. Besides using it in the boat, I also run a marina and am on it constantly.
(Now "they're" out looking for me... are'nt "they"!)[8]

Any of you have a wife that "Yah, Yah, Yah's" you? Of course, I have studied this course backward and forwards, but my wife could care less about learning anything.

This is why I am glad to have a DSC radio on board. Because I am interfaced with my Garmin GPS, even if she said nothing on Channel 16 after holding down the red distress button for 5 seconds, they (and you guys within range with DSC radios) would know where to find me. Automatic distress signals are only one of the best features.

hey Tiki , I was not knocking the course , I think its a great idea that everyone has some knowledge of the equipment they are using , but Industry Canada had made it very difficult to get tested and given a monopoly to a private organization. If you haven't been tested yet you will see what I mean when you go for it.

I just found a Recognized Examiner (can be CPS or CYA), and emailed him. Am going to go to his house and write the test. I think that's pretty easy. Taking the course over a period of weeks would have been more inconvenient. Considering everything is on the CD and in the manual, this works well for me.

It's probably good they make you write this test in person. I know at least a dozen people who cheated on their PCOC course by having someone write it for them. And it's an online exam for goodness sake!.

First off, the law does not require you to have your Radio Operator's Certificate (M) if you just have a VHF on board, only if you operate one.

So what's the point of having one on board if you can't operate it ?
I can't believe everyone with a VHF has a licence to use it ???
Is there VHF cops out there waiting to bust people without them ?
[}:)]

I don't want to start a sh*t storm here guys, I am just saying you will learn a lot of stuff you didn't know before if you read the materials and get certified.

Obviously, certified or not, a real emergency situation will go something like this:

Scramble for mic, scream like a woman,
"Anybody there?
Christ, Help me!
I am in a boat, hit a rock, I don't know where I am, I am surrounding by water...Come get me!"

"Unidentified vessel, this is Comox Coast Guard Radio, say again (dip sh*t).

quote:So what's the point of having one on board if you can't operate it ?
I can't believe everyone with a VHF has a licence to use it ???
Is there VHF cops out there waiting to bust people without them ?
There have been people busted in the USA for no licence, here I've only heard about commercials guys being busted for swearing, quite costly too.

The idea behind certification is to have people use standardised format to transmit so that someone listening in knows what's going on in case of an emergency.

I got the licence it was fast fun and easy now I know how stupid other people sound.;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

The VHF licensing is a piece of cake (or at least it was 25 years ago.) I haven't seen my license in that long, but still remember some of the very basics that you might not otherwise know - alphanumerics (is that what it it's called?), the difference between a minor (Pan-Pan) and emergency Mayday situation etc etc.

Imagine someone calling Mayday for a broken-down problem and taking all of the SAR resources out to one area while a real emergency occurs on the other side of the straight - this happens.

Now about that safe boaters license, uh ya soon...:)

Back