Sablefish..(black cod) Hot smoke or cold smoke?

Islandgirl

I am wondering what would make a better finished product with sablefish.
Hot smoke or cold smoke?
Does anyone have a recipe they wish to share, if you don't want to post PM me.

i have fooled around with blackcod over the years never been to successful at cold smoking it; it is fairly easy to hot smoke however; half salt half sugar is okay; a little grated ginger is good in the salt mixture; the fat in blackcod takes up the salt very fast so i layer fish and salt for about two hours or until juice or brine is coming from fish; then smoke with green alder wood until it looks ready to me; all done in one day; i leave in smoke house overnite so its firm enough to handle and vaccum pack

i have fooled around with blackcod over the years never been to successful at cold smoking it; it is fairly easy to hot smoke however; half salt half sugar is okay; a little grated ginger is good in the salt mixture; the fat in blackcod takes up the salt very fast so i layer fish and salt for about two hours or until juice or brine is coming from fish; then smoke with green alder wood until it looks ready to me; all done in one day; i leave in smoke house overnite so its firm enough to handle and vaccum pack

Like Wstcoaster said, really good warmed up in a hot milk bath.

SS

Check out the Smoking Black Cod/ Sablefish thread. I submitted an excellent brine recipe for Sablefish that the gentleman used and approved of.;) eman

Try baking or BBQ it as is. You may not want to smoke it.

Back