Bamfield Sablefish

BigBadBrad

Top of the morning to you gents! I am heading back to Bamfield with my boy Hugo in a couple weeks and I want to make a serious effort targeting Sablefish. Can anyone share some basic information? How far offshore do I need to go and what depth should I focus on? Any other information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

BBB

I am watching this...

I think it would be a bit of a trek to make it out deep enough for sablefish off Bamtown.(?)
My wife just offered that she loves sablefish the other night.
Looks like I have some more gear shopping ahead of me!!;)

There is a guy on here ILHG who has fished for them off of Haida Gwaii ... reach out to him, he has had success catching them.

Northern

We got some off the rats nose and egg as well while trolling for springs. The krill were in there thick and they were up there feeding on them.

I was fishing out of Bamfield a few weeks ago and we caught 4 sablefish right at the Rat's Nose while jigging for halibut. Very surprised as I had assumed that they were in much deeper water. We were fishing in about 300 - 320 feet of water.
How big were they?

I have Tanacom 750's with 80 lb braid. One thing about that setup, it you snag, it is a BEEAAAHTCH to break off. I'm wishing I went with 60 lb braid. . .there's not anything (that we want in the boat) that swims around here that'll break well-tied 60 lb mainline. Just a thought if you want to spool 'em up, I think I wish I did it differently,
fb

I have Tanacom 750's with 80 lb braid. One thing about that setup, it you snag, it is a BEEAAAHTCH to break off. I'm wishing I went with 60 lb braid. . .there's not anything (that we want in the boat) that swims around here that'll break well-tied 60 lb mainline. Just a thought if you want to spool 'em up, I think I wish I did it differently,
fb
Wrap it around the gaff handle and pull, it break off, I’ve always used 80lbs, 60or 80 when you snag it sucks lol

Wrap it around the gaff handle and pull, it break off, I’ve always used 80lbs, 60or 80 when you snag it sucks lol
I try that, but I guess my knots are good, because it usually breaks at the gaff handle. Anyways, sorry for the thread-drift, just an observation,
fb

Back