smoke - slow or fast moving for best smoke quality?

the butcher

planning on adding a small convection fan in my smoker to evenly distribute heat. I find there can be anywhere between 10-30F degrees or more temp difference between bottom and top racks in my electric smoker. This causes me to have to rotate the racks more often but when the smoker is open to rotate racks it looses heat which in turn takes longer to smoke my fish which in turn can lead the fish to becoming more dry.

i tested a setup with a small convection fan at bottom of smoker and the top and bottom racks were at the same temps within 5-6 degrees F. However, with the increased air circulation I am noticing the smoke is moving out the vent much faster. If the smoke isnt hanging around as long as without a fan, would the smoke quality of the fish or meat be affected? I a thinking it may not be able to penetrate the pellicle as well if its moving faster around the product and out thr vent. I know too little movement causes over smoke and a bad and bitter taste. Wonder what happens when the smoke moves around the chamber fast and out the chimney faster due to the fan. Dont want to waste a batch of fish to experiment so wondering if someone here knows the answer.

Just make sure the thicker filets are on the bottom rack and then thinner pieces each subsequent rack.
Likely won't need a fan.

Faster moving smoke is apparently better. You just need a bigger smoker to get the food away from heat. From the center and up from mine is consistent. From the center down is about 20 degrees difference. My solution was to put all the racks up high. Or do what Scott said.

Back