Running Outboard on Flush Connection

Someone’s gotta do it. Steveston Marine is a gong show. West Marine is long gone… who else is around in the lower mainland? The guy with the shop in North Van is pretty good, but I hate crossing either bridge to go shopping.

On a side note, FCF prices used to be a hell of a lot better.
Any forum members who need stuff, send me a PM. You'll get an instant 20 percent off, unless it's certain things that there's no margin on. Such as electronics etc

I can understand them selling oils and things people might need on the water but trying to turn it into an online gong show just pisses the rest of the industry off. Especially the guys who work there. Imagine the lack of knowledge there and the returns. What a gonger

Someone’s gotta do it. Steveston Marine is a gong show. West Marine is long gone… who else is around in the lower mainland? The guy with the shop in North Van is pretty good, but I hate crossing either bridge to go shopping.

On a side note, FCF prices used to be a hell of a lot better.
They do a pretty good business there. And in the morning when you’re fueling up and leaving, they have good bait, flashers, spoons, etc. if you’ve lost or forgot something.

Steveston Marine does a huge online business. But try walking through that Vancouver store, you’re taking your life in your hands some days.

They do a pretty good business there. And in the morning when you’re fueling up and leaving, they have good bait, flashers, spoons, etc. if you’ve lost or forgot something.

Steveston Marine does a huge online business. But try walking through that Vancouver store, you’re taking your life in your hands some days.
I’ve bought a good amount of tackle at FCF over the years. They used to have better prices than Canadian Tire, but that doesn’t seem to he the case anymore. Maybe it’s the same and I’m delusional.

The Steveston Marine website is pretty bad, I can’t imagine putting a big order through, but I guess Canadians are limited for online marine retailers. 100% agree about the store, although, if you don’t like the price of a piece of hardware, you can usually dig back on the rack and find the exact same thing priced lower and covered in dust.

Not saying it’s an easy business to run, but I get the impression they would have done well to invest in a better inventory software system.

Any forum members who need stuff, send me a PM. You'll get an instant 20 percent off, unless it's certain things that there's no margin on. Such as electronics etc

I can understand them selling oils and things people might need on the water but trying to turn it into an online gong show just pisses the rest of the industry off. Especially the guys who work there. Imagine the lack of knowledge there and the returns. What a gonger
Appreciate the offer, I’ve sort of boycotted Steveston from a few bad experiences there. Concerning FCF, I would hope they have a fulfillment centre that isn’t a floating barge. I don’t think you need a brick and mortar to be a retailer these days, but I haven’t heard many rope and anchor retail
success stories.

Last edited:
Anyone know where the best place to buy salt away is? 70 bucks on Amazon seems a bit steep.
I use the sea choice salt remover from HC. Often on sale, like it is right now.
They sell the applicator separately or together in a package.

That’s a great business model

Poco Marine is pretty decent. I find they are often cheaper than Steveston Marine on most items.
Another trip hazard though. But often a good price.

Harbour Chandler is a well stocked, well laid out gear store, it’s often packed with customers. But they also do a huge amount of online sales and shipping. Many lower mainland boaters I talk to have bought from them.

Last edited:
I use muffs on my outboard every time I use it. At 300 hr and 600hr impeller change it looked like new, my mechanic says keep doing what I am doing as the motor was like new inside. Merc 20hp four stroke.

Interesting recommendation.
One of the problems with muffs is water pressure from the hose. If it is too strong, the impeller will spin at a higher than normal speed causing increased wear. The water pump is designed to suck in normal use. My Mercury dealer has confirmed if you were to use the flushing input you will burn out your water pump impeller. Using both will compound the problem. Always best to check with your dealer or service person for your specific motor.
the impellor is driven by a key on the drive shaft. no amount of water pressure or flow is going to make the impellor spin faster than the shaft. I would stop talking to whoever dropped this turd of bad information on you.

All you need for flushing is some water running through the pump housing to keep the impeller lubed. People forever fretting about a weak telltale stream when flushing (common on the Etec owners FB page), all it is usually is imperfect fit of earmuffs, most water not making it into the pump pickups. Double sided earmuffs help.

Used an old Rubbermaid bin, worked well, now just have to pick up some salt away and run it again.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpeg
    IMG_0890.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 31
All you need for flushing is some water running through the pump housing to keep the impeller lubed. People forever fretting about a weak telltale stream when flushing (common on the Etec owners FB page), all it is usually is imperfect fit of earmuffs, most water not making it into the pump pickups. Double sided earmuffs help.
I also find that way too much water pressure can cause the impeller to cavitate and not pick up as much water. I’ve had to close the valve a bit at places with crazy water pressure like the Cates Park ramp

I've also experienced the reverse: strong hose water pressure covering a failed impeller. Water is being force fed to the system so it shows on the telltale and out the prop hub just fine, but put it in the lake and now it had to work for itself... overheat alarm seconds after getting on plane. Was a newly acquired used older outboard, I wasn't smartnl enough back then to just change impeller from the get go.

Directions on how to flush mercury 15/ 20 EFI fourstroke

Attachments

• Screenshot (327).png
    Screenshot (327).png
    699.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot (326).png
    Screenshot (326).png
    436.3 KB · Views: 36
Back