Running 2 Sounders

S

spring action

I want to run a second sounder at the back of my boat. Can you run two transducers at the back of the boat? Can you gat an adaptor to run two sounders off one transducer? If so do thay have to be the same name brand?

I have run dual transducers from different brand fish finders on my boat before with no problems. I have heard mentioned before that you may have problems with the signals interfering with each other. I didn't experience any problems, worked great for me. As a matter of fact, I found it had had benefits over a single transducer installation. I always get nervous when running in unfamiliar waters when my depth sounder loses its bottom reading. The transducer that I used for the fish finder at the helm, I would angle at a much greater degree towards the bow. I found mounting it that way gave a much more reliable bottom reading when at cruising speed. That may throw your depth reading off a little bit, but the other transducer I mounted in the standard way so it would be more accurate.

Lots to be said for a dual system, transducers can be damaged, and fish finders always die at the worst times. I have had to replace fish finders several times while on vacation when using a single mount setup. With a dual setup, you would have to be extremely unlucky to have both die at the same time.

I don't know anything about using adapters to enable two finders on one transducer. Maybe someone else knows some info in regards to that.
Personally I would stick with the two independent systems. At least you know that you won't be out of commission if a submerged object strikes and damages your transducer.

Hope that helps a little, TheBigGuy.

Back