Rookie Seeking Advice/Mentor

Fishkrieg

Hey there all,

This is my first post -- glad to be here and get to know you all.

I wanted to reach out and hopefully gain some advice on getting started fishing the proper way. A little about myself -- I used to fish lake trout by boat with my family up in the interior quite a few years ago and was usually successful catching rainbows as we knew the lake well. Now about 15 years later and zero fish caught since then I am trying to take up the fine art again. I do not have a boat but am going to purchase one as soon as I find a reasonable place to store it -- so am bound to casting from shore currently. I have a few good spin rods and a bait caster and some tackle most suitable for smaller trout.

The only knowledge I have regarding catching trout or anything for that matter is what I have read or been told, but haven't been too successful which I believe is the reason I typically take long breaks as a result of lost interest. I think I just need to hook into a few good fish and and this will get me back into the addiction.

I was looking for any general tips and advice on where to go and how to fish to get into any type of fish, no preference other than getting some action. Also if anybody is in the lower mainland and could use a fishing partner who is eager to learn, I would be more than willing to drive us around as I have a 4x4 truck.

Cheers!
Matt

Hey there all,

This is my first post -- glad to be here and get to know you all.

I wanted to reach out and hopefully gain some advice on getting started fishing the proper way. A little about myself -- I used to fish lake trout by boat with my family up in the interior quite a few years ago and was usually successful catching rainbows as we knew the lake well. Now about 15 years later and zero fish caught since then I am trying to take up the fine art again. I do not have a boat but am going to purchase one as soon as I find a reasonable place to store it -- so am bound to casting from shore currently. I have a few good spin rods and a bait caster and some tackle most suitable for smaller trout.

The only knowledge I have regarding catching trout or anything for that matter is what I have read or been told, but haven't been too successful which I believe is the reason I typically take long breaks as a result of lost interest. I think I just need to hook into a few good fish and and this will get me back into the addiction.

I was looking for any general tips and advice on where to go and how to fish to get into any type of fish, no preference other than getting some action. Also if anybody is in the lower mainland and could use a fishing partner who is eager to learn, I would be more than willing to drive us around as I have a 4x4 truck.

Cheers!
Matt

Welcome to the site.

I think it would be a good idea to say where you are located or where you can likely get to if someone has a spot.
"Lower mainland" is a pretty big area! :)

Also, are you wanting to target a specific type of fish or even keep to lakes or venture out to the ocean?

Welcome to the site, I'm new too but theres a huge amount of great info and great people here to help.

It sounds like you are interested in getting back into freshwater fishing. If I am correct with that, make sure you post in the Freshwater Fishing portion of the forum as well.
Cheers and welcome.

Thanks for the replies and yes I should have specified -- I live in South Surrey and am willing to travel around 2-3 hours if required. I have no preference as far as fresh water or salt water, wherever there is most likely to be a chance to hook into some fish.

For saltwater, I'd go on a charter; learn gear/techniques & perhaps meet some fellow fishers. Bonchovy out of Van seems good. There are many charter operators on this forum. It would be good to be on a few different boats so that you can see what you want.

That's a great idea. What about local lakes that can be fished from the bank -- i've been out a few times to lafarge and similar lakes and can't seem to get a single bite.
I would assume it would be wise to wait for the lakes to be stocked but is there anything that can be fished with a reasonable chance of action?

That's a great idea. What about local lakes that can be fished from the bank -- i've been out a few times to lafarge and similar lakes and can't seem to get a single bite.
I would assume it would be wise to wait for the lakes to be stocked but is there anything that can be fished with a reasonable chance of action?

I lived in Van for 8 years and had a tough time finding fish. You are gonna have major competition based on population alone. I found the only way to get some fish ( and solitude ) is to travel into the Mission area at closest. i spent a lot of time on the Chehalis ( catch and release ) Harrison, Stave, etc Chilliwack / Vedder systems. Pick up a "backroads mapbook." There's a few lakes out that way as well. ( Weaver Lake is one that myself and another SFBC member UglyBetty and I used to frequent a lot but it will require a 4x4 and better yet a belly boat.

Fraser can be great when it's open for salmon. Aside from that, you can fish for sturgeon from shore pretty much anywhere. Vedder can be excellent later in the season, and Squamish has some good fishing spots as well. There are a few sites like fishingwithrod.com and fishingwithjames.com that highlight most of the local fisheries, as well as methods/gear used.

I am also contemplating getting a small lake boat to perhaps get out a bit further than the shore. At this point I don't know whether 14' aluminum would fit very well in my townhome garage so I am leaning towards a pontoon boat. Can anyone comment on how well these work and how many months of the year they can be used without freezing your !@# off?

If you go that small, you have to wrap your head around local conditions and how they interact with the water. Short period waves can make a day in an open 14' have you more worried about getting back to shore than catching fish.

I am also contemplating getting a small lake boat to perhaps get out a bit further than the shore. At this point I don't know whether 14' aluminum would fit very well in my townhome garage so I am leaning towards a pontoon boat. Can anyone comment on how well these work and how many months of the year they can be used without freezing your !@# off?
Pontoons work great in lakes and depending on the model and your level of training, a lot of rivers too.

Back