Rod Holders

Folbe has an orca style holder that I've had good luck with. Ran them for a couple charter seasons without issue. I'd prefer to support the canadian products but I do find those superior to the orca.
I have a pair of orcas but sent 2 rods (at least) overboard with those. Luckily they stayed in the clip but it's not ideal soaking your gear in the chuck, bor is the feeling while you pull your rigger to see if it's still in the clip. If you run them off your gunnels one side sits nice but the other side threatens to pop out, especially as you turn. I had one auto eject on the inside turn twice. I admittedly like significant tension on the roads which doesn't help. Hali fishing is a no with the orcas (my opinion anyhow). I dont like the rigger cannons either for hali as I've broken a pair off over the years and had the rods go for a swim....
Never have I had a Stryker break off. The teath go eventually but they've all lasted a couple hundred days before that happens and you can feel the mechanism failing beforehand. Warning is all you can ask. Everything breaks eventually.
Ok, I said it a few times on here and will say it again: you have to flip the Orca holder upside down on one of the sides and you will have no gear loss. Both sides have to be installed so that the rod handle pushes against the hinge side of the holder. It super simple and you would think that after 1 rod loss you figure this out especially when this little install trick has been published many times over. Or do you also not use your car anymore because you need a new tire?

Ok, I said it a few times on here and will say it again: you have to flip the Orca holder upside down on one of the sides and you will have no gear loss. Both sides have to be installed so that the rod handle pushes against the hinge side of the holder. It super simple and you would think that after 1 rod loss you figure this out especially when this little install trick has been published many times over. Or do you also not use your car anymore because you need a new
You got me on that one. Think a hand just popped out of my phone and smacked me upside the noggin.

This is my set up, also love my Orca’s. I have only ran this configuration for 3 seasons now but in that time I have had no issues. Scotty changed them from the older versions and I’m not sure when that took place exactly. The new ones require a bit of a twist to open they don’t just flop open like the older versions did. These require one to apply force to the but of the rod and push down on the bottom end of the holder while simultaneously pulling up and over on the top. I don’t think it would work mounting the new ones up side down. It takes some getting used to and trust me they do not like to open if it’s not done right. But once you get on to them it’s a quick flip and bang it’s in your hands.

50714592112_d7b0f8a055_k.jpg

Last edited:
I like the strikers , to many bad stories of lost gear on the orcas. I made these up for the striker , proto type , will come up with something that looks a bit better on the boom, but works great

It's a bit early to be on about rod-holders, but here's what I like.

Ones that can follow easy and explicit instructions on how many pulls to let out, how to do a quick weed check and who can hold the rod still and in place when I'm rowing/fishing.

Also, it helps if they are female, blonde or brunette, and easy on the eyes................damn......just occurred to me you're not talking about those kinds of rod-holders at all.

Sorry, my bad. :p

Take care.

View attachment 42512

Yes Dave, You had some high quality Rod holders that night !

CRGreg

Mounted my Stealth QR2 rod holders on the down riggers, and have 2 QR 2's for the rails. Can't wait to mount the down riggers and try them out, will be a couple more months before I get the boat. Thanks Derby for hooking me up with the QR 2's

Mounted my Stealth QR2 rod holders on the down riggers, and have 2 QR 2's for the rails. Can't wait to mount the down riggers and try them out, will be a couple more months before I get the boat. Thanks Derby for hooking me up with the QR 2's
How do you like the stealths? Debating between those and the burnewiins myself as I just lost a new islander and rod from a scotty breaking lol

How do you like the stealths? Debating between those and the burnewiins myself as I just lost a new islander and rod from a scotty breaking lol
I haven't tried them out yet I have them on my down riggers and going too put 2 rail mounts on the boat. Boat is just getting the electronics installed and the motors will be on soon.

I tried out the rod holders not to bad. The only problem is the rail mounts slide down. What is the best way to stop them from sliding down. Don’t want to drill threw the rail.

Back