Rinsing fish

Osama Bin Hopper

Who does it?

Why? Why not?

I'll go first and say I try at all costs to avoid it. Bleed instantly, onto ice, clean surface for each fillet... if there is a tad of blood towel it off..

Then into the vac bag and go.

Something about the water touching the flesh is extremely unappealing to me. Have done contract guiding with lodges that fillet unbled fish, scoot those fillets into sink full of water, yank and seal... [xx(]

Am I wrong???

Gimee the gaff!!!

Water and flesh = [xx(]
Thats why the the commercial fish are accepted after sitting in slurry for several days. They aren't cut.
Don't overbonk the fish, bleed it, or in C.S.'s case, slit and spray it on fellow crew members, Then into an igloo w slurry (salt ice -water combo)or ice. Don't forget to drain the cooler when done fishing. Ready for transport.
I rinse and dry a frozen vac seal filet after thawing.
Fresh processing, no water, just lots of paper towel.

Water and flesh = [xx(]
Thats why the the commercial fish are accepted after sitting in slurry for several days. They aren't cut.
Don't overbonk the fish, bleed it, or in C.S.'s case, slit and spray it on fellow crew members, Then into an igloo w slurry (salt ice -water combo)or ice. Don't forget to drain the cooler when done fishing. Ready for transport.
I rinse and dry a frozen vac seal filet after thawing.
Fresh processing, no water, just lots of paper towel.

I think you can rinse the fillets but you need to thoroughly dry/towel them before processing/freezing.

I think you can rinse the fillets but you need to thoroughly dry/towel them before processing/freezing.

There's a good thread on the Oregon forum about this. Consensus is don't rinse, use paper towel for blood spots. Has to do with cell walls and the fresh water passing through to the saltier side creating a broken down layer of paler coloured flesh on the surface of the filet.

There's a good thread on the Oregon forum about this. Consensus is don't rinse, use paper towel for blood spots. Has to do with cell walls and the fresh water passing through to the saltier side creating a broken down layer of paler coloured flesh on the surface of the filet.

Good post Jeff, I agree. As soon as water touches the flesh, bacteria begins to grow. If at all possible, keep in round until just before processing. I never fillet fish any more, other than really large halis.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Good post Jeff, I agree. As soon as water touches the flesh, bacteria begins to grow. If at all possible, keep in round until just before processing. I never fillet fish any more, other than really large halis.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

i dont rinse the fillets i rinse fish belly and outside beforehand and take care not to put flesh side down on table-- we clean and ice fish on the boat and are in premo condition when we get home to fillet and vac pac - found this interesting pdf though where they do rinsehttp://www.marel.com/resources/Files/brochures/Salmon-Desliming_Filletwashing.pdf and if we have a bunch of fish we scrape the carcass with a large spoon and make salmon burgers - youd be ammazed how much meat you get from a half dozen fish carcasses - good for soup too

lordofthesprings

ermm. It is common CFIA regulations that the fish are rinsed before cutting and after cutting. That doesn't mean to get it wet till the color changes. I'm surprised more people don't know how to properly handle their catch.

Teach us oh great anonymous! Talkin' to a bunch of no minds here for sure...

Hahaha.

You keep the wet crap in your deepfreeze and I will keep the good stuff in mine!

Gimee the gaff!!!

We clean (gut and gill) ice. Get it home process and Vacuum pack. Same thread ,I guess-I don't bleed salmon when caught but I do all white fish-I have never seen any blood shotting of the flesh except from over or inaccurate bonking. Logically doesn't make sense-if you feel you should do it for white fish-why not salmon??

th_fishing2006026.jpg

at some cutting tables you can rinse with salt water... i can't see that having a negative effect?

i think getting the slime off is of major importance. bagging a filet with slime still all over it means the meat is likely gonna get covered in slime and that stuff gets fishy smelling pretty quickly.

Agreed wholeheartedly likwit.

Here is my process.

Fish in round on ice.

Fish come out one at a time. Each is rinsed thoroughly before hitting the table.

Off comes fillet 1. Onto second part of table seperate cutting covered with towel. Seperate towel for flesh.

Into vac bag. Cutting board rinsed between fish, fish rinsed between touching board. Skin towel, flesh towel.

Very happy with the quality of meat.

With halis I will hang them and deslime with knife prior to placing on cutting board.

Gimee the gaff!!!

Did an experiment today Jeff

with some fresh sockeye , Rinsed off all of the fish first , filleted the first one , patted it down with dry towel , placed on seperate board to sit , same to second fish , but , rinsed in real cold water , patted down with towel ,and place it on the board ,

i air dry them for a few minutes before i place them in my vac bags, better , tighter seal without any juices i find , Both pieces looked identical before sealing ? outta curiosity , why should they NOT be rinsed ?? anybody???

FD...[?]

FD

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

If I get slime, scales or blood on the fillets I will moderately rinse off this stuff. Then thoroughly dry it with paper towels. I am very happy with my results too. I think the key is moderately and not high pressure nor high volume flushing and immediately and completely drying - then you are fine. But agree, if not need to rinse then leave it.

Back