Ride quality of 18.5 Outrage compared to 18.5 ft Double Eagle

Alley Oop

I'd like to know people's experience as far as ride quality (lack of pounding) when travelling in winds of say about 15 - 20 knots in an 18.5 ft Outrage compared to say an 18.5 ft Double Eagle or similar boat. I owned an 16 ft Montauk for about 25 years. It was a great fishing platform but man did it ever pound when the water got rough. I was out in my buddy's 18.5 Double Eagle in 15 - 20 knot winds and it was a rough ride but I've never had the opportunity to travel in an 18.5 Outrage so I'm hoping someone has experienced travelling in both types of boats in rough water.
Thanks in advance.

I have owned both, although a couple decades apart. The older outrages have no where near the deep V that the DE's do but do handle water pretty well, although they are more prone to pounding than a deeper V double eagle. Your going to get quite beat up in a 18' outrage in 15-20 kt winds than in a double eagle in my experience.

GnB

Loving my new to me 185 DE. can’t believe how well it handles the big stuff. the deep v takes all the starch out of those rough waves, especially when surfing with the waves

Do you fish in winter? Do you jig with 4 people sometimes? Do you flyfish? Do you mind putting on rain gear? Do you launch solo and have a need to climb up and over the bow from the trailer? Do you want to be able to chase a fish around the bow?
Would you have equal confidence offshore if it blows up? Do you enjoy bumping your head?
I have a 16/17 Whaler and would pick the Outrage, but my answers to the above questions could be different than yours. And if I ever move to the island, I might change my opinion, because I would be out more in 4 seasons.
The pounding is a trade-off for stability. A smaller deep vee will be "tippier".

Did your buddy have trim tabs on the DE and does he know how to use them? I can tell you from personal experience on our 20' DE that trim tabs are a must. That deep V is one of the DE's biggest attributes and good use of motor trim and trim tabs allows you to force that bow down so the hull can part the water. It will slow you down and use more fuel but our boat sure loves to part big water.

Definitely don't want to break my back.
I do fish in winter, don't mind putting on rain gear, do launch solo and climb over the bow plus chase fish around the entire boat. Did all this on my Montauk, the Montauk was a great fishing platform.
I'm considering all of these questions as well as travelling distances. Thinking seriously of retiring to the island so there is a lot to consider.
I'm going to check if my buddy has trim tabs and if he knows how to use them. Could be that he didn't use the tabs.
The bottom line is that I'll have to get out in an 18 ft Outrage.
Thanks for all the input guys.

My fishing buddy has a 22 ft outrage and I can say without a doubt it is the most seaworthy boat I have been in. The trade off is that the ride is terrible unless you sit at the stern of the boat.
The bottom line is where you prefer the ride- skiff type hulls are lovely to troll with as there is very little roll, but can be murder when pounding against the tide. Deep vees like the DE will handle the adverse conditions much better at speed but will have a lot more roll at slow speeds.
Put in a shockwave seat in an outrage and I think you will be more than happy- until you get fed up with the rain.

Back