Return to Telegraph Cove

F

fishfanatic

It has been over 20 years since I last visited telegraph cove with my parents. I now have a son of my own who is anxious to try his hand at catching some salmon. After reading the posts on this site for the last 2 months I have come to realize that a lot has changed regarding tackle and was wondering if a few you could help get me up to speed.
I would like to concentrate my efforts on catching a few springs, but will go after the pinks if it will help my son catch a few fish.
Any suggestions on tackle to use or locations around telegraph cove and malcom island would be greatly appreciated. We will be at the Telegraph Cove campground from the 7th to the 17th of August.
My boat is set up with a single downrigger.

Flashers and anchovies. The green work consistantly well, but the green with a green strip down the side have been producing lately. Glow in the dark heads, or even army truck heads for the anchovies. anywhere from 4 to 6ft liters. And for the pinks and sockeyes, use the shorter liters, the Springs the longer liters. For pinks use a pink hootchie with a orange flasher, its like taking candy from a baby to catch em that way. Hope this helps,

David
Serengeti Fishing Charters

Thanks for heading me in the right direction. Since I only have one downrigger I was wondering if the Deep Six and Pink Ladys are still used to get your line down or should I try to run two lines on the downrigger. Thanks again for the info.

This time of year the Deep6 works just great. It will get your line down about 20-30ft and if the Coho or Pinks are in the area it will produce. I use one every time I'm out and it catches lots of fish. I've used the Deep6 with a flasher plus a hootchie with a long leader to prevent tangles -- let them out slowly. With that long train out there, it's pretty difficult to tell the size of the fish at the end, so lately I don't use the flasher and have a Deep6 with the shiny whiskers hanging off the side so it works as both a weight and an attractor.

TenMile,
Thanks for the info. Every bit of info will help this rookie out.:)

Back