Repower 1991 17.5 Double Eagle

Tips Up

Looking to repower my 1991 17.5 ft Double Eagle.

Currently have 2 stroke 90 hp Yamaha.
Looking to repower with 4 stroke 90 hp Yamaha.

Anyone done this?

Looks like I will need a 20" leg not 25"

I currently have a 4 stroke 9.9 kicker mounted on transom. Not sure if there will be room for this as is once I put the larger in size 4 stroke on but also don't have room to move kicker over more than a couple of inches.

Any insight from someone who has repowered same boat would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just put a 115 Yam 4 stroke on my 93 Malibu Tyee 17.5 which from what I understand is the hull. Yes it was a 20" leg and there is plenty of room for the 9.9 4 stroke kicker. I went 115 as the weight for the 115B was only 10 lbs more than the 90. A 115 2 smoke came off of it. It is just a tad more stern heavy after the re-power.

from what I've seen and I know two family members with 17.5 one hard top one soft top and they are not a bow light boat like my 18.5 De and they have 100 yamaha or 115 yamaha on them and no problems at all with t8's as kickers. I know not a 9.9 but I wouldn't think the 9.9 takes up all that much more room. The guys are happy with their hole shots given the added weight from going 2 stroke to 4 stroke. I went from a 2stroke 115 to a 1404stroke and I have bow rise but it's not all that bad and hole shot is very minimal difference from theirs. I do like how the 17.5 just goes but the 18.5 is topping them in the long run. We haven't run one on one in a chop though I know I pound more in my boat than the 17.5 though; but on the other hand I have a 3 and 1 year old and the cuddy is the selling factor for me. Maybe if my son still enjoys the outings on the boat when he's 13 I'll trade up to a 24 footer and do some real long trips with him. Good luck with the purchase and let us know how it goes.

I've got a 90 Honda on my 98 176 lots of room on the back for it and the 8 Honda kicker if I was going to repower I'd kick it up to a 115 but that's just personal preference

pod it while you can, you will NOT Regret it. Plus go with a 115 or 125 ......

Flat back that stern, sitting lower or not you got lots of depth then.

Thank for the feedback.
Deal fell through on the motor I had lined up.

I am now looking for a used 90 hp 4 stroke if anyone has one or hears of one.

Thanks

Thanks Scott. That one has been around a while and renewed.

SN531 - When I repower I will sell off the 2 stroke. It does not need a rebuild. It runs like a top. Just has leaks in the power tilt cylinders and the power tilt motor is rusty so will not last for ever. I'd like to replace with a 4 stroke to lose the 2 stroke smell, better fuel efficiency and quieter. I use the boat a ton and have kids on board more often than not now so these would all be improvements.

Would sure like to find a power trim/tilt unit to replace on this motor for now. Can't seem to find one.

What is the model number of your 90? Yamaha parts are used across a wide range of years/models, which would allow you to widen your search. PM me the info, I should be able to let you know which ones will fit.

Back