Replacement hooks - your "go to"

FishBear

Often, manufacturers don't put the best hooks on their retail products. Example would be a brand new, in-the-package spoon with "whatever" make hook on it that automatically needs to be replaced before it even comes close to your tackle box.

What hook make do you go to? Mustad? Owner? Gamakatsu?

Stainless? 2x? Siwash? 3x? Sickle? Wide gap?

What say you?

We're launching a new hook from VMC this week which fits this topic. It's called the VMC 7175 Techset Open Eye Siwash. 2x strong and Coastal Black finish which is 4 times as corrosion resistant as regular black nickel. Some stores in BC will have stock in the next couple weeks.

Attachments

• VMC 7175.png
    VMC 7175.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 125
  • VMC 7175 2.jpg
    VMC 7175 2.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 138
We're launching a new hook from VMC this week which fits this topic. It's called the VMC 7175 Techset Open Eye Siwash. 2x strong and Coastal Black finish which is 4 times as corrosion resistant as regular black nickel. Some stores in BC will have stock in the next couple weeks.
I like the look of those!

Owner for trebles and Gamis big river open eye for spoons and hoochies. Would be willing to field test some of the new VMCs if you are willing to send to me ;)

Shank is too short for my liking...
not saying they won't work.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Wondering why the short shank was implemented for these new hooks. Might be a reason we are missing??

Like the look of the hooks other than the shorter shank. Might be great for the people that prefer using swivels on the hook side of their spoons

Oly

great thread for me. I am one who fishes less frequently than I like and would wash my rigs with freshwater after use only to find the snell knot tied rigs (anchovie and hootchies) would rust under the snell knot I use on siwash hooks. Accordingly I went to stainless on such rigs trying to eliminate the rust problem and found a) stainless needs a ton of sharpening out of the box, and b) most of the stainless hook used with snell knot would bend with a decent fish. So..... is there a siwash hook that will not rust under the snell knot, have right offset, and will not bend? I am ok if I have to sharpen, but bending cost me several nice fish on recent nootka trip? DAJ

For years, I have run Eagle Claw Circle Sea 5/0. (Yes, I'm the circle hook guy from Nootka, and many have been given circle hooks to try).

However, if you can find the TRUE VMC hooks made from Vanadium (it does not rust or corrode and stays very sharp) as a Circle Hook, I am especially fond of them, but they are pretty hard to find. I do have a stock pile, and they are a very well made but a bit pricey hook.

As a Circle hook, you really do not need to worry about barbless and losing fish. Just saying, as I have for years. JUST DO NOT GO AND SET THE HOOK ON A HIT! The fish will do all the work for you and if you want to release the fish, the gills will not get damaged.

Drewski

great thread for me. I am one who fishes less frequently than I like and would wash my rigs with freshwater after use only to find the snell knot tied rigs (anchovie and hootchies) would rust under the snell knot I use on siwash hooks. Accordingly I went to stainless on such rigs trying to eliminate the rust problem and found a) stainless needs a ton of sharpening out of the box, and b) most of the stainless hook used with snell knot would bend with a decent fish. So..... is there a siwash hook that will not rust under the snell knot, have right offset, and will not bend? I am ok if I have to sharpen, but bending cost me several nice fish on recent nootka trip? DAJ
It sounds like your original hooks were sharp and could hold a good fish... if that’s the case I say use them and replace them more frequently. Tying new leaders is a good habit and cheap insurance that you won’t lose the fish if a lifetime.
I have a handful of each of my favourite teasers, spoons and hoochies all pre tied with brand new leaders, and when I use them a time or two, or hook a good fish, I swap it out. The benefit there is your used hook can go back into the tackle box and be used again later as it’s not rusting under the line while stored.

I’d like to give those a try.

I currently rig all the spoons that I paint with Mustad stainless steel hooks. The barbs don’t pinch properly so I now grind them down flat. This cleans them up nicely but it’s time consuming when your doing 200 at a time.

Back