check your hook eyes

tubber

While playing with my tackle the other day, I remembered that I reeled up a hookless turd after a take down last season.
So I began to check all my mustad stainless hooks for rust spots at the eye. Most were fine, but if there was a rust spot and I grabbed the eye with a small pair of channel locks and gave it a twist, the hook would break at the eye quite often, sometimes just crumbling.
I read on the commercial trolling site that some of them change all their hooks every year. I can't afford that, but I'm glad I have replaced some. I have some new eagle claw 211ss claw point siwash hooks that are easier to squeeze closed (and sharpen) that may solve the problem.

I've been trying to rinse my gear and squeeze my eyes in one pass as mentioned here, but the little fractures at the eye still rust out sometimes.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...size-for-coyote-spoons/page2&highlight=coyote spoon hook size

Also, check your coast lock snaps. I find that when they become unusually easy to close it means they are about to break.

Back