Replacement hooks - your "go to"

The north pacific ones posted earlier in this thread are great, although they do rust after a while. My go to's on lighter spoons (under 5 inches).

For larger spoons that can handle a heavier hook and my octopus, cuttlefish, and scud sized hootchies, I like the eagle claw permasteel (never ever rust) siwash with the curved point. Hard to find now as I think they stopped making them.

For sockeye squirts and needlefish squirts I like the maruto black nickel siwash or the north pacific ones I mentioned above. Either 3/0 or 4/0, rigged with a swivel inside the hootch.

For larger spoons that can handle a heavier hook and my octopus, cuttlefish, and scud sized hootchies, I like the eagle claw permasteel (never ever rust) siwash with the curved point. Hard to find now as I think they stopped making them. .

Check the eye of a used eagle claw. They can crumble after being used then put in the box for a year or two. Happened to many of mine. One was on a fish. Maybe that's why they stopped making them.

Check the eye of a used eagle claw. They can crumble after being used then put in the box for a year or two. Happened to many of mine. One was on a fish. Maybe that's why they stopped making them.

Had it happen once in about 10 years of using them.

Wherever possible I use a Mustad 95170. It is a 3x strong with a beak on the point (point is turned toward the shaft). Learned about this hook from some trollers. It needs heavy sharpening. Tomic stopped using these hooks in favor of VMC because the eyes (on the 95170) can be damaged when crimping the eye. I use a vise with slow steady pressure & don't overcrimp. If I want a lighter hook, then the owner siwash is my choice. The Gammies rust whenever they are within 100 miles of saltwater.
There is a fairly new style hook called an "inline" hook made for replacing trebles on lures. They are a closed eye hook & the shaft is much shorter than a siwash.

Remember that most siwash hooks were designed for commercial trolling where the stresses on the hook are much greater that sport fishing.
Some lures such as the Iron Needle spoon were designed to have optimal action with the hook they come with, so changing hooks COULD result in changing the action of your lure.

Back