Removing the Crabs Carapace

I agree about better kept out of garbage, gonna freeze and chuck back in water on next trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes and fill the land fills that much quicker and
when old blackie comes and raids the garbage
and freaks the wife and kids out
just thank the DFO for a useless rule
it comes from the Ocean put it back in the Ocean, my personal thoughts

Wondering why you think that rule is useless? Any idea how many under sized crab are kept because the poachers think they can get away with it by cleaning them? Probably lots.

yes and fill the land fills that much quicker and
when old blackie comes and raids the garbage
and freaks the wife and kids out
just thank the DFO for a useless rule
it comes from the Ocean put it back in the Ocean, my personal thoughts

Guess its such a hassle to abide by set rules isnt it.... we have the best place in the world to take fish,shellfish.clams .oysters its not really hard to do. YES i agree its a pain in the butt but its in there for a reason... follow the rules its NOT hard......

I wish we lived in a world where you can trust people to do the RIGHT thing but it doesnt work that way .... I cant tell you how many times ive seen people trying to take undersize crabs off the dock LAST year alone I confronted a few people even to the point where I threw his bucket of crabs back in the water and it almost got ugly....

Then this person went and complained to management that we as "guides" were hostile and threatened him IN NO WAY did i ever do that simply went over with the measure tool and said this is how big they have to be.... he keep say its ok its ok.... I said no its NOT now toss them back.... he didnt so I did.....
I wont say what race it was but im sure you get the jest....

What you going to freeze the pointed carapace in ?Bags rip and leak while you lift into the freezer.Then you made more garbage.I on arival at home set up cook stove, large pot with clean rocks in bottom, add water to just cover tops of rocks ,bring to boail.while waiting to boail ,I grab all the starboard legs with my right hand and all the port legs with my left hand with carapace away from you.place eyes and mouth on edge of table or horse and apply downward pressure and the carapace comes right off and into garbage pail in front of you,a shake of the crab above the pail,pluck a few gills, and a rinse in water, and on ice.Now your pot is full of steam and your ready to cook crab.pail of carapace's and goo go to the curb or back to the chuck.I find I don't damage or lose the body meat this way.I will try your recipe in my pot .

Last edited by a moderator:
I use dull knife or screwdriver from the back of crab between carapace and body, wiggle side to side. I then grab carapace and twist it off body holding upside down and most juices stay in the shell, pull a few gills place them in carapace and rinse crab body. Ill place upsidedown carapace in an appropraite size conatiner and sit in deepfreeze till next fishing trip. I'll bring it, dump and rinse container.

Once it is landed. Off the dock in California, is ok to clean and cook. But DFG does check at the docks as the boats pull up. We can actually cook in the parking lot and eat crab there. How about if you have a camper? Can you cook and eat at the campground, as that is not your primary residence?

we now do not have any DFO on the entire sunshine coast
we have one understaffed conservation officer
so we do look after are resources and no i don't take undersize crab or females
or won't let any one else for that matter if i see i will report or do something about it ...

but some rules are just plain stupid crab shells for one but need i go on as stated just my thoughts
yes we do have rules and regs and people who flaunt them do so at there own risk

but sometimes common sense takes a back seat.

Back