Removing the Crabs Carapace

Elfhunter

The Regs state "It is prohibited to have in one's possession shelled or shucked crab, except at a person's place of ordinary residence." I like to clean the crab at the boat, but keep the Carapace in a plastic bag in case I get stopped by a Fisheries Officer, which I have. The Officer was fine with that, but it is contrary to the Regs. Anyone else clean their crabs at the boat? I am curious how the guides clean their crabs for their clients, or do they send the crabs home whole?

Interested to hear the feedback on this one, PITA keeping crab guts in the freezer til garbage day or next trip out.

I always transport crab whole . In a cooler, calmly place a row of crab and a towels between layers of live crab, place ice pack on top or side as you stack.don't transport in water they suffocate ,have drain open on cooler.in 6 hours they will be dead so try to kill the crab and clean before 4 hours.

put the guts n a bag and freeze it til garbage day...

I don't clean them for clients because they have to transport them home whole. The only time we clean them is if we are cooking them on site. Keep them alive in a cage suspended under the dock until you are ready to go home is my advice.

I always cook mine alive as I prefer the flavour of the meat cooked alive in sea water. If I have to keep the crab on board until the end of the day I keep them alive in a bucket on deck and give them an hourly exchange of water with my wash down hose. I just spray into the bucket and let it spill over the top until most of the old water has been flushed out.

Give them to clients whole.
I remember getting a talk to at the marina one time by DFO as my clients were camped at sunny shores, as I cleaned them for them to cook up in camp....I said they are right there!!!! pointing to there rig still he was giving me grief....me personally bring them home and clean them at home carry the stuff down to the dock next day..
As for cooking never whole thats gross your cooking food with GUTS YUCK......
I use a recipe that is basically steaming it

Segment all crab put in big pot.
olive oil
1 cup of wine
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp garlic
any herb you like cilantro/dill/mrs dash etc
, couple squirts of lemon juice
pinch of S&P

these are just basic measurements if you dont like certain things add more or less you will tune into what you will like most

turn on high get it steaming good... shake in pot to rotate the crab takes about 10 mins dump into bowl and dig in get a nice banquette bread and soak up all the juices while eating

this way here you capturing all the crab flavor as when you boil you leech out alot of flavor ..give it a whirl its the only way im allowed to make it now LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never heard of killing and segmenting crabs before cooking until I came here. The 'traditional' method for us was live and whole into a pot of boiling water. Still don't like boiled crab parts. I think the flavor suffers but that's just my opinion.

Wolf, your method sounds like it might work pretty good, as well!

Yum! Fresh Dungeness. :)

Well that recipe was taught to me from a Chef who trained me in culinary school Great instructor and long time friend he knows more about fine dining and the arts then ill ever know....

Back onto the subject DFO has nabbed tons of people down on docks for cleaning crabs so please just dont do it I know its a pain in the arse but not really worth the hassle

olive oil
1 cup of wine
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp garlic
pinch of S&P

Think Im going to have to try that one out.

olive oil
1 cup of wine
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp garlic
pinch of S&P

Think Im going to have to try that one out.
Essentially a steaming recipe versus boiling?

Yes .... With you steaming your injecting the flavors of what you have in pot the wine lemon,garlic ,herbs!!!!...

With plain salt water your leeching out the flavors think of it in this way would you make a gravy or soup with just plain water??you would use a concentrated stock...

You aren't boiling them in plain sea water you are boiling them in those yummy guts concentrate! ;)

Give them to clients whole.
I remember getting a talk to at the marina one time by DFO as my clients were camped at sunny shores, as I cleaned them for them to cook up in camp....I said they are right there!!!! pointing to there rig still he was giving me grief....me personally bring them home and clean them at home carry the stuff down to the dock next day..
As for cooking never whole thats gross your cooking food with GUTS YUCK......
I use a recipe that is basically steaming it

olive oil
1 cup of wine
2 tbsp grated ginger
2 tbsp garlic
pinch of S&P

these are just basic measurements if you dont like certain things add more or less you will tune into what you will like most

turn on high get it steaming good... shake in pot to rotate the crab takes about 10 mins dump into bowl and dig in get a nice banquette bread and soak up all the juices while eating

this way here you capturing all the crab flavor as when you boil you leech out alot of flavor ..give it a whirl its the only way im allowed to make it now LOL

No water in the pot at all? Steam is just from the wine and moisture in the meat.

YES with a lid on it wont steam all the liquid away you actually gain...

Now that a couple others have passed on their thoughts, I am going to view cleaning them at home with a little less negativity. Im glad to be reminded that the regs are in place for a reason and I for one am happy to comply in order to do my part in protecting the resource, I gladly got the message. Thanks

yes and fill the land fills that much quicker and
when old blackie comes and raids the garbage
and freaks the wife and kids out
just thank the DFO for a useless rule
it comes from the Ocean put it back in the Ocean, my personal thoughts

yes and fill the land fills that much quicker and
when old blackie comes and raids the garbage
and freaks the wife and kids out
just thank the DFO for a useless rule
it comes from the Ocean put it back in the Ocean, my personal thoughts

I'm with you on that W.T.