Remembering a Time... The Start!

Time to start fishing like a hunter .choose your moment walk to the edge of the river ,hook your target fish and kill it forget the multiple fish you could catch and release.Sit back with your photo device and report others who foul hook,and catch/release fish and post it here on a new thread.I have no problem fouling up your plans if your in the river and I choose to cast from shore.Remembering a hunter must clip a tag for a escaped animal,One in the basket is better than several pricks in the river.

FFO should be open areas to other forms of fishing ,but should be youth and senior areas on weekends .

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting read for sure...last few pages have been most entertaining. Sharphooks, my hat is off to you man. That is THE best post ever. Pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole issue, and have for many years. My personal bottom line is we need to leave the tackle box out of the whole approach to regulations - instead lets focus on keeping rivers open to anglers, regulations simple and easy to follow, and encourage all anglers to participate in the fishery. We can all agree that snaggers and poachers (whether they use flies or trebble hooks) are bad dudes, and we can deal with those guys through enforcement and education. To use them as an "excuse" to change regulations to remove a segment of the angling community is simply wrong. We are all missing the point...if we don't find ways to encourage more new anglers to take an interest and develop a passion for these fish and our sport, then there will be NO ONE left to speak for the river and our fish. Our angling heritage is worth protecting. So too is the notion of all anglers working in solidarity for our fish.

Interesting read for sure...last few pages have been most entertaining. Sharphooks, my hat is off to you man. That is THE best post ever. Pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole issue, and have for many years. My personal bottom line is we need to leave the tackle box out of the whole approach to regulations - instead lets focus on keeping rivers open to anglers, regulations simple and easy to follow, and encourage all anglers to participate in the fishery. We can all agree that snaggers and poachers (whether they use flies or trebble hooks) are bad dudes, and we can deal with those guys through enforcement and education. To use them as an "excuse" to change regulations to remove a segment of the angling community is simply wrong. We are all missing the point...if we don't find ways to encourage more new anglers to take an interest and develop a passion for these fish and our sport, then there will be NO ONE left to speak for the river and our fish. Our angling heritage is worth protecting. So too is the notion of all anglers working in solidarity for our fish.

Thanks well said. Feel same way we need to keep our river opportunities open and allow everyone to participate.

Well said! I couldn't agree more.

It is a simple solution(although not perfect), want to keep snaggers at bay make it FFO. Does that stop some fly fishermen from flossing fish, no of course not. Does stop the hoards of red necks that would love to be there with heavy lead and yarn ripping it through the pools? yes it does stop that.

So for a river like the sooke it does work.

So the FFO on the Sooke was a management tool used to keep red necks at bay?
I guess if that's the intention, then yes it does work.

Just head down to the Gorge waterway if you want a real S**T SHOW;red neck fishery at best,fortunately DFO has been around recently to scope out the situation.

ways to encourage more new anglers to take an interest

We call it the Fraser Sockeye "fishery". Brings out loads and loads of "new anglers". And with that, an "introduction" on other rivers of "new and improved" tactics to get a fish on the end of the line.

I personally believe, it's not the equipment, just the "type" of people that ARE getting into the fishing scene and the reasons they use to be part of the scene. It's scary when I listen to some of the "Reasoning" for their "enjoyment" of the sport. And no, I never in my 50 some years have used the reasons that I hear now.

Edit to add:

I just watched the video. Don't know if it's something that I would watch again, and other than the "question", nothing in it made me "see the light". Probably should "redo", even though, maybe it's just part of the filmmaker's "evolution". (what's with the skull?)

Even with the myriad of modern fly lines, sink tips etc. etc., there is no way fly fishing is anywhere near as effective for catching fish, except may be for those that floss low water salmon. Assuming every type of terminal tackle (fly, lure or bait) has a similar percentage of C&R mortality, the simple math will prove that fly fishing will simply catch less fish for the amount of angler hours.

It's not like we're talking about a prejudice against a certain people here. Anyone can choose there method. The big difference is that numbers of fish to the beach is more important to some than others. I guess it's only human that most gravitate to the method that takes the least effort.

"Remember a Time"? Twenty years ago, pretty much no body targeted chums and pinks in rivers around here. I can remember in the 80's I'd take my trout rod up the Campbell and fish pinks to kill time while my guide friends had an afternoon nap. I was alone, and would often get a snicker from those that saw me.

BC Federation of Fly Fishers
Yesterday · Edited
This week Pete Caverhill and Bob Hooton will be representing the BCFFF at the Provincial Angling Advisory Team meeting in Richmond. This meeting takes place twice a year and is attended by several branches of the provincial government along with members from the angling advocacy community. Generally, issues that are of provincial concern are discussed however at this meeting we asked that the Moricetown steelhead tagging program be added to the agenda as we feel changes need to be made to eliminate the abuse these fish are subjected to. We are also concerned with quality angling opportunities and have also asked to discuss the implications of unrestricted guiding on non-classified streams and the proliferation of powered boats on rivers.

BC Federation of Fly Fishers
Yesterday · Edited
This week Pete Caverhill and Bob Hooton will be representing the BCFFF at the Provincial Angling Advisory Team meeting in Richmond. This meeting takes place twice a year and is attended by several branches of the provincial government along with members from the angling advocacy community. Generally, issues that are of provincial concern are discussed however at this meeting we asked that the Moricetown steelhead tagging program be added to the agenda as we feel changes need to be made to eliminate the abuse these fish are subjected to. We are also concerned with quality angling opportunities and have also asked to discuss the implications of unrestricted guiding on non-classified streams and the proliferation of powered boats on rivers.

thank u for posting this... I have a couple questions myself regarding this ...

The BCFDF will be attending the meeting so perhaps we can get a couple questions answered... :)

Maybe all the abuse they are talking about is actually hooking a fish and playing around with them.:cool:

Back