Relocating to Canada

D

Darryl

Hi there
I'm a mad keen flyfisherman from New Zealand, and looking at relocating my family to Canada for a few years to experience life in another country. My fishing affliction consists mainly of chasing Rainbow & Brown Trout in rivers and lakes of the North Island. During the winter catching fresh run trout in the Tongariro River and Taupo region, and summer dry fly / nymph fishing the smaller local streams, and occaisionally jigging or trolling lakes from my kayak. I have also been known to hit the saltwater occaisionaly - rock/beach fishing, or soft baits off the kayak.

My family is also into outdoor activities like tramping, boating, skiing etc, so would be looking for an area that isn't too far away from some of these things. At this stage I am looking for jobs in the Vancouver Island, Vancouver city and Okanagan areas.
I am really keen to try fishing for salmon, bass, halibut etc (and trout too). We also intend on travelling around a bit to take in the scenery and sights - railway trips and wildlife tours etc.

Does anyone had any advice regarding the best places to live / or not to live, what fishing gear to bring, what the seasons are like, licences & regulations, access to rivers etc....

Perhaps I could return the favour with some hot tips for anyone venturing over this way?

Cheers
Darryl

Hello Daryl
Anywhere you choose in BC you'll find good fishing if your a city type North Vancouver offers good access to ski hills river fishing and hiking trails.

Best place to live is without doubt Victoria. Best salmon and hali fishing close to urban grounds - again Victoria. For skiing and large trouts you better look in the interior - if there is anything left there after this fire season...

Cool, thanks for that.

We would prefer a smaller city, somewhere with a sense of community that we could get to know a few people. North vancouver or Vancouver Island sound perfect. However I probably won't be able to be too choosey - depends where or if any job offers arise.

I have made some job applications in Kelowna and Lethbridge.
What are the fishing options around there? Lake Okanagan looks interesting.

What do you mean by the 'interior' Chris?

I currently have 3 flyrod setups: all 9 foot - in 5weight,7/8 weight and 8/9 weight, all with floating and fast sinking lines.
I also have a couple of 6-7 foot graphite spin rods with fixed spool spin reels, loaded with 8 or 12 pound rainbow braid. We use these for casting lures, jigging flies for trout, or bottom bouncing jigheads with softbaits (powerbaits? ie Berkley etc)for saltwater fish.
Would any of this lot be appropriate over there?

If I don't have much luck looking for a job in BC, I will widen the search to other states. Was thinking about Alberta, Ontario and Nova Scotia. Have also read about salmon fishing in the Miramichi in New Brunswick. My French language is non existent so that may eliminate a few places.

Any help or advice is really appreciated.
Cheers
Darryl

Darryl, i think you should look at the lake cowichan or port alberni region of vancouver island! There are some amazing fishing oppourtunities in the area. Cowichan river is an amazing river steelhead and brown and rainbow trout!

Being an island the ocean is all around you. Head in any dirrection. Hope you find a job soon! the fishing is great year round!

Skiing is great at mount washington and other areas.

The north island has many small comunities. and many superb fishing oppourtunities aswell!

PM me if you would like some more info!

-Steve

Port Alberni likely fits your bill. There's fish every day of the year, loads of lakes, many good rivers including the Island's best hatchery system for steelhead, and of course access to the ocean is right out the front door. Of course I might be somewhat biased living here and all... [:eek:)]

What do you do for work? That will make a big difference on where you land, as this ain't exactly the year of opportunities regarding employment...

Cheers,
Nog

I'm a Civil Engineer with 18 years experience in roading/parks design & contract/project management. Looking for a suitable technician/technologist role in either a city council or engineering consulant.

Port Alberni sounds perfect. Know of any jobs going???

quote:Originally posted by Darryl

Port Alberni sounds perfect. Know of any jobs going???

Not in my ballpark that particular type of work - I'm a simple Fishing Fool is all.[^]

But here is the link to the City's site: http://www.portalberni.ca/
For what you're looking for, I'd suggest a direct contact with them to determine what may be coming up...

And here's the local job listings, updated daily: http://www.avemployment.ca/?Location=Port Alberni

Good Luck with your search, and if you happen to land here, by all means give me a shout! Methinks we might be able to find something to entertain ourselves with in your offtime! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Good stuff guys!

Those links have given me another 3 jobs to look into.
Will be spamming quite a few companies over the weekend with my job application, so heres hoping.

Looking forward to catching up with a few of you if I eventually make it over there. Would also be keen on joining any local freshwater fishing clubs if thats an option.

Tight lines,
Darryl

Back