registration papers on boat

Let me get this straight,you are saying that one MUST re- register the K numbers,because the police have the power to ticket you?I think a lot of boats out there haven't done so....

this is off transport canada website...only commercial boats must be registered.Read down and see .....

Let me get this straight,you are saying that one MUST re- register the K numbers,because the police have the power to ticket you?I think a lot of boats out there haven't done so....

You have a choice of registering the same K #s to your name when you purchase a boat, or get the new BC#s. It is not a "title document" (such as bill of sale, etc.) but is for "identification purposes" and required by law. If you are a "working" boat ( at any time during the year) then you DO go through a "registration" process, and ask any commercial operator, there is a lot involved with that, including training requirements, inspections etc. That's where most of the police enforcement happens.

If you have YOUR K#s on the boat, and can show your operators card, that is enuf for pleasurecraft. Most often police do not check you if they see a K# or BC# on the boat- so a lot of ppl get away with it.... at their risk

That hst crap about being good for small businesses,just made a return to the tax boys....penny to penny the same as the old PST-GST....BUMMER!

All that is required on board is a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence. The one with your boat number on it (old "K" number). They are not looking for registration. Registering your boat is not required and is optional.

That's not my understanding. You must produce registration on request and face a possible fine if you don't have the papers onboard. They were checking in The canal during Sockeye season a few years Back.

That's not my
understanding. You must produce registration on request and face a possible fine if you don't have the papers onboard. They were checking in The canal during Sockeye season a few years Back.

You are correct, it is actually boat license.
they will fine you without it.

I had my registration back in three weeks after sending it off, i paid 20 to send it to NB priority post, takes 10 days in regular mail each way from coast to coast , sending it express post will save you a few days others in the snail mail you can expect it to take a month, the RCMP check this regularly in Nanaimo , my understanding is they will give you one warning and if caught a second time you will be facing a 250$ fine and maybe even boat impoundment....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and remember ,, registration is not proof of ownership.....you need this with you also,, i have a copy of my sale contract on board.

and remember ,, registration is not proof of ownership.....you need this with you also,, i have a copy of my sale contract on board.

Thanks for pointing this out :).

I have always carried my registration (license) but after reading a few threads, I have added a copy of my bill of sale to my reggy pouch in the glove box. Been doing this for a couple of years now. The less hassle on the water, if checked, the better IMO. Makes your day go a lot more smoothly :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy old boats quite often. Strip em down and sell the parts.

Here's a link to get your boat licences:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3212.htm

And here's a link to a page to get the form you need if you bought a boat with no paperwork at all. Cost $17 for the commissioner of oaths to witness you swearing it in.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/declaration-eng.pdf

I got a boat a few years ago for free but paid $200 for the trailer. Got rid of the whole package and received a letter about 6 months after I sold it. BC govt wanted $24. The price of the tax on the $200. Normally I pay my taxs and follow the letter of the law. Not this time. The Libs have their filthy paws so deep into the pockets of the people in this province, I refused to pay. Took about 8 months and numerous phone calls and letters before I figured they really earned that $24.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't feel bad if you are all confused. I looked into this in depth and got no where. The Mounties definitely want to see your transport canada doc with your name attached to the boat number. Seems there really is no such thing as a registration, certainly no information on who you actually would register it with. I have asked a few Mounties over the years and they didn't really understand it. They all did say though that any proof of ownership like the tax paid info would likely be ok. The transport canada doc is a must though.

License seems to be the proper term :eek:. Transport Canada documentation plus proof of ownership. These two pieces of paper (copies) on board will make life a lot easier when checked. I let them come on board if they want to. I am up to snuff and have nothing to hide :cool:.

Thanks for pointing this out :).

I have always carried my registration (license) but after reading a few threads, I have added a copy of my bill of sale to my reggy pouch in the glove box. Been doing this for a couple of years now. The less hassle on the water, if checked, the better IMO. Makes your day go a lot more smoothly :cool:.
Yeah I carry it as well..

I recently went through all this stuff because I needed the MMSI number for my VHF radio- GPS link. Once you understand the difference between licence and registration, it's not really that hard. Licence was free other than postage. MMSI was free too, I did it by phone and email. I guess there will be a bill from the province eventually for the taxes on the second hand boat purchase, but since all the preceding paperwork was with the feds, that could take quite some time.

Through this process, I came to the conclusion that in BC there is no such thing as a government recognised title document for boats or engines. Your bill of sale is all there is really. Like several other posters have said, I'll be keeping copies of my vessel licence and bill of sale in a ziploc bag on my boat.

I wouldn't wait on the taxes you owe.... I know a few that have been screwed even with bill of sale.. I would just pay it as soon as you can..

Someone commented earlier that things are different for commercial operators. True. There is no question as a commercial operator you need your "C" number on the vessel. We have to carry on board all our commercial license info which spells out your operating conditions (max passengers, operating trade area, gross tonnage, sea conditions etc). We are also to carry all our operator certificates (SVOP, Med A3, Marine First Aid, VHF license plus your PCOC). I've been checked a few times by DFO fisheries officer, but have as yet to have to produce my documents - just asked if I had them on board.

In that light, I'm not at all surprised fisheries officers and RCMP officers will be looking for pleasure vessel registration along with your PCOC.

Back