Reel grease and oil

Macdeep

So grease- what’s the best? (Especially for salt water fishing- mooching reels and level winds) Where to get?

I’ve heard Cals grease works wonders from a few threads here.

Also seems to be lots of fans of the super lube.

I’m using the Danielsons reel grease cause that’s what I can get but I’m open to suggestions- definitely aware that the grease im using isn’t exactly top notch…

And then grease vs oil. I have the red “hot sauce” as well as the oil that comes with Hardy fly reels and I’ve used both on my level winds along with the grease I have. Hard to put grease down the oil ports 😂

Tried oil on rhe mooching reels (old peetz and old shimano 2000s) but I don’t think I’ll do that again

But what are the fan favourites and where to get them?

Okuma recommends Cal's. I figure that's pretty high praise for a major manufacturer to recommend a third party product.

I get mine from charkbait.

I've found superlube isn't as water resistant as I had hoped.

curious what’s so good about Cals? i’ve never heard of it. i use superlube on my islanders and i hate my islanders, especially mine. it was for sure the last reel made on a friday long weekend. i’ll take any and all advice

So where do you guys get your reel grease at then? Superlube and/or Cals? Fishing store? Amazon? Autoparts store?

Super lube with the PTFE is as good as Cals and way cheaper. Cals is hard to find. Corrosion X for oil and Yamaha marine grease for everything but drags. This has worked for me.

Dura-lube engine treatment, I use it on padlocks here at work. Lasts 3 to 4 years outside in constant weather. Sometimes use it on reels when I remember to use it.

Hi Gents,

I am the original owner of a Mitchell 782 Graphite Reel. It was the first Mooching Reel I ever bought to use chasing Salmon here in the Pacific Northwest. I loved it. I used it for only a couple seasons before my buddies (who all have boats) told me to leave my gear at home and use theirs. Of course I didn't want to say no, especially when their gear was Islander Reels on custom Sage Rods.

Another one of my buddies who bought a Hewes Sea Runner 201 HT a couple years back wants to go chasing some Pinks up Indian Arm in a few weeks as the first Salmon fishing from his boat, so I thought I'd take the 782 out from it's hibernation and get it ready for use. I know it's been a long sleep for this reel, but I just took it apart and it looks great.

However, the drag fiber washers (Part # C84809) were stuck to their corresponding brass washers (Part #s C84810 & C84806) after all these years, but nothing my fingernail couldn't pop loose. I can't find what Lube I should put on these washers so the drag will be smooth again - just like it was when it was new.

Will Super Lube work? Can I use it on the mechanism as well? Do you have any advice?

Thanks for the assist.

Superlube FTW!

330915437_MainImage_001_l.jpg

Hi Gents,

I am the original owner of a Mitchell 782 Graphite Reel. It was the first Mooching Reel I ever bought to use chasing Salmon here in the Pacific Northwest. I loved it. I used it for only a couple seasons before my buddies (who all have boats) told me to leave my gear at home and use theirs. Of course I didn't want to say no, especially when their gear was Islander Reels on custom Sage Rods.

Another one of my buddies who bought a Hewes Sea Runner 201 HT a couple years back wants to go chasing some Pinks up Indian Arm in a few weeks as the first Salmon fishing from his boat, so I thought I'd take the 782 out from it's hibernation and get it ready for use. I know it's been a long sleep for this reel, but I just took it apart and it looks great.

However, the drag fiber washers (Part # C84809) were stuck to their corresponding brass washers (Part #s C84810 & C84806) after all these years, but nothing my fingernail couldn't pop loose. I can't find what Lube I should put on these washers so the drag will be smooth again - just like it was when it was new.

Will Super Lube work? Can I use it on the mechanism as well? Do you have any advice?

Thanks for the assist.I have about 5 of those reels. Their biggest problem was the drag washers. They all stick to the bronze washers in the stack.
Hey Jim,
Hi Gents,

Thanks for the assist.
I have quite a few of those reels. The drag washer s all stick to the brass drag washers in the stack. Grease should work as a short term fix bit what makes them really smooth is carbon fibre drag washers. I did one and the drag is almost as smooth as an islander. I didn’t grease it with cals as I didn’t want it to Be too smooth and creep. Haven’t used it for 8 years. I do hAve cals drag grease and use it on all my other reels. I buy the drag washer material in a sheet and cut the washers myself. Not that hard, just use the old washer as a template. Just put all the washers together and measure thickness the devide by 3. I think I used 0.5mm thickness? I also have 1mm thickness.
https://downriggershop.com/products/carbontex-drag-washers
I buy off these guys and have used on Peetz, Shimano mooching reels, old Penn reels, old abu 6500 c3 reels Spinning reels.
I put them in a penn squidder from the 1960s that I bought used when I was 15. One sheet does a lot of washers. Instructions on how to make washers on this web sight also.
I still have quite a few of those reels. The yellow stripe ones are newer than the red stripe ones and have an upgraded anti reverse. One day maybe I will fix the drags and sell them.

Hey Jim,

I have quite a few of those reels. The drag washer s all stick to the brass drag washers in the stack. Grease should work as a short term fix bit what makes them really smooth is carbon fibre drag washers. I did one and the drag is almost as smooth as an islander. I didn’t grease it with cals as I didn’t want it to Be too smooth and creep. Haven’t used it for 8 years. I do hAve cals drag grease and use it on all my other reels. I buy the drag washer material in a sheet and cut the washers myself. Not that hard, just use the old washer as a template. Just put all the washers together and measure thickness the devide by 3. I think I used 0.5mm thickness? I also have 1mm thickness.
I buy off these guys and have used on Peetz, Shimano mooching reels, old Penn reels, old abu 6500 c3 reels Spinning reels.
I put them in a penn squidder from the 1960s that I bought used when I was 15. One sheet does a lot of washers. Instructions on how to make washers on this web sight also.
I still have quite a few of those reels. The yellow stripe ones are newer than the red stripe ones and have an upgraded anti reverse. One day maybe I will fix the drags and sell them.
@Wondermur & @Dogbreath Thanks for the info gents.

I'll see if my son can pick up some Super Lube today at work for me. I'm assuming it is suitable for the mechanical components as well as the drag washers.

Changing the washers to carbon fiber is something I never thought of. Food for thought. I have a long retired Wooden Peetz Reel around here that my Dad got way back in the 1960s or 70s. Maybe I should take a look at it too, but as I remember it was a real knuckle buster. I went looking and found the Peetz and a Shimano 4000GT Plus that's far more recent.

Looks like I've got a little project going tuning up this reels. Thanks again for the input Gents.

@Wondermur & @Dogbreath Thanks for the info gents.

I'll see if my son can pick up some Super Lube today at work for me. I'm assuming it is suitable for the mechanical components as well as the drag washers.

Changing the washers to carbon fiber is something I never thought of. Food for thought. I have a long retired Wooden Peetz Reel around here that my Dad got way back in the 1960s or 70s. Maybe I should take a look at it too, but as I remember it was a real knuckle buster. I went looking and found the Peetz and a Shimano 4000GT Plus that's far more recent.

Looks like I've got a little project going tuning up this reels. Thanks again for the input Gents.
Great. Put a greased carbon fibre washer under your Peetz brass washer that is on top of the spool, cut a smaller one to go under the spool between the brass spring washer and the clicker gear. Greased also with Cal’s drag grease or superlube if you don’t have it. You can take the old washers and put them under the spring washer to take the free play out of the drag so if you fiddle with thickness a bit you can get them to have a little drag when you have backed the drag off completely. Makes life a little easier on a tricky reel with 2 way drag.
I had mine changed over to one way drag by the Peetz factory.

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this… I don’t need any more tools but a few wad punches is pretty minimal…. Question, what’s the lifetime on carbon fibre drag washers? Would a guy perhaps replace them every 2-3 years with average recreational use or is this like a once per 10 year kinda job?

If they are in a stack with smooth surfaces to rub against they will last 10 years if greased and still be fine probably.

I replaced the top washer in a penn 330 that had got water in there and a bit of rust so the ht100 carbon fibre drag washer had shredded but the others were fine further down the stack.

You don’t need to buy any tools to make washers. I just use some spring paper clips to hold the old washer to the carbon fiber sheet material. Use a drill bit of the correct size to make the center hole. Then cut around the outside with scissors.

Back