Red vs White spring

I like both, but the oily fatty goodness of the whites right out of the water are the best. I'd be happy with either tomorrow though!:cool:

If you get a quality ocean caught white try it as sashimi.
Awesome flavor. More like Tuna.
My buddy is Japanese and he loved it.

My wife is Japanese her mom says the white is far superior as sashimi. I agree that whites are pretty good and excellent on the barbecue.

... I don't of anyone that prefers white over red spring.

Well... now you know one ;)
In fact, the majority of those I know who commercially troll for springs prefer the whites. Higher oil content, less "fishy" taste. I'll take a white over a red any day!!

Cheers!
Nog

Hands down white and marbled are my 2 most favorite. Either fresh on the BBQ or smoked.

When I smoke the white or marbled I alternate racks, White/red/white/red, that way all the oil from the white or marbled meat drips onto the red meat which is lacking the pure clean oil that comes from those white or marbled fish.

BTW, any salmon can taste fishy if not properly cared for when caught or if improperly stored or frozen. I remove all scales and slime previous to freezing, as I have found that can cause a slight fishy taste after being in the deep freeze for a couple months.

X3 way prefer whites even did a "taste" test on a person who said white was SHIAT got her to close her eyes gave her white smoked salmon said it was the best she ever had smooth and beautiful texture .... then she opened her eyesand couldnt believe it......

ill take a white 10 times over a red trust me i have LOL

Here is a pic of a fresh batch of a mixture of white, marbled and red. All the oily sheen came from the marbled and white, and when the batch comes out, the red meat is covered in the oil shared from it's white meat cousin........all of it is absolutely fabulous eating !!!

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by a moderator:
Match it up with a favorite beverage and some friends (lotsa friends). I just make sure I hide some for later, cause there is never a tiny scrap left on the plate after my friends are done..

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 284
I am in agreement with those preferring the white or marbled springs. I would take it any day over a red. Red of course is tops in visual appeal however... Just like beef. I much prefer grass fed beef however its my understanding that stores were not interested in grass fed beef in the past due to the yellowish appearance of the fat. Nowadays grass fed beef commands top price.

h.e.h.

grass fed beef is much better for you i get some at springford farms in nanoose ocassionaly also picked some bison up in black creek - awesome!!

The spring I caught on Sunday was red in the middle, but whitish near the belly and whitish near the top of the body. I gave most of it away so have not cooked it. Would this have been a white spring?

The spring I caught on Sunday was red in the middle, but whitish near the belly and whitish near the top of the body. I gave most of it away so have not cooked it. Would this have been a white spring?
I caught one like that last week. I've only ever caught one white spring and it was the best bbq salmon I've ever had. Most of the fish I caught this year were more orange than red though.

That would be marbled. Not quite red and not quite white. Red or white, its all good!

Match it up with a favorite beverage and some friends (lotsa friends). I just make sure I hide some for later, cause there is never a tiny scrap left on the plate after my friends are done..

It looks like you have everyone's interest in mind there Ted. Nice spread!!! Oh yeah the fish looks good too ha ha :D.

I can remember working at a fish plant in Ukee back in 1991. I was hired to grade troll caught salmon and the general price difference between reds and whites was somewhat hard to swallow for the fleet. They were offered 80 cents a pound for large whites and $3.50 for large reds. They refused to go out until they were offered a better price for whites. After a week the buyers relented and both settled at $1.20. That year was the beginning of the end for the commercial troll fleet's market because the fish farming industry apparently went nuts. The Norwegians were providing the Jewish community with fresh farmed fish at a time of year when BC stocks were unavailable. So they flooded the market which drove demand for "whitish" fleshed salmon down and prices plummeted. Prior to this year whites were not graded out at offloading unless by special agreement between fisher and buyer, most were graded later at the processors.

I gotta say it was NOT a pleasant experience for ME. My boss told me that ANY spring that was not RED was to be considered a white. You can bet that EVERYONE was looking over my shoulder and numerous arguments ensued. All the marbles and every shade of pink had to be sorted as a white. I'd just point to the guy in the shack whenever some skipper started freaking out, :) The boss would come out and the fun started, meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid the abuse. It was quite common to see the largest fish in the catch being snowballs and you can just imagine what it would be worth had it been red.

I can remember working at a fish plant in Ukee back in 1991. I was hired to grade troll caught salmon and the general price difference between reds and whites was somewhat hard to swallow for the fleet. They were offered 80 cents a pound for large whites and $3.50 for large reds. They refused to go out until they were offered a better price for whites. After a week the buyers relented and both settled at $1.20. That year was the beginning of the end for the commercial troll fleet's market because the fish farming industry apparently went nuts. The Norwegians were providing the Jewish community with fresh farmed fish at a time of year when BC stocks were unavailable. So they flooded the market which drove demand for "whitish" fleshed salmon down and prices plummeted. Prior to this year whites were not graded out at offloading unless by special agreement between fisher and buyer, most were graded later at the processors.

I gotta say it was NOT a pleasant experience for ME. My boss told me that ANY spring that was not RED was to be considered a white. You can bet that EVERYONE was looking over my shoulder and numerous arguments ensued. All the marbles and every shade of pink had to be sorted as a white. I'd just point to the guy in the shack whenever some skipper started freaking out, :) The boss would come out and the fun started, meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid the abuse. It was quite common to see the largest fish in the catch being snowballs and you can just imagine what it would be worth had it been red.
We used to sell our fish in Ukee in '91 and I remember this kind of thing happening at the fish buyers alot. And your absolutely right about the largest fish in the hold being a "white". More often than not,this was the case,and my
skipper would just blow a gasket when I'd just finished cleaning a 40+ lb. hog,and informed him it was a "whitey".

Nothing tops a hot smoked white spring.. eaten right out of the smoker.

I prefer the smoked white spring above sockeye, or coho.

The whites make great Sashimi and Sushi. I love the fatty milder flavour which reminds me of Toro (expensive fatty tuna). Both the reds and the whites are great fish to eat and having a little variety available is a good thing.

Back