Recommendation for simple fishfinder / sounder.

Aridhol

Along with everything else it seems my finder has kicked the bucket. I'm now in the market for a simple dedicated finder on a budget and I'd like everyone's recommdations or first hand experience.

I fish out of Sooke 99.9% of the time for salmon but on rare occasions out of esquimalt.
I only have a little 14.5ft sangster and this finder would be replacing a 15 year old portable hummingbird :) so I don't need a giant screen.
Color would be nice but priority would be performance in identifying fish and reliability.

I use a mounted 10" tablet with navionics for navigation so I don't need gps at all.

Finally, I don't care if something is new so if there's a recommendation for something a little older I've got no issues with used (makes the dollar go farther!).

I use Humminbird pmax 160 on my kayak. Decent sounder. Mine is a few years old now, but only around a $100 then. Probably the replacement will be better and still less than a $100.

If I were you, I would look on craigslist or see if anyone is selling one on this Forum.
You do need one, if you are fishing in the Sooke area.

If I were you, I would look on craigslist or see if anyone is selling one on this Forum.
You do need one, if you are fishing in the Sooke area.

I am keeping my eye out for exactly that. Someone upgrading and I can get the castoff's :)
The only problem I'm having is how to tell what's worth picking up so I posted for recommendations.

Pinball, that's pretty much the limit of my budget at the moment but I'm thinking about it...

I'll check out that humminbird Califbill, that'd be well under my budget.

would it be worth my while to make sure I get something with Chirp?

I'm a fan of buying new when it comes to sounders. There are just too many things that can go wrong, especially with the transducers. I just bought the lowrance elite 4 from crappy tire although I might switch that out for the one mentioned above.

Aridhol not sure where you are but i have a hummingbird 560 sonar , it is not colour but pretty decent finder for 60$ retails for close to 300, i am in Nanaimo, comes with power cabl & transducer
8c39fdc5cec2b147a81ddf9b13615683.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an older Lowrance. Not colour. No transducer however. You can have it. Just taking up space. If interested PM me and I will get more details for you.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've decide to bite the bullet and get a Lowrance elite 4x as it has a $50 rebate and comes in under budget :)
Unless anyone believes this is a terrible idea I'll be ordering Monday.

Just do us a favour and don't buy used sounder "head unit only" off Craigslist or similar, because there's a good chance it's stolen.

After a couple of thoroughly dissapointing experiences at westmarine and island outfitters I'm Thinking I'll hold out for a forum member here upgrading or some great sales (sorry pinball90 looks like my actual budget is in the 200-250 range :/)

I'm a big fan of Navionics but after a month I have to give a resounding thumbs down to the Sonar Phone sp200. I have mine mounted on the stern of my Boston Whaler and it is consistently not working properly. Thermometer has never worked and after very little light use the transducer has also stopped working.

I'm a big fan of Navionics but after a month I have to give a resounding thumbs down to the Sonar Phone sp200. I have mine mounted on the stern of my Boston Whaler and it is consistently not working properly. Thermometer has never worked and after very little light use the transducer has also stopped working.

Thanks for the feedback, the max depth unfortunately kills this option for me but I had a buddy at cowichan asking me about it and I'll pass on this feedback.

Right now it's down to the Lowrance Elite 4x and the Raymarine Dragonfly 4 DV.

Garmin's are super simple easy to use if that is what you're looking for... Look for used since your price range is fairly low.

Back