Re-pitch a prop?

Clipper

I'm wondering if anyone has had a prop re-pitched in lieu of buying a new one? I've got a Yamaha painted ss, 19" pitch on my F150 and it's just a little too much. I get around 5500 rpm at wot with a normal load and a little less with a big load in the boat so it needs a 17" pitch to bring the rpm's up to 5900-6000 rpm (max).

A new ss prop will run $600-700 but I can get it re-pitched for $150 which sounds like a good deal to me. I don't need a spare prop as I carried one in both my last boats and never used.

There are a couple of 'prop shops' in CR but I have no experience with either one. Any recommendations?

i just did a search on this forum and thur is lotsa info

For the cost of a re-pitch you could get yourself another propeller.

Back when I ran Yamaha, I purchased a 17P SS for my Yammaha F150 for the price you're being quoted to re-pitch

It was an OEM Yamaha prop, pretty much pristine. I now have a Honda BF150 --- two months ago I bought two (2) OEM Honda 18P Aluminum props---delivered to my door for $150 for the pair of them

It's all about being patient, knowing the exact spec and make of what you want, then checking both CL and eBay every few days

I just took a one minute peak on eBay.

This is the exact prop I ran on my Yam F150--if you have a 19-22 ft boat, it should get you the 5,600 - 6,000 RPM's at WOT you're looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-OUTB..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item256d8abce9

If you put paint on it, it would turn like a new one and then you'd have a spare.

The money you save ---buy your wife or GF a dozen roses then bank the rest for gasoline this summer--you'll need the extra money you just saved just to spin that prop in a few months

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input guys. I did a bunch of research on this and now I'm not sure it's the way to go. As usual, there are a million opinions out there, half yes and half no so I'm gonna give it more thought. Too bad props are so spendy!

I use the guy across from Advanced Marine, he is good. If you don't run to far from home and are willing to putt back on your kicker I can see not carrying a spare prop.
But it only takes once and the cost of a spare is relatively cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to buy a new one and keep the old as a spare. Found one on ebay from the US that is exactly what I want (brand new in box) for about half the price of buying one here, including shipping so ......

Back