GW 228 Yamaha 225 Prop

bentley

Hey Guys,

I've got a GW 228 with a 2007 225 Yamaha. Just looking to see what everybody else is running for prop's?
I've currently got a 17p prop on it but, not happy with the RPMs. I'm getting 20knts at about 5000rpms
Thinking I might need a bit more pitch ? WOT is 6000 rpm
Suggestions ?

Thanks,

Hey Guys,

I've got a GW 228 with a 2007 225 Yamaha. Just looking to see what everybody else is running for prop's?
I've currently got a 17p prop on it but, not happy with the RPMs. I'm getting 20knts at about 5000rpms
Thinking I might need a bit more pitch ? WOT is 6000 rpm
Suggestions ?

Thanks,
What year is your 228?
Im running a 17 pitch on my 1997 228 with a F225 yamaha, its perfect. Trimmed up with a light load i can hit 6000. Cruise at 26 mph, around 4200 rpm depending on conditions.

That being said...when i got the boat it had a 15 pitch and while it came out of the hole great it cruised around at 4800-5000 rpm. I did find my motor was mounted as low as it could be. I brought it up 3 holes and it completely changed the boat.

I would check your motor height first, that 17 should be perfect. Its also the prop that it would come from the factory with.

Hey @bentley Have you tried using a prop calculator? Lots of them online.
If this is a 4 stroke f225 with a 2:1 gear ratio you should be getting a lot more speed. Like 30 knots at 5000rpm with 17” pitch.
Something doesn’t add up.
Questions:
- Is this an F225? 2:1 gear ratio.
- do you have a stainless prop or an aluminum prop? For a boat this heavy you likely need a stainless prop, aluminum can flex pushing this much boat and you lose pitch/speed.
What brand of prop is it and what width is it, how many blades?
- measured speed by gps or boats Speedo?
- could your 17” prop have been re-pitched and actually be a lower pitch.

Like @doug78 said a 17” pitch ss prop should be perfect for your boat with an f225.

Last edited:
I run 15.5"x 17"Pitch props on my twin F200 powered Grady white 270 islander. they wind out to 6000rpm doing 46mph
let me know if you sell your old prop, id be interested in a spare

is engine running well? good compression?

Sounds good.
Higher gear ratio of 1.85:1 on Verado so that’s equivalent to running 16.2” pitch on a f225
16 pitch would be the best of both worlds. I kept my 15 for a spare or if I ever running super heavy for a while. A 16 pitch would probably be better. Lots of guys have had good luck with a 15/16 pitch 4 blades on these boats.

He has the right pitch, i worry that he has other issues.

What year is your 228?
Im running a 17 pitch on my 1997 228 with a F225 yamaha, its perfect. Trimmed up with a light load i can hit 6000. Cruise at 26 mph, around 4200 rpm depending on conditions.

That being said...when i got the boat it had a 15 pitch and while it came out of the hole great it cruised around at 4800-5000 rpm. I did find my motor was mounted as low as it could be. I brought it up 3 holes and it completely changed the boat.

I would check your motor height first, that 17 should be perfect. Its also the prop that it would come from the factory with.
The boat is a 2001, I’ll check
he motor height, but I’m pretty sure the cavitation plate is level worth the hull. The other thing I need to check is the tach as before the 4-stroke on it now, there was a 2-stroke, so There may need to be some calibration done

Hey @bentley Have you tried using a prop calculator? Lots of them online.
If this is a 4 stroke f225 with a 2:1 gear ratio you should be getting a lot more speed. Like 30 knots at 5000rpm with 17” pitch.
Something doesn’t add up.
Questions:
- Is this an F225? 2:1 gear ratio.
- do you have a stainless prop or an aluminum prop? For a boat this heavy you likely need a stainless prop, aluminum can flex pushing this much boat and you lose pitch/speed.
What brand of prop is it and what width is it, how many blades?
- measured speed by gps or boats Speedo?
- could your 17” prop have been re-pitched and actually be a lower pitch.

Like @doug78 said a 17” pitch ss prop should be perfect for your boat with an f225.
Yes it’s a four stroke, with a stainless steel prop. I measured the speed using the GPS
I hadn’t heard of Prop calculators yet, but I looked into one tried it and it came out as a 17 pitch prop so, I’ll keep digging

I run 15.5"x 17"Pitch props on my twin F200 powered Grady white 270 islander. they wind out to 6000rpm doing 46mph
let me know if you sell your old prop, id be interested in a spare

is engine running well? good compression?
Yep engines running great good compression if it’s the wrong prop I’ll let you know

The boat is a 2001, I’ll check
he motor height, but I’m pretty sure the cavitation plate is level worth the hull. The other thing I need to check is the tach as before the 4-stroke on it now, there was a 2-stroke, so There may need to be some calibration done
Anti cavitation plate should be 1" above the bottom for every 12" of setback. mine was mounted as low as possible when i got it I moved it up two holes from there and everything changed. Check it before buying any props.

Grab a picture of the mounting height (at the bolts).

Back