Raymarine vs Lowrance

Gary Popein

My son and I moved out here a few years ago from the prairies. We decided to go into a partnership on a 2006 17.5' Double Eagle. The boat was in excellent condition so we decided to gear up with good equipment. The latest decision is a replacement chart plotter for our aging Garmin.

I am looking at the Lowrance HDS 7 and the Raymarine Axiom 7 3d. Pricing, connectivity, features would seem to favour the Raymarine. I also hear that the Raymarine 's customer service is top notch. The Lowrance unit is very popular with a rock solid reputation.

So if it was your boat which would you buy?

My son and I moved out here a few years ago from the prairies. We decided to go into a partnership on a 2006 17.5' Double Eagle. The boat was in excellent condition so we decided to gear up with good equipment. The latest decision is a replacement chart plotter for our aging Garmin.

I am looking at the Lowrance HDS 7 and the Raymarine Axiom 7 3d. Pricing, connectivity, features would seem to favour the Raymarine. I also hear that the Raymarine 's customer service is top notch. The Lowrance unit is very popular with a rock solid reputation.

So if it was your boat which would you buy?
I had horrible customer service from Raymarine when my unit had issues. Switched to Lowrance and will never go back because of Raymarines aftermarket service. Others may have had better experience, I just know I didn’t.

The guy I buy from (semperfi on www.thehulltruth.com) says he has had too many defective products with ray marine. I have heard nothing but negative on Lowrance service.

I'd probably go Garmin as their charts for our area are great & everything except Furuno seems similar in price.

I have 2 of the HDS 7's in my 24 Monaro. Use one for the GPS, and the other for the sounder. May not be the most practical method, but they sure do work well. If and when it comes time to replace and update, I will be going right back to Lowrance again.

i also have two hds a 7 and 9 and use the 9 for just radar out in bamfield when foggy

Simrad, Lowrance, B&G are all Navico so user interface is all much pretty similar ...
Garmin is easy to use
raymarine furuno are really pro items ....
hummingbird are slowly making an inroad on the chuck as well...

it's really what suits you best.
go play at the boat show's to see what works for you...
most common is Lowrance
so its just like scotties or cannon's, big jon's, penn's downriggers.....lol

Thanks for the input. I have learned a lot about chart plotters since my post. Harbour Chandler has helped me make up my mind with Pirate Days pricing. Going to pull the trigger on the Lowrance HDS 7 Live. C u out there!

Back