Raymarine Axiom with RV-100 trasducer (vs. P66?)

MiddlepointBight

Curious what everyone's experience is with Raymarine Axiom - trasducer pairings. Seems like most people either use a RV-100 or P66.

I am running an RV-100, and it's outstanding most of the time, but certain fishing spots/features have consistent loss of depth and bottom (specifically, this happens all the time at Upwood to Anderson Bay, SE Texada). Could be just the steep bathymetry at that zone, but never had an issue with older, lower tech setups at the same location.

To be honest, I don't use the RealVision3D option very much (sometimes just for fun to visualize where things are), so I am curious if folks have better performance with the P66. From what I can tell, the RV-100 out-performs the P66 in shallow water (<100'), whereas the P66 seems to hold bottom at deep/complex features better.

Thanks for the thoughts!

The Raymaine specs quote frequency of the rv100 as "high frequency CHIRP" versus stating the actual frequency used. Other mfgr's of these types of ducers use 450-800 Khz frequency. Great for high resolution at shallow depths like painting a 3D sunken tree in a 30' deep lake while Bass fish'n. I believe the P66 to be a dual frequency 50/200 Khz ducer. In general, the lower the frequency the deeper the penetration.
Your assessment appears accurate.
The Axiom looks like it support 600 Watt traditional SONAR. Traditional COULD mean it supports non-scanning CHIRP, which would be your best option IMO using a medium frequency CHIRP ducer.

I have an Axiom 7 and use the RV 100 transducer that it came with.
According to Raymaine you should be using the 200 KHz high frequency in up to 200’ of fresh water and then switch to 50 KHz low frequency when on deeper water.On their website it’s says you can run split screen and view both at the same time but I’ve yet to figure out how that works.

Back