raw water washdown

After running into some weeds with my wash-down pump on on the weekend the intake is plugged. When I got to the ramp before I took the boat out I took the intake hose off (the filter is clear of weeds) blew into it and almost cleared the obstruction but as soon as I turned the pump back on it plugged again. I think the plug is in the thru - hull fitting as the intake hose is pretty much a clear hose and I can's see any obstruction. Would I do any damage to the thru - hull fitting trying so ream out the fitting with a coat hanger or plumbers snake or ???. i am not sure if there is any sort of valve in there or what.
Thanks
Don

Could run some plastic weed wacker line up the pipe the attach to a drill and give it a spin on low speed then put some air thru to blow it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blow it out with compressed air or a hose with water. I only put sea cocks as a thru hull fitting so they can be closed which means there is a gate valve in those. Damage could occur if you pounded on those. Pretty sure compressed air from inside the boat out through the sea **** or thru-hull should do the trick.

Take a bucket of water and put your intake hose into it, turn on the pump. If the washdown works the stoppage is in the seacock or intake. Quality seacocks are easily taken apart, but if you have one that cannot be dissassembled, put it in the open position and use either waterpressure or air to blow it out.

Back