Ramp Fail

First time for his boat going in the ocean. Obviously a new "to him" launch. I agree with you TenMile, he was a little fast alright. Probably be a little more cautious next time I'm thinking.

Good reason to make sure to release the boat from the trailer first as well - the news story said once the boat hit "flotation", it lifted the trailer and back wheels of truck off the ramp.

The boat was still secured to the trailer and he had no 'Whoa!'. Another good reason for a little extra tongue length on the trailer - it's often helpful for difficult launches. (Not that that one was).

Those people are the same ones that because they don't do their pre-launch at the top of the ramp, screw up everbody else behind them.

Wish we had access to video phones when the Vancouver Sun Salmon Derby was held at Horseshoe Bay. Not uncommon to see boats launched 50 feet from the water because all the tie downs were removed, plugs not in boats and boats still tied to the trailers when being launched. The "backing down the launch ramp"show was hilarious. Oh, for the good old days.

It take two seconds for ****** things to happen on ramp. Its always funny when its not you...

The problem is people get excited skip a step or something mechanical breaks. Last week I was at a launch I know very well out at Cheanuh... Launched out there for years. I tend to get very close on one side when I get back so I can walk my boat on trailer. I guess the ramp has a small piece if metal sticking out and I blew a brand new tire... I had no idea it was even there but know now...

When I blew my tire I always laugh how I told you so/knobs what you did that crowd come up. Difference though with me as I changed the tire with everything in a couple of minutes..I carry everything I need tools etc for these breakdowns. It really wasn't that big of issue.

This same ramp had a brand new truck that went under water few years ago. That one didn't look funny ... I also personally witnessed about 3 to 4 boats come off the trailer. One of the ones that bugged me the most were the clowns yelling at this guy with a brand new double eagle. He unhooked safety chain at top ( who knows why) and it slid off when he launched. Instead of offering to help get boat on these guys waiting just mocked the guys as we tried to get the boat back on the boat...

I am not saying there aren't dummies at a each launch ramp but there are lot off accidents and one of you will be a victim of it at some point... My theory has always been it is bad karma to laugh...

As for avoiding I like this idea of having blocks with a rope on mirror when launching

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/improvements.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some good reading there SV. Thanks for the link to leeroys ramblings. Quite a bit of really good info there.

That's some good reading there SV. Thanks for the link to leeroys ramblings. Quite a bit of really good info there.

Yeah some of that stuff is pretty cool... Like I said I really like the idea of those blocks he made, and that rope he had pre-tied side of boat especially when boating alone..

I've always been a bit paranoid on the ramp so my procedure is
1. transom straps removed and all other prep done in parking lot, safety chain stays on
2. reverse down ramp until hitch is at water's edge. Unplug trailer electrical connection. De-tension winch strap, safety chain stays on
3. back in until water is just at top of trailer fenders, boat will float free
4. unhook safety chain, pull trailer forward
If it's a ramp I'm familiar with that has a moderate angle, I'll remove the safety chain and winch strap at the water's edge too. I've seen the odd boat dumped onto the concrete on steep ramps, but never the opposite. Surely you'd be waaay too far back if the truck rear end floated off??

Yeah some of that stuff is pretty cool... Like I said I really like the idea of those blocks he made, and that rope he had pre-tied side of boat especially when boating alone..

Found that site a while back as well.I really liked the stainless serrated folding knife zip tied to the end of a boat hook
idea for cutting yourself free from an anchor line wrapped around your prop.Liked it so much I found a decent gerber
lockblade on Amazon.ca and did it myself.Some good tips on there for sure!

Back