Ramp etiquette

scott craven

Just need your input on this incident i had to tonight...

I regularly launch at Cattle point, rule of thumb is " one in, one out"
I pull up to the ramp parking lot, undo my tie downs and get ready to back into the water
There's a guy coming in 400 yards off shore and he starts waving me off.
I proceed to launch the boat and park the truck, and walk back.
Buddy meets me 1/2 way up the ramp and he is pissed.
Starts yelling and swearing at me saying he had the right because he was "on approach"
I told him I was on the ramp, ready to launch while he was still out in the water.
This guy then threatened to punch my head in, and if he ever saw me again he would finish
it off.
I was so rattled by this guy i called the cops, but unfortunately i didn't get his license number.

Is there something i'm missing here, I've been launching there for over 15 years
and never seen anything like this...

I used to launch there often as well, so know the routine...

there are 2 things I see with your story:
1) you did the right thing, no problem there
2) ok... maybe the guy could have questioned you if he wasn't in the know, but for him to react like that, proves he is a total dips*it with many other issues in his life.

And he had nobody there to help load his boat?...no truck anywhere?...Sounds like a good excuse for a fish bonker to me...
Threats a threat...seems as tho there are bullies and asswipes all over.
For what it's worth...if you see him again...get a plate # and call the local detachment and continue the file ....they will still have it on record

Hey Craven
I've launched at the Cattle Point ramp for over 40 years....often a bit of a zoo with people who don't know what they are doing, or launching, then running staight over to the gap at high tide, hitting the rocks....as far as your story goes, it's all about interpretation and timing....I am sure the other guy saw it differently...no need for him to spout off and no need for you to call the cops!
What I would like to know is if you or he had any fish or halibut?

Hey Craven
I've launched at the Cattle Point ramp for over 40 years....often a bit of a zoo with people who don't know what they are doing, or launching, then running staight over to the gap at high tide, hitting the rocks....as far as your story goes, it's all about interpretation and timing....I am sure the other guy saw it differently...no need for him to spout off and no need for you to call the cops!
What I would like to know is if you or he had any fish or halibut?

Seriously man?

Of course there is two sides to every story and one can never forget that.

RS, I would have called the cops too. It's not worth handling your own way. As MWS says a threat is a threat

same crap here at Comox. You have to go 1in 1out if it is busy. If not you can be there for hours while boat after boat coming out of the water plugs the 1 dock we have. I do not see anything wrong with what you did. The ramps are getting so busy now I am starting to not go some times because of the hassle.

"no need for him to spout off and no need for you to call the cops!"

Interesting you take it so lightly, maybe if it was you that was threatened
you would have a different attitude.

aw come on......can't you stand on your own two feet....just what do you think the cops are going to do. His story....your story....and to post this BS is way over the top......No...I was not threatened and never have been at the Cattle Point ramp, even though many times I could have been pissed off at the way some people act. The other guy was very well someone I know...will let you know if I hear from him...or better yet, maybe he would like to post...I'll bet his story is different than yours....enough...Craven....say and feel what you like....I'll stick to fishing and fighting fish farms.

Cattle is a tough launch to have a clear and obvious priority. By this I mean there is no dock for incoming boats to tie off to in order to establish their "turn in line". The way I see it though, the guy looking to head out for an afternoon fish should have priority over guy headed home.

I wouldn't let it bother you Craven. One day that ramp is gonna be renamed after you. ;)

aw come on......can't you stand on your own two feet....just what do you think the cops are going to do. His story....your story....and to post this BS is way over the top......No...I was not threatened and never have been at the Cattle Point ramp, even though many times I could have been pissed off at the way some people act. The other guy was very well someone I know...will let you know if I hear from him...or better yet, maybe he would like to post...I'll bet his story is different than yours....enough...Craven....say and feel what you like....I'll stick to fishing and fighting fish farms.

You're my hero !;)

Craven, sounds like the guy was a jerk. Don't let anyone blow the wind out of you sails. I give you credit for posting this. Given your history on this site, I find it hard to believe you did anything but the right thing in terms of launch etiquette. Sounds like Fogged In may be your guy. You were right to call the cops. Your only error is not taking a photo of the jerk and passing it to the authorities.

AS far as "stand on your own two feet "mentality,if your a tough guy like the author of that statement,and you use your bonker to even the score,you might find yourself on the otherside of the law,and depending on the out come,spending $$$on a lawyer to get you off!Let the cops deal with the "hothead",a threat is a threat,you did the right thing!Just my opinion.

craven your right, that guys a tool!! hey foggy like to see what you would do in cravens shoes. I have my guess

Gaff to the leg Scott , always a winner! Seriously Cattle Point attracts a lot of wingnuts. You did the right thing Scott.

beemer

There are many ways people choose to express their stupidity, especially at a boat ramp. Some people hit rocks, some hog the water side, some hog the pavement, few can share, some can't back up/drive to save their life and some talk **** to make themselves feel tough. I like to think the ocean or the highway will someday help with natural selection as it runs it course.

Where is Darwin when you really need him?

Like when the six families on Saturday at 1130 who took up the boat ramp with all their crap to go camping without even thinking of loading their boats with camping gear in the parking lot or at home, or even walking faster or apologizing for their stupidity.......I did not even swear, swing a club or gaff. It was an excercise in self control.

What ever happend to wait your turn...help the ones that need it...explain the way things should be done...take a big breath with the cityiots...you think you have problems on the coast....come to my play ground...you have nothing to compare with the stupid people at boat launches on okanagan lake.

Sorry...if I unload/load my boat and did nothing wrong and someone gets in my face...there problem...not mine..as I said...a threat is a threat.

I agree with most on this. There is no place for threats. The guy obviously has anger issues, or maybe he had a ****** day? It's okay to have disagreements with people, but once you threaten them, you've crossed the line.

Not taking sides but im thinking boat on approach to ramp versus boat at ramp ready to launch,the boat on the water,the approach might be more sensible to get that boat out of the water first. Boat or boats creating a jam on the water waiting to come in??? I dont know what the rule is,even if there is one. He probably made up his own rule and got skunked ie pissed off at u Just b cautious when u leave your truck unattended at ramp next time. I would be nervous

Amazing that this stuff even happens.

I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing........if you get that worked up about who gets in or out first at the ramp, you really need to reevaluate your reason to fish and maybe take up golf or better yet, knitting by yourself....and use mail order to order your stuff because heaven forbid, someone beats you to your fav colour of yarn......

People need to take a step back and look at their life. If who gets to use the ramp first makes you that angry, I cannot imagine what the rest of your life is like.

RS Craven, you did the right thing reporting people like this.

Cheers

SS

Back