Ramp etiquette

Amazing that this stuff even happens.

I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing........if you get that worked up about who gets in or out first at the ramp, you really need to reevaluate your reason to fish and maybe take up golf or better yet, knitting by yourself....and use mail order to order your stuff because heaven forbid, someone beats you to your fav colour of yarn......

People need to take a step back and look at their life. If who gets to use the ramp first makes you that angry, I cannot imagine what the rest of your life is like.

RS Craven, you did the right thing reporting people like this.

Cheers

SS

Great post Ken. I fully agree with you. Life is short and we are supposed to be here to enjoy it.

Cheers,
John

If you have nothing to do, get a lawn chair a video camera, some popcorn, refreshments, and head down to the boat launch. Makes for a very entertaining afternoon in my books.

There is a fine line between "etiquette' and "idiocy".

"Etiquette" is observed by those who know what the word means.

Unfortunately, many ramp-goers don't know what the word means......and even if they did, will not adhere to it and instead prefer to remain in the realm of "idiocy".

Translate that as :- " I'm here now and I couldn't care less about anybody else. I'm just going to do my own thing and I'm going to take as long as I can to do it because I have a right to be a total pain-in-the -butt and the more it pisses you off the happier I am".

I've never seen a 'wave-off' from a boat that 's 1200 ft offshore and approaching. (400 yards?)
And I wouldn't honor it if there was.

If you're that far out , you're not at the ramp.

This was just a case of alpha-dog "bully" tactics.

But while I'm on a rant:-

HEY YOU WEEKENDERS!!!........The ramp is a place to launch a boat in or out of the water. THE RAMP IS NOT THE PLACE WHERE YOU PARK YOUR BOAT HALFWAY UP AND PROCEED TO LOAD/UNLOAD THE ENTIRE CONTENTS AND RIG/DE-RIG DOWNRIGGERS,FISHING TACKLE,FOOD HAMPERS,BATTERIES AND/OR WAIT FOR YOUR SISTER'S MOTHER-IN-LAW TO GET HER FAT BUTT DOWN FROM THE CAR PARKED 1/2 A MILE AWAY UP ON THE HIGHWAY.

When a boat passes you in a no wake zone, blasts through a second no wake zone arips through the harbor zone of 15km at around 35km, heads to the pay to park and launch takes the center of the dock to unload his paying customers in front of a sign reading that the above mentioned action is illegal, comes back to make sure you don't scratch his mighty pretty merc motor, not offering to give you room to dock so you can get your trailer, turns back to picture taking with his customers, gets upset when you ask him if he was going to take pics al effin day or load his boat, he gets upset at you and call you an effin Albertan and threatens to throw you in the water. What would anyone here do about that? I turned my back on him and went to get my truck and trailer. He was gone when I got back. My friends did offer him a couple of freebies but he graciously declined.

HHHMMM was that a proline boat by chance?? just curious???

This happened in Prince Rupert. I had my truck keyed twice after that and he tried intimidating me on the fishing grounds by trying to drive me off my tack but he changed his mind when I headed straight to him.

HHHMMM was that a proline boat by chance?? just curious???

but he changed his mind when I headed straight to him.

Aluminum Vs. Fiberglass...when bumping noses there's one clear winner. Just park your Bow ontop of one of his $20k outboards.....

OR GUNSMITH --just add a Turret to that TANK of yours... or a roof mounted Barrett .50 :) haha that'd be sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Barrett .50 it has a lot of authority, I do have an anchor on the bow that would open up that merc hood like an oyster.
My boat does ride pretty high on the water even when loaded which puts the anchor right in his window, maybe that was the picture he got.

Aluminum Vs. Fiberglass...when bumping noses there's one clear winner. Just park your Bow ontop of one of his $20k outboards.....

OR GUNSMITH --just add a Turret to that TANK of yours... or a roof mounted Barrett .50 :) haha that'd be sweet.

Hey R.S.C---

funny you should post this--I was on the opposite side of what you described just this morning.

Here was the deal:

1)) minus tide, very little room at the dock
2)) people putting in on the take out side, people taking out on the put-in side....whatever
3)) The one open dock (with no boats tied up) sure looked inviting--- I started heading over there.
4)) Just then a truck starts backing down the ramp, clearly going to the open side i wanted
5)) OK, change of plans; I'm easy-peasy. I change course back to the dock that already had a boat tied up but there was just enough room for me to squeak in.
6)) So I tie up and...
7)) WTF---just as I start heading for my rig the truck and trailer about ready to launch goes back up to the top of the ramp, straightens out, then starts backing down the ramp on my side, right on top of me...
8)) Like I said, minus, tide, ZERO room for another boat
9)) He stops about 10 feet short of the water, gets out of his truck and starts fiddling with his tie-downs
10)) Hey, I says, what's up with that? The dock right next to us is wide open and there's already two boats tied to this one---there's no freaking room sez I
11)) I can't use that one, sez he, not making eye contact

I'm normally not the type that amps things up. I've got two dead springs in my boat, I had a good morning on the water, but this guy typifies part of the reason that I launch and retrieve at O'dark thirty, hoping I'll avoid his type

So it's all grumble grumble grumble---f'you, f'you, f'you etc He finally sez---- OK, OK, I'll launch at THAT f'ing dock if it means so much to you...

The point was, if he'd backed down he would have plowed into the bow of my freaking boat---that's where the rubber met the road on that deal, but I've already learned---- Launch ramps are an amazing microcosm of human behavior alot of it really stupid or in-your-face rude---great place to bring popcorn to and just watch.

I don't have to post and ask who was right and who was wrong--but maybe a guy like him thought he had good reason to debate the issue.

I don't like launching and retrieving to my port side-----my kicker sticks way out. Maybe he didn't either. Who knows...

Unless I absolutely have to, I steer clear of boat launches during normal business hours precisely because of guys like him (the clue was his license plate..."WHY DO I FISH? WHAT A STUPID QUESTION!"

I usually have the miners light when I launch at O-dark-thirty: I do that just to avoid those types, not necessarily to get the jump on the fish.

Keeps my blood pressure normal....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always under the impression that you launch on the drivers side of your truck and retrieve on the drivers side of your boat. So when your are backing down the ramp you have a nice view of the dock in your side view mirror, and when you come back to the dock you come in on the drivers side of the boat again so you have a clear view of the dock. On a side note to launching in the early morning is to turn off your headlights so you don't blind the guy beside you backing down the ramp and into the front of your truck.
Craven I wasn't there but I would think the guy would come in and jump off while his buddy backs out and you then launch, and then he backs in to pick up his boat while you circle round and pick up your buddy after he parks the truck. I know that, that ramp is a bit of a gong show at the best of times but there is no need to threaten anybody, I think that you did the right thing also.

I've seen all kinds of weird and wonderful things at Cattle point,
some of which are,

1.launching without the drain plug ( most common.)

2.trying to load a trailer that is completely submerged.

3.overloading the boat.

4.trying to start the engine with the kill switch engaged

5.trying to fix motor issues after the boat is launched.

6.inability to back the trailer down to the boat.

One day we saw a guy in a new 19' CC Grady unable to start his engine.
as we tried to help, he asked why there was so much water shooting out
the side ? Good thing it had an auto bilge pump.

things we shake our heads over, but put up with.
until last night i haven't seen anyone totally lose it because i backed down
the ramp before he got in.
the guy was screaming at me from the water to get my trailer out of the way ???

Kinda brings a tear to your eye don't it? Such friendship and cameraderie that you can find no where else.

I've seen all kinds of weird and wonderful things at Cattle point,
some of which are,

1.launching without the drain plug ( most common.)

2.trying to load a trailer that is completely submerged.

3.overloading the boat.

4.trying to start the engine with the kill switch engaged

5.trying to fix motor issues after the boat is launched.

6.inability to back the trailer down to the boat.

One day we saw a guy in a new 19' CC Grady unable to start his engine.
as we tried to help, he asked why there was so much water shooting out
the side ? Good thing it had an auto bilge pump.

things we shake our heads over, but put up with.
until last night i haven't seen anyone totally lose it because i backed down
the ramp before he got in.
the guy was screaming at me from the water to get my trailer out of the way ???

Craven you definitely handled things the right way. I hate boat launches (well not the launches actually, mostly the people that use them). About 4 years ago I made the mistake of launching at Tulista in Sidney on a busy Saturday. I was out early but when I returned they were stacked up with about 4 boats idling and 4 or 5 trying to launch. No problem, I just sat out there with some of the other boats and compared stories until it was our turn. Next thing you now, some young kid (early twenties) in a speed boat with his girlfriend pulls in, and motors past everyone waiting to the one empty spot on the launch. The girl was smarter than him judging by the dismayed look on her face. He was too cocky and just wanted to show off. Since then I also favour the miner's light and the O'dark thirty launch.

Wasn't being cocky rs just a little dry humor. Gunny.

Thats why I moor my boat any did when it was a small one too way less hassle for the cost of it trailering is a pain in the arse.....

What about leaving Sooke Harbour etiquette, I thought the rule was keep to the right when coming in and out of the harbour as there seem to be a lot of boaters coming around the spit pretty fast, only time before there is going to be a collision

Back