Mistakes

Roberth

Crew Member
Yesterday at Esquimalt Anglers noticed when we got to the ramp to leave that the boat ahead of us had the bilge pump running water out of the boat. For 5 minutes and then 10 minutes which had me scratching my head at the amount of water being pumped out. Then the guy pulls up the ramp and I saw why. He had been fishing out there for at least several hours with no beige plug in. Lucky he didn’t sink

About 15-20 years ago we had a 16’ aluminum StarCraft that we used for fishing the Fraser during sockeye runs. My brother and I went out one Saturday, launched off a gravel bar like usual. As we’re leaving I couldn’t get it up on plane so I start muttering about the crappy motor, piece of junk boat…until my brother, closer to the stern of the boat, realized he was standing in 4 inches of water. We made a quick return to shore to drain it and start over with the plug in. Ran like a top second time around

Launched a raft at Sugar lake one time. Way back when cherryville was still inhabited by hillbillies and city folk weren’t common out in that neck of the woods. Forgot to put my truck In gear when I shut it off. Didn’t realize it til I was on the trailer and the whole thing started to roll backwards. I scrambled up the trailer, into the box and through the open window and managed to step on the brake just as the the water level reached the level of the seat. I managed to start it but I was stuck. Couldn’t pull it out of the water. Two guys fishing in a tinner saw what was happening and raced in and pulled me out with their dodge diesel. To add insult to injury, I made the 25 mile trip to town to get a bigger truck to pull the raft out at the end of the day and when I got back some assh0le had stolen the raft.

I always (well almost always) put my plug in before I leave my house. My boat sits in my driveway tilted up a bit with plug out to drain in case of rain,or when I wash down etc. Couple of years ago I hooked up to truck in the evening so that I would be ready for a early morning get away. It rained overnight so with the boat tilted down there was a good accumulation of water on the cockpit floor. I left the plug out so that it would self drain as soon as I started to travel. My buddy showed up bright and early and I asked him to remind me when we got to the ramp to install the plug. We get to Pedder, I jump into the boat to put out fenders, rope etc and he goes in to pay ramp fee. He turns and tells me not to forget the plug. I jump out, undo the straps at the back. He comes out, I back down to the ramp and launches the boat. When I pull up to the top of the ramp I realize I forgot the plug. Back down in a hurry and yelling at my buddy to pull the boat back up to the trailer because I forgot the plug. Of course he thinks I'm kidding as he had just reminded me to install it 5 minutes ago so he keeps pulling the boat back to the end of the dock. We got it out, put the plug in and went fishing as planned with no damage done but he kept looking at me funny all day. I believe he was thinking, "What a F&*#ing idiot I'm fishing with today."

I have a piece of bright red flagging tape on my stern plug. When I do a walkaround before launching it stands out so no miustake there. (but we wont talk about launching before the tiedowns come off ! )

About 30 years ago, thinking I was so clever and knew where all the channels were, and because it was high tide, I once ran my boat out the middle arm of the Fraser instead of taking the time to run up and out the North Arm. That was the most anxious and embarrassing 15 minutes of my life as I scuffed my way through about three feet of water for what seemed like miles before I got to the edge of Sturgeon Bank. I left a trail of cloudy mud in my shameful wake, and have never been so happy to get to T10. The worst part about it was that it was my conscious decision, a true exercise in the worst kind of poor judgment. All to save myself 20 minutes. I am so lucky I didn’t end up high and dry or ground to dust in a nasty NW. I would have deserved it.

Went out on a nasty day with my new kicker that had about 20hrs on it that had a piece of Teflon as a spacer for tightness, didn’t bolt the Teflon to the bracket and it wiggles out while I was pounding the swell…heard a loud bang and wondered why my kicker jerry was a slammed against the transom(had a pod) because the kicker jumped off the bracket and pulled the jerry can before the fuel line snapped as it raced to the bottom…..was too embarrassed to go back too the place where I just bought it so I went down the road.

I watched a guy launching his (dads?) boat today at the comox ramp. safety chain was off, then I see him flip the pawl on the hand winch off..... handle is spinning a million miles an hour as I notice that he has rollers on the trailer. then there was a loud bang crush clank noise, and a few swear words. ouch

Saw a fellow a few weeks back at Tulista. He was fighting for over 20 mins to get his boat off the trailer on a super low tide, wife holding the rope while he backs down and kids watch. Eventually he gets frustrated the wife can’t pull the boat off the trailer and they switch places. She backs the trailer down further following his direction until now the boat is clearly floating but still attached to the trailer. She went in and out of the water 3 times before he finally figured out the straps were still on the transom.

A few years back a me and a buddy decided we were going to launch at brentwood when it was not open to just anyone. I hop in the boat, buddy backs down and pushes me off and then takes off in the truck to meet me at the marina down the road . I am organizing the boat for a few mins before I realize the back end of the boat is bubbling. My boat has a welded / sealed floor for floatation with a plug at the transom for draining/ inspection. I FORGOT THAT I HAD REMOVED IT over the winter to look in there. Luckily I managed to call my buddy back and do donuts to keep some of the water out of the hull. I still get a cup or so of water draining out of there every time I check it.

Own a boat long enough and you will either learn from your mistakes or those of others

Brother in law decided to launch the little Starcraft 14 we keep at the cabin. Backed it in then realised he'd forgotten the plug. Stuck it in there somehow, got it to the dock on the stern hooks, bailed it out. Didn't put it back on the trailer to verify the plug was installed correctly. Next morning, it's nearly submerged, only the stern hooks and an air pocket in the bow have prevented it from going to the bottom.

On the high tide later that days, a neighbour got a tow line from his boat onto the bow hook and managed to beach it, where it was drained and then towed back to the waiting trailer. Then followed a full afternoon of hand cranking WD40 throughout the motor (late 80s Evinrude 40), disassembly and cleaning of carburetors, etc. They were able to get it running, and I took the motor home that fall and replaced the CDI boxes and coils as a precaution. Tough old beast still runs!

While we were trolling for springs on West Coast Haida Gwaii, a boat 100' ahead hooked a big fish that ran right at us, and when I cranked the wheel too hard to port to get out of his way, I sucked a lot of our mono into the prop. I had the hip waders aboard that I wear when launching from the ramp, so while I put them on, my buddy used the kicker to motor up toward a just-submerged rock in the flat-calm water along The Wall.

As we got close, he turned sharply to edge up to the rock, and sucked some more of the trailing monofilament into the kicker, leaving us powerless as we drifted up toward the rock. I quickly unhooked one of the oars reserved for recovering from stupidity or disaster, and got us to where I could step onto the fortunately-barnacle-covered rock. While he held the boat relatively steady using the oar and an anchored piece of bull-kelp, I did surgery on the tangles, then recovered the terminal gear.

Unfortunately, the other boats on the scene were mostly manned by very familiar locals, most of them well known for their crude senses of humor and total lack of sympathy. There were lots of remarks about us being lucky to only have two motors, the weakness of my seal-stalking technique, etc. Fortunately, when we got back on the tack, the bite was still on, and in only a few short years, the incident was mostly forgotten.

Some good stories! Luckily to date, I have yet to forget the plug (knocking on wood here as I type).

One simple, silly, and relatively cheap one, thankfully. Trolling out in Bamfield and was a busy time with manning rods, battling some wind, trying to stay on tack, hurry to get the lines back down, etc. Maybe had a beer or two as well? Anyways, changing out flasher and anchovy head for a favourite set up. Undo the gear on the line and toss into boat. Get distracted listening to buddy on other side of the boat and as I turn back to my side to set gear, rod is in one hand and new flasher/teaser head combo in the other. Throw the flasher overboard and slowly see it sink away. Oops - jackass forgot to attach flasher to mainline. There goes $20.

Everyone knows about the rocks in the middle of Denham bay, towards the dent side? Particularly after one of those restored Bertram was peeled open and sank. Anyway, my first time running my boat in there early July, and it was a terrible day with winds, fog and tons of rain all in July. I had garbage old nav and sure the screen goes blank right after passing by Denham bay resort. Kept on heading along, drunken crew in tow...cut into the bay too early and crazily managed to throttle down, just in time to see the ******* rocks and bam...outdrive tapped it hard.

Fortunately, that dps and props were the only contact, if I'd been going shower it would have been hull too. Props were removed and shipped down to north Island props, back in 3 days and off we went. Had to fish with a guide in the meantime which was wise! Outdrive had a bit of a shudder and I ordered a new drive on my way back to Vancouver, hauled out and had it on in 4 hours. Expensive mistake but we could have ended up a lost worse off. Epic lesson learned.

In my early 20's, I de-hooked a fish with a nice pair of pliers, then immediately tossed the pliers overboard. I guess I was so used to tossing freed terminals overboard, I just didn't think. Or maybe I was practicing for future dementia. There also might have been beer onboard, being young and foolish in that regard.

Back