Rally Against DFO In Planning For July Long Weekend

Here is a letter I wrote to check news. They are interested in the story:

Good afternoon,

As per our brief phone conversation, I wanted to inform you and establish a story about an upcoming rally that sport fishers are planning for the July long weekend.
Recent closures by the DFO to popular salmon fishing areas in the Sooke and Sidney areas have been made with little to no notice, which has put many local guides out of work and it is affecting local businesses. The DFO ensists our boats trolling at low speeds are “disruptive” to the whales, even though there are no regulations against power boaters and whale watching boats in the same areas. Basically, we could take our rods out of the water and race around all day without breaking any laws.
The other, and most pressing issue that needs addressing is the major reduction in the stocks of wild Chinook salmon. There are at least 4 major issues that are harming the population of salmon more than recreational anglers:
-First Nations gill netting the rivers takes a large percentage of the spawning salmon and many of these fish just rot if they aren’t sold at a discount price.
-A rising seal population is taking a huge toll on salmon. A seal eats approximately 13 pounds of salmon per day and mostly feed on smaller, juvenile salmon. Again, the numbers here are staggering.
-fish farms in the ocean have been proven to poison and spread disease amongst the wild salmon and these farms should be shut down immediately and permanently
-annually a harvest of herring (salmon’s mail food source) takes place off the coast of Vancouver island. This is highly diriptive to the food chain, and is causing starvation for many salmon and whales.

Without public knowledge and action, salmon, whales and seals will all be extinct sooner than we may think and we love our oceans and want these species to flourish! We are willing to keep lower limits but we need other groups to be accountable as well.

You can reach me by email, or phone and I am happy to discuss this situation further.

Best regards,

Beware...the story you think you will be getting will not be the one you get. You will spend 10 to 20 minutes talking in front of a camera and they will pick out a couple of 10 second bits to fit the story line that their anchor person introduces. Something like this...A group of upset sports fishermen held a protest today. They are protesting the the recent closures introduced back in June by DFO to help our local endangered resident killer whales. DFO closed small portions of waters in Sooke, the Gulf Islands and the mouth of the Fraser River so that these whales would have quiet zones to hunt for their preferred food which is Chinook salmon. Chinook salmon which have been declining in numbers are also prized by sport fishermen. So they have already set you up to fail before your first 10 second spot even airs....and they are going to pick 10 seconds of your interview that fits however they want you to look. Throw in something that is said by the crowd which fits a protest scene and....you loose. Sour sports fishermen who won't even give the poor whales a small place in the ocean to fish on their own. I admire anyone who wants to be proactive...I would advise you to reach out to SFI or SVIAC and help there in an organized, sector approved effort that ensures we take 2 steps forward and none back.

Beware...the story you think you will be getting will not be the one you get. You will spend 10 to 20 minutes talking in front of a camera and they will pick out a couple of 10 second bits to fit the story line that their anchor person introduces. Something like this...A group of upset sports fishermen held a protest today. They are protesting the the recent closures introduced back in June by DFO to help our local endangered resident killer whales. DFO closed small portions of waters in Sooke, the Gulf Islands and the mouth of the Fraser River so that these whales would have quiet zones to hunt for their preferred food which is Chinook salmon. Chinook salmon which have been declining in numbers are also prized by sport fishermen. So they have already set you up to fail before your first 10 second spot even airs....and they are going to pick 10 seconds of your interview that fits however they want you to look. Throw in something that is said by the crowd which fits a protest scene and....you loose. Sour sports fishermen who won't even give the poor whales a small place in the ocean to fish on their own. I admire anyone who wants to be proactive...I would advise you to reach out to SFI or SVIAC and help there in an organized, sector approved effort that ensures we take 2 steps forward and none back.
This is exactly how it will play out.

Well what we are doing now (your suggestion) sure is working WELL!

Don’t make it about killer whales make it about lack of sports fishermens (sustenance fishing) rights on the coast as a whole

I haven’t seen anything from either SFI or SVIAC in regards to the area 18 Closure. In fact both have specifically mentioned area 19 and 20,but area 18, crickets. Am I missing something?

Thsnks profisher, I value your opinion. As mentioned in my original post I am happy to hear all sides of this.
I think your scenario sounds like what would happen if it were Fox News and Donald Trump decided on fishing regulations. I don’t think our local stations are out to make us look bad. And even if, worse case scenario, if they do... what will that do to negatively impact us? If nothing changes, there will be even shittier fishing and then in 20-30 years it will be game over. I agree, I’m not the best person to represent us, but I’m potentially trying something. This needs to get to the public somehow, to pressure the government to make changes for the future of our fishery. I have never seen a commercial on TV or radio or anything in the newspaper ever about these pressing issues from the SVIAC or SFI. Many of us have never even heard of them until the last couple of months. What’s the next step then?

Thsnks profisher, I value your opinion. As mentioned in my original post I am happy to hear all sides of this.
I think your scenario sounds like what would happen if it were Fox News and Donald Trump decided on fishing regulations. I don’t think our local stations are out to make us look bad. And even if, worse case scenario, if they do... what will that do to negatively impact us? If nothing changes, there will be even shittier fishing and then in 20-30 years it will be game over. I agree, I’m not the best person to represent us, but I’m potentially trying something. This needs to get to the public somehow, to pressure the government to make changes for the future of our fishery. I have never seen a commercial on TV or radio or anything in the newspaper ever about these pressing issues from the SVIAC or SFI. Many of us have never even heard of them until the last couple of months. What’s the next step then?

I am not sure how you couldn't have heard about SFI or SVIAC, but that is OK you do now. I have to agree with Profisher this will backfire unless its thought out and its coordinated through the groups. Maybe go to the SVIAC town hall and bring it up. Good for you for asking questions, and attempting to do something. If people want to do something immediate a first step would be if you are in a closed in area in Sooke or in Pender etc is to actively document and video tape any whale watching boat coming close and harassing whales. We all know these vessels should not be any forage zone as is stands. If we want to help whales and keep our public image we need to call it out when you see it. Things like that make our image better.

How can you guys say this is exactly how it will play out in such a negative context?

Wouldn’t it be possible the news outlet reports it exactly as presented to simply test public opinion and response?

What’s the worst that could happen? We get labeled as a bunch of demanding self serving people? Isn’t that how we’re already perceived?

Maybe consider using this as a litmus test to the bigger picture? Just a suggestion to think about.

I agree with Profisher and stand by what I said earlier in this thread. Like I said earlier no disrespect but you are an ameteur with no experience. I think we all applaud your enthusiasm however when you look at those other groups I am sure you will agree that you are no match for the media and those groups. The first perception of sportfishers the public and DFO gets has to be positive and gain their support. Think how long these other groups have been working to influence the current state, it didn't happen without much thought and planning. We aren't going to change anything this year, there is no way DFO is going to backtrack immediately so we have time to do this right. Thanks for your consideration.

Ok all, there is obviously some mixed emotions on this subject. I have received many posts and PM’s from both sides. As I’ve mentioned all along I have not been fishing forever, but since I started, it has become a serious passion. I’m already sick of the way the government treats our oceans and am not the type of person to sit around and not be heard. (As you can tell by my 500+ posts since I started these forums last fall.)
I couldn’t imagine how badly I would feel if this goes ahead and screw over in some way the veterans and all others for that matter that have had fishing be a big part of their lives for years and even decades. (Or centuries in Fishtofino’s case)
I figured the reward of doing this outweighs the risk, but maybe I should just go back to talking about Shimano Technium rods and asking what kind of bait people are using. Oh, and don’t forget my witty comments about boats for sale.
Basically I’m putting a pin in this and I hope the organizations that we pay into do a good job of representing us in the near future. Sorry to those who supported it, but as I said up front we really need to be united on this and we are not.

Stizzla, I’m actually 100% on board with what your doing. But you best go into this with a clear head and a damn good ability to articulate your view point (which is 100% valid) or these leeches who more than likely have already firm contacts with the irrational/self serving environmentalists which are well funded, tear your argument apart.

Fake new is a real thing and the owners of the propaganda machine know who their masters are.

For those who question my negativity towards the media...not my first rodeo...have been in front of the camera many times and been disappointed more times than not watching the news later. What have the media headers said every time we have these kind of restrictions going back to the coho restrictions in the late 90's. The headline has been sport fishing closing every single time. Is that accurate? Not even close. The first time it happened I swore never to buy another Times Colonist newspaper again as so many potential visitors cancelled trips or just assumed we were closed and booked elsewhere. They are all about headlines and story lines that sell. Any protest has to convince the public to support you...you don't need to convince anglers they are already in your camp. Social media is the better way....no one is going to edit your story.

I applaud you Stizzla, you are new to fishing and are trying to do SOMETHING. So far I have not seen much or heard of a plan to do anything other than a letter writing blitz witch was a last minute thing and now a meeting to hear what we already know and try to get a MLA to go tell his buddies that we are all pissed off. I believe we need to get out front of this and make as much noise as possible. Get the story out there, and get joe public talking about it. I am not bashing all these groups that are fighting for our rights but I don't hear any plans they have to get the message out there either. I support some of these groups, but to be honest I never hear or receive anything from most of them in the form of emails or updates. In fact I just received my first email from one of them the other day for a bill to renew my membership due on receipt. I was under the impression that it was my choice to support them.
I agree with Profisher that Social Media is the way to go these days word gets out fast and spreads quick. I have passed all the info I find on my small social media accounts that I have.
Again Stizzla good on you for trying to get something going.

I applaud you Stizzla, you are new to fishing and are trying to do SOMETHING. So far I have not seen much or heard of a plan to do anything other than a letter writing blitz witch was a last minute thing and now a meeting to hear what we already know and try to get a MLA to go tell his buddies that we are all pissed off. I believe we need to get out front of this and make as much noise as possible. Get the story out there, and get joe public talking about it. I am not bashing all these groups that are fighting for our rights but I don't hear any plans they have to get the message out there either. I support some of these groups, but to be honest I never hear or receive anything from most of them in the form of emails or updates. In fact I just received my first email from one of them the other day for a bill to renew my membership due on receipt. I was under the impression that it was my choice to support them.
Again Stizzla good on you for trying to get something going.

I really want people to correct me if I’m wrong here, but the fact is this is something families/friends in the community have done with each other for many generations, it’s part of our culture too.

We will take our hits when needed, but this is an attack on part of a lot of people’s culture and traditions. It’s not a white thing, it’s a eastern/western/world culture thing.

The fact the restrictions on rec fisherman don’t seem on paper to be a solution makes it even worse.

I think the most effective thing we could do is try and convince Stu Young to quit as mayor and run in the Federal riding for Sooke. He is well known, obviously electable and is a sport fisherman and has a marine dealership in the riding. More can be done from within than from looking in. He should be asked if he would consider it.

Stizzla you asked about not seeing anything on TV from our support groups like SVIAC. I think many here would have a more realistic view of the situation if they attended one of the SVIAC AGMS which is open to all and paid close attention to the financial report. Annual adult and corporate memberships fund the lobbying component of their work. Recently an invoice was sent out to past members who have not renewed as funds are badly needed to lobby right now. A few people have signed up again ( I get notifications for payments on the SVIAC site) . I think we have close to 300 people who haven't kept up their membership (invoices were sent to those individuals) and the invoice has resulted in somewhere between 12-15 people signing up again.

We're not going to take it, we're not going to take it, we're not going to take it anymore! Excuse my ignorance. What's SVIAC and SFI? Thanx

Back